Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As to what else is missing on the K20D:
- a QC or hardware fix for the tilted viewfinder issue...one of the previews I read said the K20D sample they tested still had this issue
I think that was the only other thing besides the VPN issue that caused a lot of complaints.

FWIW, I'm happy w/ the K20D's high-ISO features and am planning to upgrade as soon as it comes within a $500 upgrade w/ my selling the K10D :-)
I do wish they improved the predictive AF tracking, but that can wait until the K30D...

02-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
- They’ve actually also improved the speed. The new files are mentioned to be up to 40 % bigger, but the K20 can still manage 3 FPS

- I remember reading somewhere that they’ve also worked on avoiding patterned noise problems. Can’t really find the link or the explanation right now.

- From the latest samples, they might have changed the AWB. But I hope not, I think it is so easy to simply use a preset and switch to tungsten when indoors.

- They’ve made the RAW button able to switch from JPEG only, to RAW only. Again a thing that people asked for.

- They’ve improved Noise performance 1-2 stops, possibly leading in cropped format

- Increased anti-dust system

- Focus trap is now a feature, and the AF system has been tweaked and with more battery juice, sounds to also have taken a notch up

- Expanded Dynamic Range function is something that I could also see myself using

- AF adjustment regarding lenses, was also sought after by users.

- The 20 fps, I could use as a video option, for analysing sport performances and saving sequences. And unlike from video, I could actually get some high quality still pictures. This would be a big help for me, no need to borrow video cams for this type of work any more. Any serious sport coach could use it; (I'm a student at Human Physiology / Excercise Physiology). Else for doing a composition where little crop would be needed, one could take images not that far in quality from the 4 MP of the Nikon D2Hs that people were still buying in 2006, and Pro's are still using. If the 1.6 MP of the K20 would also have a noise advantage, this could be good as well; though no official mentioning of this so far.

- The programmable interval shooting, is something that I could really use as well. On the K10, people bought some of the external gear that could be had with the MZ-S, in order to take full benefit of the possibilities. Now we have it in the K20

That the screen size is bigger than the K10, is okay by me. But 2.7 sounds fine, when deep into an area on location, I many times turn it off, to save power. I make the final calls on the computer screen, and just zoom in on the LCD to test sharpness.

Regarding Extended Shake reduction, I was already happy with the K10, but wouldn’t say no to more

The screen has a 160 viewing angle, and its ‘LCD Color Tuning’ can be varied through 49 steps; and in review mode, a histogram is provided for each colour channel. This all sounds fine, but it will be for more advanced users than me. (But I do consider it more important than merely having a 3 size screen)

IMO, the K20 is a very worthy follower to the well praised K10. One day I plan to buy a top level K5 though

Last edited by Jonson PL; 02-12-2008 at 02:57 AM.