Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #1

shooting in black&white

On the K110D is there a way to change the camera to black and white before you take the picture so that it's being taken in black in white? I've searched and searched but have only found a way to change it after.
Thanks,
Amanda

01-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

no, there is no way to do an instant b/w

but why would you want that anyway...
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh. I don't usually want to, I just had an assignment for photography class at school where we had to shoot black and white. That's all, thanks
01-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The advantage of converting to B&W "after the fact" is that you can choose your effects. Say, if you wanted to replicate the effect of shooting with a red filter on B&W film to increase the contrast of the blue sky (darkens it a lot). Or maybe the effect you wanted was like a yellow filter (doesn't darken the sky as much). Most post-processing apps allow this kind of flexibility, as does the in-camera B&W conversions.

01-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
Oh. I don't usually want to, I just had an assignment for photography class at school where we had to shoot black and white. That's all, thanks
black and white FILM?

otherwise i think you will find shooting in color RAW much more beneficial for B/W conversions using something like Lightroom or CS3 than leaving that task up to a crappy processor inside the camera
01-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are two other recent threads on this exact topic. Take a quick look or search.