Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D and b&w infrared mode

Thought that the IR mode would take a normal shot and convert it to IR in camera. This would be the same as converting a normal shot using a computer. Neat but "fake IR" to me. Still fun to use. Especially with live view (if they work together).
Wondering if thats what they are doing? Wouldn't it be possible for a digital camera to merely exclude all the "daylight info" when making a picture? The camera knows how to make a histogram so it seems it would know how to exclude all the unnecessary daylight info. This would leave only the IR. If the camera could do this it would rid us of all the dark filter shooting, and all the "converted camera" nonsense. Amazingly wonderful. Is it possible? Doesn't seem like it would be that hard. Its always easy to throw info away (look at digital zoom).
thanks
barondla

01-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't all modern digital cameras have a built-in IR filter? Wouldn't that make the entire picture black if it excluded all the "daylight info"?
01-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All digital cameras, modern ones, have IR Filters, but they are cut filters! They cut out/block out most of the IR light spectrum. That is why you need such long exposures to do IR on non-modified cameras. Some longer then others due to those models having stronger IR Cut Pass Filters.

I guess, it would be possible for the camera to cut out all the daylight spectrum below say 750nm to leave nothing but near IR and IR light in the picture, but I have no clue how they would do it.

I am kind of anxious for this feature. If it somehow actually does a true IR, which I doubt, then I will be a happy camper! It will save me the $$$ to pay to have my Canon 20D converted over to IR and then I can just sell the 20D and be rid of Canon, lol. But I have a sneaky suspicion that it is just a "faked" IR.
01-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well the lit says it is converted in camera. So it is "fake" infrared. Darn. Still neat though. The lit is beautiful. Surprised that both K20D and K200D are in the same brouchure. Also love the way the lcd can be calibrated and the menu type enlarged. Guess this means you can't use liveview to preview IR effects.
thanks
barondla

01-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The IR is most definitely a software application. Photoshop has this effect available when you convert to B&W, for example, so having it in-camera is just a gimmick feature. If there ever is a camera that can take true IR photos without needing a filter (and take normal photos too), it will cost a lot more than $1200!