Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D - GX10 Lenses

At the chance of looking stupid can anyone confirm if the Samsung and Pentax lenses use the same mount?

Thanks Dave

01-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I won't judge you , but yes, they both use K mounts.
01-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

what about other differences?

Is there some place that will itemize the differences between the Samsung and Pentax cameras? Will my K10D grip, which will work on the K20D, also work on the GX20?

Is the Samsung camera really as good as the Pentax in every way--except for having a less prestigious brand name?

Will
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Is there some place that will itemize the differences between the Samsung and Pentax cameras? Will my K10D grip, which will work on the K20D, also work on the GX20?

Is the Samsung camera really as good as the Pentax in every way--except for having a less prestigious brand name?

Will
Yeah they pretty much are the same in every aspect except some very minor cosmetic differences, and the GX10 was only able to shoot one kind of raw type file instead of the two that the K10D was able to shoot. As for the grip, the Pentax grip does not fit the Samsung Gx-anything because of the said cosmetic differences but Samsung is said to be coming out with a grip of their own.

Here is a link to a brief discussion about the Gx20 and how it somewhat compares to the K20D

Samsung GX-20 brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review

01-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silus001 Quote
Yeah they pretty much are the same in every aspect except some very minor cosmetic differences, and the GX10 was only able to shoot one kind of raw type file instead of the two that the K10D was able to shoot.
Ah, thanks, Silus001.

Does the Samsung create PEF files? I wish that the K10D could create compressed DNG files, but PEF is okay. On the other hand, if the Samsung creates its own files, well, that's a small disadvantage, as the Samsung seems to have less "mindshare" than Pentax does and so software vendors probably worry about support changes in the PEF format first.

QuoteQuote:
As for the grip, the Pentax grip does not fit the Samsung Gx-anything because of the said cosmetic differences but Samsung is said to be coming out with a grip of their own.
I see. Well, that might be enough to discourage me personally from buying the Samsung. My reason for buying the Samsung would be simply to save a little money. And I don't need to have two cameras with grips, at least I've been getting by with just one camera with a grip so far. If I get the K20D, I can use my current grip with the new camera and start using the K10D as my backup or second camera without a grip. If I had to buy a new grip for the Samsung, well, that would eat up the price difference that I expect between the two brands.

I am sure that the Samsung is an excellent camera, functionally identical or very close to the Pentax counterpart. But since I've bought into the Pentax line already, I guess I'll stay there. I'd like to save some $$, but I might not be able to by switching.

QuoteQuote:
Here is a link to a brief discussion about the Gx20 and how it somewhat compares to the K20D

Samsung GX-20 brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review
Excellent. Thanks again.

Will
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello Dave,

I have Schneider D-Xenon 100mm 2.8 MACRO and it works fine, just like Pentax lens.
01-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Schneider-Kreuznach lenses for the Samsung GX series are actually rebranded SMC Pentax. They are optically and mechanically identical.

01-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The Schneider-Kreuznach lenses for the Samsung GX series are actually rebranded SMC Pentax. They are optically and mechanically identical.
Can anybody explain this to me? Why in heaven's name would you take lenses by the famous and noble Japanese company PENTAX and rebrand them as made by some putatively German firm Schneider-Kreuznach that I've never heard of? I can understand taking a cheap product and trying to brand it as made by a respected company. I can't understand going the other way.

Will
01-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
many thanks to you all for your helpfull comments.

Dave
01-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can anybody explain this to me? Why in heaven's name would you take lenses by the famous and noble Japanese company PENTAX and rebrand them as made by some putatively German firm Schneider-Kreuznach that I've never heard of? I can understand taking a cheap product and trying to brand it as made by a respected company. I can't understand going the other way.

Will
Schneider-Kreuznach is equivalent of "Carl Zeiss" being written on Sony lenses. They design them, but they do not make them. It's sort of Samsung's "prestige" brand, which is a must, since they have no relevant history in photography, and not much experience with high-quality optics.
In this case, it seems Samsung has stuck with that particular branding (probably also because of their desire to differentiate their products from the Pentax line), although to me SMC Pentax sounds a bit more prestigious.

Schneider-Kreuznach are famous for manufacturing extremely expensive lenses for medium and large format cameras (view cameras).

Wikipedia on S-K:

They are best known as manufacturers of high-quality large format lenses for view cameras, enlarger lenses, and high quality photographic loupes. They also make a limited amount of small- and medium-format lenses, and have, at various times, manufactured eyeglasses and camera rangefinders, and are currently an OEM lens maker for Kodak and Samsung digital cameras. They also supplied the lenses for the classic Kodak Retina and Kodak Retinette camera series in the 50s and 60s.
01-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
raz

Will
Schneider is not so unkown...don't know about their glass quality, but they have a history longer than pentax.

later edit: ftpaddict replied faster
01-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Schneider is not so unkown...don't know about their glass quality, but they have a history longer than pentax.

Since they make lenses for view cameras, they are extremely expensive, with performance to match. Their lenses offer no compromise. Top optical and build quality, with a price to match.
01-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an older Samsung 35mm point and shoot with a Schneider 38-145 Varioplan Macro zoom lens and it is a really good lens. The quality of the pictures was noticable right off even to my kids who were in their early teens at the time and it was the camera of choice for school trips and such. Schneider lenses are a quality product.
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #14

Follow up question about lens mount, will older Pentax lenses work the same on a Samsung?? ie old M's to KA, etc??

thanks.
06-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taskinillusion Quote
Follow up question about lens mount, will older Pentax lenses work the same on a Samsung?? ie old M's to KA, etc??

thanks.
Any lenses that work on the Pentax will work on the Samsung.