Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Wich cards for future Pentax camera's?
SDXC (SD/SDHC cards). 650.00%
XQD. 18.33%
dual slot SDXC and XQD. 433.33%
I don't care/I don't know. 18.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
XQD versus SDXC

Should Pentax stick with (SD/SDHC) SDXC -cards or move on to the new and potential faster XQD format? It's fair to say that Pentax won't move towards CF-cards, since that would have been done for 645D.

Only Nikon D4 uses XQD at this moment. Only Sony makes the cards, but Lexar announced to enter that market as well.

07-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every format that Sony has ever championed has died a horrible death. They moved from their own Memory Stick format to SDs a couple of years ago. They were the orginators of many other digital formats across multiple platforms and I think each has been supplanted by other companies formats in every instance. I have stopped choosing anything with a Sony backed format for its media because they just keep failing.
07-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I think for the higher end high MP models a dual slot that supports XQD would be wise. SD is just too slow for huge files (one of the few faults with the 645D IMO)
XQD is getting support now from Nikon (one of the originators along with Sandisk who haven't produced any yet)
Sony is putting it in broadcast gear too
With only the D4 so far though it may be a couple of generations before it goes anywhere
Cfast the other envisioned Compact flash replacement has gone nowhere so far

Ultimately there is a need for someothing that performs better thand CF and SD with the ever increasing file sizes. D4 makes sense since it's users are looking for the fastest speed possible. The Sony Broadcast gear that is going to get it makes sense for the same reason

The thing that would make it fail is Sony trying to control it too much (witness past sony fails like Beta, MD, Memory Stick etc).
07-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think for the higher end high MP models a dual slot that supports XQD would be wise. SD is just too slow for huge files (one of the few faults with the 645D IMO)
XQD is getting support now from Nikon (one of the originators along with Sandisk who haven't produced any yet)
Sony is putting it in broadcast gear too
With only the D4 so far though it may be a couple of generations before it goes anywhere
Cfast the other envisioned Compact flash replacement has gone nowhere so far

Ultimately there is a need for someothing that performs better thand CF and SD with the ever increasing file sizes. D4 makes sense since it's users are looking for the fastest speed possible. The Sony Broadcast gear that is going to get it makes sense for the same reason

The thing that would make it fail is Sony trying to control it too much (witness past sony fails like Beta, MD, Memory Stick etc).

Agreed. If its a cooperative effort with SanDisk then it may succeed. The problem has been on the licensing its use in electronics front, not on the licensing of production of the media side of the equation, for previous Sony media like the Memory Sticks, MD, Beta, etc. Sony really needs to loosen up on that or they will doom the XQD to the fate of each and every other of their media formats IMHO.

07-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I voted myself for SDXC only. Maybe a second slot would be great for some camera's (two SDXC slots), but I think that investing in a new system is not word the efford. The new SDXC cards can write in a speed up to 90 MB/s (my transent cardreader can only get 78 MB/s out of it in USB 3.0) so that is more then enough for me. To get to double that speed Pentax has to invest in electronics, wich is a wast of money to me. The current camera's can't even get to the max-speed of SDXC (as far as I know) so we did not reached the limits. I would like USB 3.0 in the camera so we don't have to fiddle with cards anymore, but just hookup the camera to our PC. I want to keep using my new cards for some years. On the other hand, when XQD is the future, then jumping ship a.s.a.p. would be logical.
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had never even heard of XQD . Just looked it up.

Looks like the spec allows from 1 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s . Ie. 125 MB/s to 500 MB/s .
Currently the only XQD cards of the 125 MB/s variety.

SDXC with UHS-1 already go up to 104MB/s or 832 Mb/s. Not quite XQD speed, but close.
SDXC UHS-2 cards are supposed to go to 300 MB/s or 2400 Mb/s . This is less than half of the theoretical maximum for XQD.

Neither UHS-2 cards nor XQD 5 Gb/s cards are available at the moment.

The biggest benefit I see with XQD that I see is the larger size. The cards can go beyond 2 TB.
That is not possible with SDXC, even UHS-2 . The limit of 2 TB stays.

On the other hand, SDXC UHS-2 cards will continue to work with today's cameras and card readers even if they don't work at full UHS speeds.

The cameras don't even fully take advantage of even UHS-1 speeds right now. At some point, I suspect there will be enough RAM in the cameras that card write speeds will be much less relevant. And there is no reason that camera firmware cannot improve and multi-task a little bit - ie. allow you to continue shooting if the buffer is not full, while flushing other parts of the buffer to the cards. The current cameras that block completely while the buffer is being flushed are just not that smart.

So, I see the write speed as pretty much irrelevant for cameras. Even 4K video can work just fine with today's UHS-1 card speeds.
The 2TB limit could be an issue with 4K video, though. Looks like there is one JVC 4K camcorder that records 4K at 144 Mbps or 18 MB/s, well below the max speeds of current UHS-1 cards. A 2TB card would hold 30 hours of video at that rate, which is still fairly respectable. Of course, you would want to transfer it to the computer faster than 1:1 time Current UHS-1 at 104 MB/s could transfer it in about 1/6 of the video time.

Based on Sony's history with memory stick and many other technologies, I don't think their prices on XQD cards will be competitive.
The most compatible cards will likely win in the marketplace, ie. SDHC/SDXC with UHS-1/UHS-2 , even if their max speeds and max sizes are less than for XQD.