Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Mac and PC tethered shooting with Pentax

Noticed several older threads here regarding shooting tethered with Pentax and that it apparently was dropped or discontinued by the company. After a bit of digging, I found there are a couple programs out there (free by the way) for this. One is dedicated for MacOSX and the other is apparently for PCs. The Mac program is available at the site: <www.sofortbildapp.com> and has been around for a couple years or so. I cannot say much about it as I have not used a Mac for nearly 15 years. The PC program may be found at this site: <http://edgeofphotography.blogspot.com/2010/12/tether-shootihg-program-for-pentax.html>. That is not a typo of mine, the site actually does have the word "shootihg" instead of "shooting", I copied and pasted the URL after opening the site. I downloaded it today and have played around with it a bit. It seems to work fairly well to me. The only problem I noted is when tethered to your computer, the images are not saved to the memory card. I think saving to both the memory card and the computer is an option that should be considered as it is a sort of safety back-up in case the computer crashed or had a glitch of some sort. Anyway, thought the previous threads were interesting and figured I'd start a new one to update the subject.

07-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are three main PC tethering software solutions for Pentax that I am aware of.

The first is made by Pentax itself but is only for the 645D and costs US$199.
PENTAX IMAGE Transmitter

The other two are both freebies:

PKTether (Windows only), as mentioned in the article you linked to:
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

and PKTriggercord (Windows and Linux):
pkTriggerCord

PKTether has some quirks but mostly works OK for me.

The Pentax 645D 'PENTAX IMAGE Transmitter' was announced some months ago and was supposed to be available in May but it doesn't look like there is anywhere on the web where it is actually for sale yet. It would have been good to get some more details of it from somewhere other than the initial press release.
10-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
"sofortbildapp" is for nikon cameras and not for pentax. I don't know if there's a trick to use it with pentaxcams, but at least I haven't found one :-/
10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

The day somebody finds a way to tether to MacOSX, I'll be a happy camper. So far, no such luck.

10-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
tether to MacOSX
If you only needed limited tethering features (ie immediate image transfer to computer or tablet), you could use a WiFi SD card card like the standard FLU card or a SanDisk Eye-Fi card. The standard FLU Card even has some iOS apps that do various other useful tethery things.
10-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you only needed limited tethering features (ie immediate image transfer to computer or tablet), you could use a WiFi SD card card like the standard FLU card or a SanDisk Eye-Fi card. The standard FLU Card even has some iOS apps that do various other useful tethery things.
I think connecting a TV-screen to a camera makes more sense than instant image-upload, that's why Eye-fi cards aren't interesting for me. The Flu-Cards sound very interesting though. Do you know if they're working on a K-5, by chance? The compatibility-list shows the K-7 and the K5II, but not the K-5 itself, so I'm a bit confused.

Edit: just found out that the "various other useful tethery things" aren't what they appeared to be when looking at the app-names:-/ Thought an App called "Shoot&View" would let you shoot and view, but in the end it's just another instant-upload. Geo-/tagging and upload-functions aren't interesting for me :-/

Last edited by rontz; 10-23-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Read edit.
10-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rontz Quote
...The Flu-Cards sound very interesting though. Do you know if they're working on a K-5, by chance? The compatibility-list shows the K-7 and the K5II, but not the K-5 itself, so I'm a bit confused.
If they show the older K-7 and the K-5II, then I'd be pretty confident that they would work on the K-5. I suggest you email them and ask, or ask Pentax if they have any experience with the standard model.
10-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rontz Quote
I think connecting a TV-screen to a camera makes more sense than instant image-upload, that's why Eye-fi cards aren't interesting for me. The Flu-Cards sound very interesting though. Do you know if they're working on a K-5, by chance? The compatibility-list shows the K-7 and the K5II, but not the K-5 itself, so I'm a bit confused.

Edit: just found out that the "various other useful tethery things" aren't what they appeared to be when looking at the app-names:-/ Thought an App called "Shoot&View" would let you shoot and view, but in the end it's just another instant-upload. Geo-/tagging and upload-functions aren't interesting for me :-/
The Pentax-specific customized FluCard is supposed to allow selection of AF point, LiveView and camera operation (perhpas some functions limited) from a tethered device such as a tablet or laptop. There may be additional functions - I don't recall. Wi-Fi file transfer has already been enabled through Eye-Fi, Flu and other cards. Eye-Fi has card-specific set-up and Menus built into Firmware for various new bodies (and FW updated functions for reecent older bodies), as you stated.

See the video linked HERE:

At 1:31 the photographer inserts the FluCard. In addition to Wirelsss Transfer, from 2:14 to 2:45 there is discussion of Wi-Fi capabilities with B-roll of the possible controls managed on a tablet.
  • View images (Play)
    • select from thumbnails
  • Aperture select
  • Shutter Speed select
  • Focus
    • Focus-point select
  • Shutter Release
The FluCard for Pentax with the K3 will answer some of your needs and wants.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-23-2013 at 08:11 AM.