"kenyee;2020700]DSLR I thought meant APS-C or FF w/ a mirrorbox?"

Pentax 645D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 17971 B&H Photo Video

It is a single lens reflex.

07-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I think the Olympus E series was the most sealed system but sadly it has ended. Pentax have produced a handful of sealed lenses and bodies but most lenses aren't sealed, nor Pentax have made it a major selling point probably because they don't have full confidence in it either.

Not making it a marketing point at all...

07-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not making it a marketing point at all...
ROFLMAO! Guess he missed the video that was put up here of the asian K-30 ad with the guy on wires running through puddles and shooting in the rain too.

07-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Forum Member

Only Canon L lenses with IS are weather-sealed plus a few non-IS. Non-IS L lenses are usually NOT sealed whatsoever. I just saw a picture of a fly that hatched behind the front element of a 70-200mm f/4 L lens. However, Canon still does make 14 lenses that are weather sealed and 2 teleconverters. Nikon has 14 weather sealed lenses. But they are very, I mean very expensive. Pentax produces 13 lenses that are marked as WR. I think that's quite a large number considering that several of them are inexpensive.

07-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
Only Canon L lenses with IS are weather-sealed plus a few non-IS. Non-IS L lenses are usually NOT sealed whatsoever. I just saw a picture of a fly that hatched behind the front element of a 70-200mm f/4 L lens. However, Canon still does make 14 lenses that are weather sealed and 2 teleconverters. Nikon has 14 weather sealed lenses. But they are very, I mean very expensive. Pentax produces 13 lenses that are marked as WR. I think that's quite a large number considering that several of them are inexpensive.
Thank you for the numbers to compare with the Big Two. I think its even more amazing because Pentax has SO few lenses overall in comparison to either of those makers.
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
Also, Canon L lenses are only sealed if they have a filter on. The non-IS lenses are just barely sealed. I don't know about Nikon lenses.
07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That video darned near gave me an orgasm sitting here and not because the photographer was a pretty Japanese guy....

07-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That video darned near gave me an orgasm sitting here and not because the photographer was a pretty Japanese guy....
Ah...err....glad to be of help
07-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You're welcome, sweetie....
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't think that's true at all...Canon L lenses are sealed as are the Nikon higher dollar lenses.
Not all Canon L lenses are sealed... edit: oh, it's been answered already

btw

I hope this marketing trend of Pentax continues, at least for the K-30's line.

also, only Pentax makes the cheapest WR lens... the DA 18-55 WR. while it is optically entry-level, built-wise it is good enough for outdoor action.

Last edited by Alizarine; 07-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.