Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Camera accepted Temperatures

Hi forum.
I would like to know if I can take my Pentax camera to Austria this winter.
In the instructions Manual it says: "The temparature range for the camera use is 0C to 40C (32F to 104F)"
As I'm sure you know, in Austria temperatures can go as low as -30C.
I'm sure people there take photos () I just wanna check with you before I go.
Is there any precaution I should take?

Cheers

07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Some members of this forum told they left their Pentax DSLR in the car for 2 weeks at -30 deg.C, no damage found. But there is a difference between storage and using it.

One precaution is always to have at least one full spare battery set. Cameras may function at 0 deg.C, not all battery types will. Keep the spare set in a warm location of your cloths, and exchange them when needed.

After big changes of temperature, specially from cold to warm, the camera shouldn't be used for some (long) time because of condensing humidity inside, specially in the lenses. Also, if this process is not finished and you go out to extreme cold, this water could freeze.
WR cameras and lenses may or may not reduce these problems a bit.

LCD displays/screens don't function outside a specified temperature window. The lower temperature limit where the crystals won't turn/move any-more has been constantly improved, but I don't know the actual numbers for Pentax cameras.

Last edited by RKKS08; 07-15-2012 at 04:12 PM.
08-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Hey there, I have had my k-x out at about -20 C taking pictures at night and here are a few pointers that I have found helpful from other people.

1. keeping the batteries warm-the cold just zaps the life out of your batteries get some of the hand warmers and keep them with the batteries this helps keep them active longer.
2. when you are outside with the camera try not to breathe on the camera as it will quickly fog up your lens.
3. As mentioned change in temperature, when I am done taking pictures for the night, before I bring it into the warmth of my truck/house I put it in a ziploc bag with a couple of the silicone packs and put it in my camera bag and leave it closed until the next day to help take out any moisture.

Hope this helps
08-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

I've taken my Pentax KM snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains and haven't really had any problems. I always bring extra AA batteries but so far never needed them.

The only problem I had, was after taking some shots on a top of the mountain (around 8,000ft) , I'm not sure what the temp was but it was COLD! I quickly snapped some shots then got the hell out of there. I stopped midway down and tried to get some shots of the sunset. The shutter wasn't functioning normally. I would have to press the button about 3-4 times to take a picture. Started working normally again after about 10-20 minutes.

08-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had my K10D and K5 out in the cold for extended periods while skiing and winter hiking, shooting motorcycle ice racing, winter carnivals, ski and snowboard competition, etc with no ill effects. The biggest problem is condensation after going indoors. It will fog your lens. Keeping your camera in the bag when going indoors helps insulate it from the warm and usually very humid air. Some have had battery issues in cold weather but I've shot for several hours and hundreds of shots on one battery. Most of the time, the cold gets to me long before it affects the camera.
08-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll reinforce what has been said. I've used my K10 at -10F without issues. Reaclimating to indoor temperatures is the biggest concern. I can't report on the K-5 performance because this winter was too frakking warm....
08-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Like the others i've shot in some extremes (one night i spent a couple of hours in -25 plus heavy wind off the lake) i do nothing to keep the camera warm while shooting, i do keep a spare battery inside my coat in case the other dies (My LCD has shown obvious signs of suffering the cold while shooting in Live view using a tripod)
Before i get back in the car i put it in a ziplock with a couple of large silocon packs) and then put it in my camera bag. I let it come to room temp slowly overnight that way
08-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

I've shot a lot in Canada over the past 2 winters with my K-r. Honestly, I don't even bother with anything special other than not changing lenses often. I guess it also depends how long you plan on shooting outside though.

08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-5 and K-30 are tested to operate at -10C. Just as others have noted, Pentax recommends that you keep extra batteries in an inside pocket as low temperatures reduce battery life.

--DragonLord
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The K-5 and K-30 are tested to operate at -10C.
--DragonLord
the issue below -10c appears to be with the LCD in my experience, shutter works fine as did the other functions (lcd refresh slows down badly though)