Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FPS while shooting K20D in Continuous Lo until card fills up?

So I'm mucking around w/ trying to do a flipbook and from multiple reviews, the K20D can supposedly sustain 2.3 FPS until the card fills up.
I'm using the fastest SD card (not SDXC since that's now supported) I know of (the Sandisk Extreme III before they neutered it and made it slower and cheaper) and shooting in 6MP JPEG, but it still hits about 20 images and then slows down to less than 1 FPS.
I also have AF set to the rear button, so it's not focusing. And I'm on manual exposure at 1/180sec. And shake reduction is off. I can't figure out what else to set to get it to work as expected

The K10D supposedly did 3FPS until the card filled because it had a smaller sensor, and the K-5 (1.5FPS?) is slower than the K20D. Apparently the sensor density has a lot to do w/ frame rate because it seems to read the entire sensor instead of a subset of it.

Anyone ever try Continuous Lo shooting? Do you get more than 20 frames before is slows wayyyy down?

07-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you've any options on like extended dynamic range or noise reduction?
07-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not normal and it seems that your camera settings incl. some in-camera PP, incl. NR, High-ISO NR, lens distiortion corrections...
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K20D doesn't have lens distortion correction.
No dynamic range either. It's at ISO100, f/8, 1/180, AF.C (but that shouldn't matter because it's using the AF button). NR shouldn't affect it, but it's on default settings.

I'm baffled...do any of you guys have a K20D still that can try this?

07-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought the k20d had a option like shadow and highlight correction but I could be wrong though...
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
.... NR shouldn't affect it, ...
Wrong. NR does require some in-camera PP and this may delay the output to the card, ultimately slowing down the continuous shooting.

One quick query: have you tried with another card? Even with an Extreme II, if there is a pb with the card, it may slow down the burst output..

Last edited by hcc; 07-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.
07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I thought the k20d had a option like shadow and highlight correction but I could be wrong though...
It only had dynamic range (and when you turn that on, you can only go down to ISO200).
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K20D vs. Pentax K-01 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
they added shadow correction in the K-7:
Pentax K-7 Review: Digital Photography Review

07-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Wrong. NR does require some in-camera PP and this may delay the output to the card, ultimately slowing down the continuous shooting.

One quick query: have you tried with another card? Even with an Extreme II, if there is a pb with the card, it may slow down the burst output..
Checked NR. The K20D had limited NR settings since it always had a pretty noisy sensor. So you only had a choice of "low shutter speed NR" w/ Auto/On (I have it set to Auto), and high ISO NR which I have it set to weakest.
Neither should be kicking in because I'm at ISO100.

Also tried setting it to AF-S and MF on the odd chance it's trying to run the continuous focus algorithm even though I had it set to use the AF button on the back.

And GordonBGood on DPR suggested switching to 14MP files in case downsampling was slowing it down.

I mentioned I tried a Transcend 8GB card as well...it was highly regarded at the time, but the Extreme III is faster. Still hits 20 images and slows down.

Still a mystery
07-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I wasnt that far of then but i assume that option is off as well...
The best thing you could do is do a factory reset and see what it does then.
If it doesnt work then then at least it arent the settings.
07-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Gallery
It is faster in AF-s and with native 14,5 megapixel and one star quality.
07-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to Bela on DPR for doing a test and listing her settings.

The one setting that made a difference: Image Mode was set to "Bright" instead of "Natural".
I would have thought it would have been able to be done in hardware (just a simple curve done via variations to the analog readouts), but no...it's apparently using the image processor to do it :-P
Turned back on AWB, AF-C, SR and none of those made a difference (you can't turn off NR on the K20D because of the noisy Samsung sensor)...I'm surprised AWB and SR don't make a difference.

Thanks to all for trying to help...
07-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FYI, the K-30 also has a Continuous Lo rate of 3FPS (the K-5 has a CL rate of 1.5FPS). Apparently, the new DIGIC processor has been beefed up a bit :-)
Pentax's web site support email guy didn't know what my problem was, but did dig that info up when I asked what Pentax DSLR goes the fastest at CL (the Canon 50D can do 6fps and the 7D can do 8fps continous for a point of comparison...but that's mainly from higher CF bandwidth because Nikon's go slower)...