Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New K20D Intervalometer for HDR images !!

Hi all

Has anybody noticed the programmable Intervalometer feature on the new K20D, which should potentially prove invaluable for shooting HDR images ?

Best regards
Richard

01-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Could be interesting for multiple exposure shots as well.
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #3

and stop motion, and time lapse...
01-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

Has anybody noticed the programmable Intervalometer feature on the new K20D, which should potentially prove invaluable for shooting HDR images ?

Best regards
Richard
The intervalometer was one of the items on my wish list... And they built it.

I had bought the pricey TS110 cable release for my MZ-S and to get the intervalometer function on the K10D I had ended up modifying it by cutting the cable and making an adaptor to be able to use the TS110 with the K10D.

Regards
Patrick

01-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
and stop motion, and time lapse...
not so sure about time lapse. Says somewhere its limited to 99 frames... thats like 4 sec a 25fps in the final video. Look here if you not sure what I mean:

railroad movie
01-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

something on my wish list since the ds

something I see getting used pretty regularly
01-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pgenovese Quote
The intervalometer was one of the items on my wish list... And they built it.

I had bought the pricey TS110 cable release for my MZ-S and to get the intervalometer function on the K10D I had ended up modifying it by cutting the cable and making an adaptor to be able to use the TS110 with the K10D.

Regards
Patrick
One of the great things I had heard [read] about the TS110 cable method is the ability to set-up trap focus on a point in space, set the shutter release, leave home, go to work, whatever, and have the shot (multi-shots?) taken when something like a humming bird flies into the focus zone.

High hopes for me that this Intervalometer will enable that capability like the cable.

01-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Why would it be good for HDR? Wouldn’t you use bracketing for that?
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I was thinking the same thing.. Unless the OP intended to let the sun set or soemthing and wanted a few shots at different times? Automatically?
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

Best regards
Richard
Generally a very fine feature. Don't need to get up in the night, just set the timer
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Gimbal

Re your question:
QuoteQuote:
As I understand matters, the intervalometer facility on the K20D would enable you to automate the entire HDR shutter procedure. You could simply adjust the bracketing to your desired exposure value, then set the intervalometer to shoot the required number of photographs one immediately after the other in quick succession. Currently, on the K10D you have to manually trigger the shutter for each individual exposure, for example 1,2,3,4,5. A rapid-fire automated process would probably negate any tiny movements that are typically captured in the subject matter, such as a gentle breeze blowing leaves when shooting nature photography etc ! Hope this explains everything ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-03-2008 at 11:44 AM.
01-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

With the K10 do you press the shutter button 5 times for 5 brackets, or just once and hold for 5 clicks.
01-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

edit: I see Arpe beat me to it... but here's what I was writing while he completed his post.

Actually, doesn't the K10D work great already for HDR with a manual shutter press (or remote)? On the K10D, can't you:
a) activate continuous shutter in the config,
b) select between bracketing of 3 or 5 shots and the EV gap from 0.3EV to 2EV for each shot
c) configure the order of the bracket shots which makes sense to you
d) then activate bracketing by pressing the button on the left under the top dial while turning the front right wheel, and rear right wheel to select bracket EV width
e) Take the shot by pressing and holding the shutter or remote until the 3 or 5 shots are made. Taking a total of 1 or 1.66 seconds respectively.

?? isn't that already 'great' and the preferred way to shoot HDR? ...with the shots as quickly together as possible. I'm not asking with sarcasm. I really don't know much about it not having ventured to doing it, so am really asking. Having read about this feature of the K20D I'm having trouble understanding how/why that's better then what we already have (for HDR; I understand the usefulness for unattended/timed shots)

The difference I see with the K10D now, you have to hold the shutter 1 sec or 1.66sec for 3 or 5 shots respceitvely, instead of one press for the K20D, for possibly many more the 5 shots... but with the 2 second minimum delay between shots using this Intervalometer.
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
?? isn't that already 'great' and the preferred way to shoot HDR? ...with the shots as quickly together as possible. I'm not asking with sarcasm. I really don't know much about it not having ventured to doing it, so am really asking. Having read about this feature of the K20D I'm having trouble understanding how/why that's better then what we already have (for HDR; I understand the usefulness for unattended/timed shots)
Indeed, I just hope that they addressed the need to provide fixed aperture bracketing without having to resort to Av mode and exposure lock as it's a real pain having to reset the exposure continuously when shooting HDR panoramas.
01-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

As I recall it it’s only a matter of press and hold until the required number of photos are taken. So it’s pretty easy as it is.