Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #1

Does Pentax make the most weatherproof Cameras? and lenses

Was just looking at other brands mostly Nikon and it seems most are not weather sealed. If this is true Pentax should really push this as a selling point. For me its one of the things that is keeping me from switching brands.

Last edited by coreyhkh; 07-11-2012 at 08:06 AM.
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I remember when I was researching Shock and waterproof cameras, Olympus was the first big one on the block, everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. I could be wrong. Certainly it's a good idea. As far as DSLRs go, for the price Pentax has that niche. They better capitalize on it. It's one thing which sold me on it when I was researching DSLR.
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most weatherproof?

I don't think so - considering the full frame bodies of Canon and Nikon are weatherproof.

But most affordable weatherproof systems? Yeah - that's Pentax.
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Please look at Nikon and Canon's Entry and Mid-range cameras. They are not weather sealed or resistant. It's pretty much only a high end feature with the Big Two. Pentax offering it in an $850 body is remarkable and pretty unique in the dSLR range.

07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thing to take into consideration is sealed lenses. Only Pentax has them. Canon and Nikon only have a few really expensive sealed lenses.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Another thing to take into consideration is sealed lenses. Only Pentax has them.
I don't think that's true at all...Canon L lenses are sealed as are the Nikon higher dollar lenses.
07-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Olympus has the most seals, then the Canon 1D series, then the Pentax high end DSLRs, then Nikon's bodies...

07-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I think Olympus has the most seals, then the Canon 1D series, then the Pentax high end DSLRs, then Nikon's bodies...
Sorry but there are no "high-end" Pentax dSLRs. The K-5, wonderful camera that it is, is not a high-end camera. Just look at Nikon and Canon and you'll see that they have loads of dSLR cameras that are higher end. The K-5 is a Prosumer level camera and has the most seals at that level. From the reports so far the K-30 appears to have the same number of seals as the K-5 is you discount the grip attachment points (the K-30 doesn't have them, thus no need for seals at those points).

More specifically, the K-7 and K-5 have 77 seals, while the EOS-1D X has 76 seals, but the K-7 and K-5 have fewer control points than any EOS-1 series camera. The D-BG4 battery grip adds an additional 43 seals.

You might try these if you want to know more:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/177558-how-does-pe...g-compare.html

Camera Labs :: View topic - 7D Weather Seal on Battery Grip

Or this discussion on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon5d...7612534041890/
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry but there are no "high-end" Pentax dSLRs.
It's their "high-end" since there is no higher DSLR in the Pentax lineup.
And yes, it's prosumer for Canikon users no doubt
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's their "high-end" since there is no higher DSLR in the Pentax lineup.
And yes, it's prosumer for Canikon users no doubt
Everything is not relative. High-End means something and Pentax not having one does not magically transform the K-5, lovely camera that it is, into one.
07-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't think that's true at all...Canon L lenses are sealed as are the Nikon higher dollar lenses.
Not all L lenses are sealed.
Are there any pictures of L or Nikkor lenses, like the Pentax lens "xray" pictures, where you can see the actual seal construction of the lens? Some might have the mount o-ring, but that's far from weather sealing.
07-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

it's their "high-end" since there is no higher dslr in the pentax lineup.
645d?
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
645d?
DSLR I thought meant APS-C or FF w/ a mirrorbox?

645D is MF and most people don't talk about them as DSLRs, though the 645D broke a lot of new ground in make Digital MF user friendly instead of having sucky AF sensors that didn't focus, sucky LCD screens on the back that were pixelated, etc. They raised the bar and pushed Leica to release their S2 series to address their lack of features. DMF is just in a different class...muchhhh slower shooting, no video, huge and heavy w/ better image quality (though the D800 is certainly going to push them to innovate harder at the low end like the 645D did)...
07-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think the Olympus E series was the most sealed system but sadly it has ended. Pentax have produced a handful of sealed lenses and bodies but most lenses aren't sealed, nor Pentax have made it a major selling point probably because they don't have full confidence in it either.
07-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I think the Olympus E series was the most sealed system but sadly it has ended. Pentax have produced a handful of sealed lenses and bodies but most lenses aren't sealed, nor Pentax have made it a major selling point probably because they don't have full confidence in it either.
Lately there have been a lot of photos showing up with K30s covered in water drops, K7s covered in mud (yuck). I think as far as affordable sealed body/lens combo, Pentax probably has the cheapest options (combine K30 body with 18-55 WR zoom), but certainly there are plenty of other companies out there with nicely sealed packages. They just often are more expensive.