Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ist vs K-x?

So, I have the opportunity to buy a Pentax ist for $200 with the 18-55 kit lens. I know it's an older camera, but how well does it compare to my K-x in ISO performance, menu interface, and autofocus? Basically, my girlfriend is tired of point and shoot cameras that always blur. I'm not terribly sure she'll want to carry around a big SLR though, so I don't want to drop $600 on a Kr or anything. I'm hoping once she uses an SLR for a while, she won't want to go back to a P&S and will get the shutter bug

Wondering if this camera is a good deal for that, or if I should just bite the bullet and get something else.

Charles.

07-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The *ist DS is a nice camera, but the K-x is much better in every way. (I've had an *ist DS, and a K100D, and currently have two K-x bodies.) High ISO performance on the K-x is in particular, MUCH better. plus the K-x is twice the resolution. Autofocus on the K-x is faster, too.

Personally, I'd wait for a deal on a used K-x.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$200 is waaaaay too much.

You can get a refurb K2000 w/kit lens and warranty for $300: Newegg.com - Refurbished: PENTAX K2000 Black 10.2 MP 2.7" 230K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens

Last edited by luftfluss; 07-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.
07-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, good to know. Thanks. Hrm... I may just upgrade to a Kr (or K30) and give her my Kx.... I'm supremely happy with my Kx, but the star tracker that just came out.... oh how I wish that worked with the Kx.... it's the SOLE reason I'm considering an upgrade...

Charles

07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
$200 is waaaaay too much.
I dunno as it's "waaaaaaaay" too much. When you consider the body usually goes for $125 to $150 & the lens is worth $30 here on the forum (plus shipping) it might be a bit on the high side for an online deal, but about normal for a local sale.

I'd still rather wait for a K-x over a K-m (or K2000) since the K-x has a little more resolution, and reportedly a better JPEG engine and better AF.
07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
$200 is waaaaay to much.
IMO, $200 isn't unreasonable for a clean, low-time DS for the experienced user that values the specific strengths of that early body -- including TTL flash and small size.

But the new user might be more comfortable with a K100DS than an *istDS-- larger LCD screen, SR, dust removal, faster read/write time and a more readable and familiar menu set up. I still have the DS and I've owned three K100 bodies -- all four have been trouble-free.
07-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DS & K2000 are the same size, and of course the K2000 has all of the additional features you guys have mentioned. It's simply that right now the DS is extremely niche if it's not at a bargain-basement price. If it were a local sale I would try to get the price down by showing the seller the Newegg ad I linked.

I've had the K100D, K2000 and currently the K-x; I've enjoyed them all.

If I were in ChopperCharles's shoes (are we the same size? Mine's 11 1/2) I wouldn't get a K-r unless a new one was $500 or less.
07-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I still have the DS and I've owned three K100 bodies -- all four have been trouble-free.
Yeah, honestly I don't think you can go really wrong with any Pentax body. I've gotten killer photos with the *ist DS & K100D that wouldn't have really been better if I'd shot them with the K-x. The main difference for me, is that I can get good natural light shots in lower light with lower noise than I could with the other two. And being able to crop tighter with the 6 extra MP is a good thing, too. Otherwise, it's all good.

07-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Hrm... I may just upgrade to a Kr (or K30) and give her my Kx.
K-r is not that much of an upgrade over the K-x. If it were me I would consider the K-30.
07-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Moo

Is it a DS? OP never mentioned DS, just "ist".
07-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think the issue is less about sensors ext, where it is true the K-x is higher resolution (but 50% not double since MP is the square of resolution) and probably less noise.

Here are the trades, and first of all we need to know what *ist you are talking about, there is then*istD, DS, DS2 DL and I think the could even be a DL2 Someone who is more familiar with the low end models can advise.

The original *istS uses CF cards not SD. But you can get a CF to SD convert and use only SD if you wish

The main benefits of the *istD and some later options like the DS is the penta prisim finder which is better, as well as , on the *istD TTL flash , HSS capable using the built in flash ass the master.

Cons are, small viewing screen, slow processing, and some limits in high ISO but good to 800 at any rate.

The *istD is great for legacy lenses. If younare heading that direction it is a good body to pick up, if not, don't waste your time on one
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the K30 is brand new and really expensive... I can get a Kr with a 18-55 for $599, and then drop another $200 on the O-GPS and still come in under the K30 price. Is the pentaprism really worth the extra $300?

Charles.
07-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Is the pentaprism really worth the extra $300?
For what it's worth, I had the *ist DS & now have the K-x, and I still use old manual focus lenses (including a 500mm f8) on the K-x with no problems. The *ist DS viewfinder image was a little larger, but not enough to be a big deal, IMO. A split focusing screen also helps a whole lot in focusing the legacy lenses. You can get a good generic one for $20 on eBay.
07-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
Is it a DS? OP never mentioned DS, just "ist"
I was wondering where the DS came from in this thread. I thought I had missed something
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The original *istS uses CF cards not SD.
The DL uses SD cards, but also has a mirror instead of the Pentaprism. KEH has two DL's listed 189.00 (E+) and 199.00(LN). So 200.00 doesn't seem so far fetched even for a D or DS
07-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a split focusing screen in my Kx, I still can't manual focus worth a damn. My Dakota with the large pentaprism and split focusing screen I have no problems focusing, but the Kx I just can't manage to focus with any sort of accuracy. That's the whole reason I have not yet purchased a Rokinon 85mm f1.4... I want the lens, but without autofocus it's useless to me. Also... it's kind of pricey for a manual focus lens. But I could overlook that, if manual focusing was actually possible.

Charles.