Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #1

How to Fix Yellowish Pics

Shot some gymnastics pics this weekend (no flash) for the first time. While the pics came out good, they are yellowish-brownish. What do I need to do to correctly modify the color in a photo manipulation program to compensate? Thanks.

01-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you shot in RAW, adjust the white balance in your RAW converter. If you shot jpegs you can either add a colored layer (probably some shade of blue) or use the Photo filter in PS CS to change it.

Really need to know what you shot & what you use to process pics to be more precise.
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Shot w/ k100d in JPG. Using Paint Shop Pro, but have never manipulated color after the fact to correct for imperfect shooting conditions.
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

look for a tab/option that would adjust the "white balance" of a picture, i am unfamiliar with paint shop pro... so i couldnt tell you

01-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Bimjo has probably got it right with a blue filter - try an 80%.
Post a shot and give us an idea what you're talking about - doesn't have to be a good shot.
01-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you have PSP X2 I have found the simplest way is to select Adjust --> Color balance, and use the dropper to select what you want as white or black with the eye dropper.

You can then adjust color temperature and color shift witht he sliders to get the look you want.

I am sure there is a similar function in all photo editors, I just don;t know what the function is called or how to direct you to it in the menuy structure.

note it does not matter whether the image is JPEG or RAW, it works on both,
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

note it does not matter whether the image is JPEG or RAW, it works on both,
just works a hell of a lot better on RAW
01-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
just works a hell of a lot better on RAW
I understand that it works better in Raw due to the difference between 8 bit and 12 bit color among other things, but the fact that an image was done in JPEG does not exclude the ability to fix WB problems.

I mentiond that point because many people have the impression that you can ONLY do manipulations in RAW. This is simply not true. you can do better manipulations in raw because you are working with the origonal dataset. that it all

01-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you have PSP X2 I have found the simplest way is to select Adjust --> Color balance, and use the dropper to select what you want as white or black with the eye dropper.

You can then adjust color temperature and color shift witht he sliders to get the look you want.
Just tried this with PSP X and it worked well on a jpeg. However, the color balance needed is under the Adjust drop down menu as noted by Lowell and is way different than the Color Balance adjustment layer option available in the Layers/New Adjustment Layer menu. The Adjust/Color Balance method is much easier to use.

Thanks for sharing Lowell, I learned a new trick today.

Tim
01-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reoterq Quote
Shot some gymnastics pics this weekend (no flash) for the first time. While the pics came out good, they are yellowish-brownish. What do I need to do to correctly modify the color in a photo manipulation program to compensate? Thanks.
I have the same kind of problem - this is a well known weak spot of the Pentax K100D (K10D?) - the AWB (Auto White Balance) does not work that well under artifical lighting - resulting in yellow casts.

Most photo editor programs probably have an auto-fix - auto-level or auto-color balance - just try that and see if they work - that might be a quick fix - but you may find as I did that this may not be good enough.

So any photos that still don't look right - Undo the auto-fix -
then look for color-balance -
and to compensate for yellow/orange cast of artifical lighting
- is normally to bias more toward Blue or Teal (the color between Blue and Cyan)
which are the opposites to yellow and Orange
(in PhotoShop Elements 2 - Enhance-->Adjust Color-->Color Variations...
PaintShop Pro 5 - Colors-->Adjust-->Red/Green/Blue -
in my PSE2 and PaintShop Pro 5 there are only Red Green and Blue adjustments -
so it's balancing between blue and green).

You eyes are by far the best instruments to judge the balance -
since it is only you that can be ultimately satisfied.

If you do find you are adjusting by the same color(s) and amount(s) on multiple pictures
(probably unlikely - but you never know)
- note the color(s) and amount(s) and then you can batch process all your shots.

Good luck.

Here's an example -

Pentax K100D -
Original No Adjustments ....................................................... Brightness/Contrast (+Sharpen) Only

Auto Levels ......................................................................... Final (Color Balanced)

I did the Brightness/Contrast adjustment first just so I could see the photo properly
(the original as normal with the K100D is underexposed/darker than desired)
there is considerable yellow/orange cast -
both due to the White Balance of the K100D
and further compounded by actual yellow stage lights.

There wasn't much difference when I did an Auto-Level adjustment because the editor (PhotoImpact 8) found the white areas and they didn't need much adjustment.

So I had to do my own color balancing - this was mainly adding blue and then some teal
(in PhotoShop Elements 2 or PaintShop Pro 5 this would have been about 2:1 of blue and green)
some may consider there's too much blue in the final balance - but I like it -
so basically I am using myself as the final judge....
as you should with your own photos.

Hope that helps

Last edited by UnknownVT; 01-25-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typos, and adding sequence for PaintShop Pro 5
01-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
OK, I found what I need to adjust a JPG in PSP (V.6), but you have me wondering about raw. I have only had the camera for a month and haven't shot in raw. How is it more adjustable and what other benefits do you get out of it?
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
Great job with the tutorial Unknown. How do you post pics? Do you have to have them located online, or can you upload?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nevermind - I see that they are at Photobucket
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reoterq Quote
OK, I found what I need to adjust a JPG in PSP (V.6), but you have me wondering about raw. I have only had the camera for a month and haven't shot in raw. How is it more adjustable and what other benefits do you get out of it?
It is not that RAW is more adjustable, just that it is sometimes easier to start from the raw data under unusual lighting situations than to correct the JPEG conversion, since 1) you are already dealing with something that has been adjusted, and 2) you are dealing with 12 bit color not 8 bit color, and in the conversion data is lost.

Do you have a K10D? if so, and you take JPEGS there is a really neat WB adjustment. take a photo, then before anything else, hit the Fn button and select WB using the 4 way controller. as you adjust the WB settings, you see your image change to the settings before your eyes. therefore it is easy to get desirteable JPEGs right out of the camera with very little need for further adjustment
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A RAW file contains all the color information and is a lossless format. You can open it in a RAW converter or any photo software that will work on RAW files, adjust what you need to adjust, and save as a JPG. So if you blow out a scene, you oftentimes can recover some detail with the RAW file. Your PSP version 6 will not open a RAW file, I'm pretty sure. I think you have to have version 10 or better. You can use the Pentax photolab software that came with the camera, though.
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
Lemme guess . . . not a feature on k100.