Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Lovers In Ireland -- Some Good News!

Shopping around for a camera here in Eire is difficult enough with the low population base. If you're out of Dublin you may as well forget it. To make matters worse, Pentax pulled out of Ireland completely so you can find Ricoh, Samsung, Sony... but no Pentax.

That is until I noticed that the catalogue seller Argos actually has the two Pentax kits in their inventory! Not only that, but they apparently kept the price the same when the K100D stepped up to the K100D Super. The website has the text for the old model but a picture of the new one. The print catalogue shows the new model correctly.

The price? €400. This compares amazingly well with all the competition. Including delivery I was looking at €486 for a unit from the UK. With Argos I have the benefit of a one year defect replacement cover, with no questions asked. And in fact I went for their 3-year accidental damage cover as well, since this will be a family camera.

Now, if only they sold lenses that cheaply!

So yesterday I official became a Pentaxian.

01-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Pentax is back in Ireland

Hi - I am working with Pentax UK to get distribution in Ireland back to where it should be and am pleased to say we are making headway. Conns Cameras in Dublin have just agreed to be a Pro Centre and will receive stock of KX and K7 within January.
Best wishes.
01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #3

I suppose Conns re-stocking Pentax is good news in some ways. I went in there before xmas to look at a K7 to see if it's worth upgrading from a K20D. And there was no Pentax stock at all. Not even P&S cams. The only thing they had was an old K100Ds at an outrageous price.
Conn's were previously the only Pentax pro stockist in Ireland, so options were limited.

The main problem with them is that they are just off one of the fanciest shopping streets in Dublin, no doubt paying very high rents. As a result, their prices are sometimes €200+ more then online prices.

If it wasn't for the high delivery charges of Warehouse Express, or the fact that SRS won't ship to Ireland, then Conns wouldn't get any business at all.

Pentax need to get their brand stocked by the likes of Harvey Norman or Power City. Since the likes of Dixons/Curry's et al won't stock them.

BTW - I bought a K100Ds from Argos on sale 2 yrs ago. they seem to have dropped the brand altogether now.
01-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So yesterday I official became a Pentaxian.
Wow, with such humble beginnings, who would have said you'd come to be The 31 Ltd Killer 2 years later

07-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m Patrick Dinneen, from Cork but living in Galway, West Ireland.

I have a passion for photography and tend to shoot anything and everything; an eclectic mix.
I shoot with a Pentax K-7 DSLR. A lot of people ask why a Pentax, or rather ask why not a Canon or Nikon? The answer, I suppose is because it got great reviews and I like the feel of it.

I also try to keep a compact on me/in the car for anything I stumble upon. I’d recommend that you always have a camera within reach if possible. As they say- “the best camera in the world is the one you have on you.”

LENSES & OTHERS

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sports lens
Tamron 18-55 f2.8 lens
Pentax 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens
Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens. This is great for low-light photography and blurred background photos (think portraits).
I have a cheap Pentax AF280-T flash (which i never use to be honest). It’s my first flash and my plan was to play around with it and upgrade to a better one if I used it much.

this is my photoblog
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought a familiar face has returned to the forum to find a different story. Ireland is a really beautiful place to travel to.
08-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I will be living in Galway in about three days time, so I too will be out there shooting (but not buying) Pentax. Actually, since I just finished university and am now paying for my wedding and moving countries I don't have any money left anyway. Maybe in a few months when I've got some pay cheques in my pocket...
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Nation Quote
I will be living in Galway in about three days time, so I too will be out there shooting (but not buying) Pentax. Actually, since I just finished university and am now paying for my wedding and moving countries I don't have any money left anyway. Maybe in a few months when I've got some pay cheques in my pocket...
I'm in Galway too, might meet up some time.
What equiptment do you have, you can see mine in 2 posts above. I hope to upgrade to a K-7 soon.
Cheers,
pa

08-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In Ireland it is still very limited to actually buying anything if you have a preference for Pentax. Conns Camera's has been mentioned, I called them up once to buy a K-5 but I was told that they do not hold any stock and it would have to be ordered in. I thought that being a Pentax Pro meant that you had to have stock in....
I did see a 2nd hand DFA100 Macro once in one of Cork's camera shops, €629 , lunacy, in that you could buy a new one at the time for £399.
Lastly SRSMicrosystems do ship to Ireland. Their postage is reasonable, packing exemplary and turnaround on the same day for most orders before 3pm I think. Would highly recommend them.

Pa, skip the K-7 and hold out for a K-5, the ISO advantage blows away the €200 or so difference in price.