Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100d first impression

Hi,
Happy New Year to all. My New Year's resoultion is to buy my first DSLR. My first DSLR will be the K100d.
For months now I wavered back and forth over a Superzoom or DSLR. I even went so far as to consider the Nikon D40, before I came to my senses. Today I was able to get my hands on a K100d, it was impressive. The feel in my hand was excellent, the viewfinder was very good, shutter was sliky smooth, focus was dead on. The sales clerk said the K100d was a better camera then the Nikon D40.
That basically the Nikon D40 was nothing more then a ps with interchangeable lens, that cost more then the camera itself.
I will be hanging around asking questions etc, looking at your fine picture taking. Its great there are forums such this that helps one make the leap and learn too.
Happy New Year
Greatgreyowl/Brad

12-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #2

I'm not sure I'd say that the D40 is nothing more than a p&s with an expensive lens. When you compare the specs to the D50 (the model it replaces), there are a number of places where the D40 is a step up. My concerns with the D40 are that it is extremely limited in lens compatibility for now (the antithesis of the K100D) and the lack of in-body stabilization (if you are buying an inexpensive entry level DSLR, the Nikkor 18-200 IS lens is not going to be happening). My brother loves his D50, so I'm sure the D40 is also good, but the feature list on the D40 just pales in comparison to the K100D.

I also opted for the K100D, and I have no regrets. It is probably even more camera than I have the ability to use for the foreseeable future. It's a great pick over even a high end p&s, and I look forward to taking this thing on vacation.
12-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

no camera with decent range of manual adjustments can really be refered to as a point and shoot..

your sales clerk was talking rubbish..

trog
12-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Technosavant Quote
I'm not sure I'd say that the D40 is nothing more than a p&s with an expensive lens. When you compare the specs to the D50 (the model it replaces), there are a number of places where the D40 is a step up. My concerns with the D40 are that it is extremely limited in lens compatibility for now (the antithesis of the K100D) and the lack of in-body stabilization (if you are buying an inexpensive entry level DSLR, the Nikkor 18-200 IS lens is not going to be happening). My brother loves his D50, so I'm sure the D40 is also good, but the feature list on the D40 just pales in comparison to the K100D.

I also opted for the K100D, and I have no regrets. It is probably even more camera than I have the ability to use for the foreseeable future. It's a great pick over even a high end p&s, and I look forward to taking this thing on vacation.
Agree with Trog, hardly a P&S. I would think that if you do not want to play around and just take photos then the D40 is probably better, if you want to experiment and get more from your photography then the K100D is probably better.

12-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, yeah...

Clearly then, you are not in the same league as the Great, All Powerfull, All Seeing: DP-Phil; and I quote "The Nikon D40 is an all new affordable, compact, point-and-shoot digital SLR from Nikon".

So don't be too hard on that there salesman.
12-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I also have a K100D, and I think you'll really enjoy it. It can be as simple as a P&S, and also allow you the creativity of a DSLR. I'm learning new things every time I use it.
12-31-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"compact, point-and-shoot digital SLR from Nikon"

the definitions are changeing.. point and shoots.. mid range.. pro-sumers.. bridge cameras.. now we have a dslr camera being called a point and shoot..

its all becoming somewhat meaningless.. i used to know what "point and shoot" meant now its quite clear i dont..

trog
12-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #8

Nikon is too good of a company to put out rubbish, and I think you would love the D40. But the Pentax is just as good and the SR will get you shots that the other camera can't make.

12-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i think the pentax camera to compare with the d40 would be the k110.. its a bit of an unsung hero to me.. and however u look at it the best value dslr camera on the planet..

trog
01-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

^^ Agreed. K110D/K100D is great value without or with the SR. When compared to D40, for the money I believe it can't be beat. It's a P&S when you want it, and has manual controls when you want to fool around or learn. Picture quality is just as good as the Nikon too.