Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sports shooters K100d super

was wondering how much of a limitation is the buffer and fps on the k100d super? i'm looking to shoot my kids soccer, baseball and basketball leagues as well as occasional professional basketball, football, and baseball games.

or is the k10d better suited for this? how much of a drawback is the af of either camera.

anyone have samples to show? thanks for your feedback.

01-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #2

I have a K100, so basically the same as a Super. I never really use the continous drive mode because most of the action you want to catch is milliseconds, not 1/3 of a second. When I have used it, it seemed fast enough to me.

The buffer can become a problem if you shoot in raw. Not a major problem, but more of an annoyance that you'll occansionally run into. Overall I'm very happy with my camera.

If you're debating on what to buy, I'd suggest spending a bunch of time with one at a store and trying them out. Play with it, make it focus at the extreme ends of the scale and see how fast it seems. See if you like the continous shooting. Try shots of peoples feet while they walk to see if you can get the "timing" of the steps. Only you will be able to tell if you like it.
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #3

I think for sports you should go with the K10D since it has an unlimited Jpeg buffer and if you shoot RAW, it also shoots around 12 instead of the 3 or 4 that the K100D does. It also has weather proofing in case it gets kinda dustay if you know what I mean. Either way both are great cameras and you can still shoot sports with the K100D I just think you could get better results with the K10D.

Just for the record I happen to have both so im not as biased as I seem lol
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

My problem with the K100D was that if I accidently filled the buffer, it felt like it could take ages waiting for the camera to write the shots to disk, mean while I several times missed expressions that I would have wanted to capture. I always shoot raw btw.

01-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, I'll say it. If you want to shoot sports, why not look at Nikon or Canon? They have lots of the long, fast (and expensive) glass you'll need to properly shoot indoor sports. Plus they have higher frame rates (FPS) and faster AF than Pentax.

If you want to go with Pentax, I'd pick the K10D. The Pentax can do it, but just look at all the people whining about how the new K20D doesn't "machine gun" like their neighbor's Canon or Nikon, and how they just can't keep up with sports. Personally, I think it can be done with Pentax, but Pentax has never really shown that sports/action shooting is a priority with them. Canon sponsors the NFL and that's why you'll see most of the people on the sidelines with (expensive) white lenses. They put priority into fast frame rates and faster AF. Pentax focuses on high ISO performance and in-body stabilization. Different priorities.

BTW, lest anyone think you just can't shoot sports with the K10D, these were taken from the stands (second deck) using the K10D and the DA*50-135. Excuse the crappy white balance. That's my fault, not the camera's.

01-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i shoot a lot of sports with my K100D and i do not have a lot of truble with it i am not a pry and spray tipe eather but very little problem with scocer and baceball thow i did get the K10D becuse of the unlimted jpeg shooting BUT i still do use the K100d a LOT becuse of the asa 3200 i have also coverd fiers wrecks ect.. with the K100D these have a LOT of fast moving people also the big thing is KNOW the sport your shooting that is the best thing.

i often am ther with other photojs that use D2X and D1 mark ??? and i have no problems keeping up with them as far as getting the photos that i wont yes the fps is slower and the buffer is less but i shoot less photos and get as meny usable photos as they do. heck i often use MF lens LOL.

my avatar is shot with the K100D