Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A few more manual Lens samples...

Actually the various samples where taken with 2 different manual lenses and the kit lens

Kit lens

50mm 1.4 A

28mm 2.8 Albinar

I've posted some more samples here near bottom of page...I am very excited working with manual lenses now

K10D and manual focus lens - FM Forums

Thanks for peaking at them

12-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Lisa. Are these images taken in Brooklyn park? I had been to Brooklyn museum before and remembered the parks I visited. Your shots reminded my time working there.

Your ice hokey shots are crisp and sharp, telling plenty of stories. Always a fan of sports photography here.

I would give M lenses a go soon...

Btw I think SR function is amazing on k10d. I had it on all the time and I felt the superb function of SR because I knew certain shutter speed should never produce a sharp image in my book

Cheers
12-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the images are too small to tell much but the kit lens comes out rather well.. till i looked twice i assumed the first image was a prime..

allowing for the dull conditions all the images look okay but its impossible to pixel peep at that size..

trog
12-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you think of this lens -- Vivitar 28mm 2.8 manual:

and cropped...

12-31-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lisa,
Should we call your term SS, "Sharp Shot" or "Superfuzzy Shot" or are they one in the same?
12-31-2006, 01:03 AM   #6

K10D and Manual focus.

I have tried my Tokina 100/300 zoom with still and bird flight shots.
Although some of the flight shots were OK it was the still shots which were more consistant.
Flight shots with my Sigma 400 PKAF gave better results probably because of the predictive autofocus.
Here's a couple of shots of roses with the K10D and Tokina 100/300 manual zoom.
Attached Images

12-31-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

These floral shots are in deed beautiful. Nice natural smooth pink.

12-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Lisa.
Nice shots. I personally don't find them too small. I really liked the kit lens shot and the one with the A 50mm 1.4. As a fellow New Yorker, where abouts in Brooklyn were these taken?

NaCl(always on the lookout for new places to go shooting)H2O
12-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah..where in Brooklyn is that...I thought u were from Pittsburgh...LoL

not a bad contigent of NYkers here
12-31-2006, 08:55 AM   #10

Lisa, from the photo the 28mm lens looks fine, but how are the other shots?

The results from my cheap Vivitar 28mm were just OK. My other lens is a Pentax 50mm f/1.14 FA and see the difference in sharpness. It was fun to mount a $20 lens manual lens and get some pictures.

With the 28mm most of the shots have a focus distance of infinity, and I find that setting the f stop on the ring to f8 or whatever and the pressing the AE-Button is not a problem!
12-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"My other lens is a Pentax 50mm f/1.14 FA and see the difference in sharpness"

i bet my old pentax 50mm 1.7 manual prime which cost me £15 of ebay is as sharp as your f/1.14 FA ..

most of the older short-ish focal length primes seem quite good.. sigma.. vivitar.. petri.. kiron.. the name doesn't seem to matter that much..

i dont find the longer range primes to be very good thow.. having played with about twenty or so ebay specials over the past couple of months i have a rough idea of whats what..

some of them are beautifull pieces of engineering nice to feel and hold but none of the longer ones i have tried have the sharpness i expect from a prime lens.. in other words fun to collect and play with but not much use in the real world..

trog
12-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
There are more shots from the 3 lens posted at the link I pasted under the pics...i was just too lazy to repost them here

None of these shots were actually taken in Brooklyn....they were taken in NJ right near the GW Bridge at a remote coastline recreational park.

In all honesty, I find the 28mm 2.8 Albinar lens to be my worst performing lens...colors a bit dull and the images never really come out very contrasty...more muddy. Of course, I am exaggerating to describe its weaknesses. But it is noticeable.

My best lens seems to be the Pentax A 50mm 1.4 and 1.7 manual lenses. They seem to really capture sharp images and apply crisp contrast to subjects in focus....also the edges of the image seem to maintain more detail with little noticeable fall off.

The Kit Lens can be versatile for its flexible zoom range and handles color well, but it's ability to provide good contrasty detail is its biggest challenge.....At f8 it starts to improve but it really isn't a star performer by any means. Take some images at some bushes, branches and any other foliage nestled with closey contrasty earthy tones and you'll see how muddy things can get.

What I am very happy with is the K10D's ability to really contain high amounts of workable detail in both the highlights and shadows of the RAW images when working with ACR in Photoshop CS2. I really have a several stop range in either direction to play with when working with an image. And the Beta of CS3 allows several more RAW tweaking sliders in it's ACR plugin which are useful.
12-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #13

Lisa, a few years ago I saw a huge whitetail buck in the Palisades Interstate Park. Amazing since it just below the GW Bridge!

Good comparison of kit / 50mm manual primes / Cosina 28mm lenses.

The vivitar 28mm is identical to the ebay photo of the Cosina (on ebay search for "Cosina f. Pentax PK 2,8/28mm"). The colors on the Vivitar are a bit bland, and the focus soft. I won't be using it anymore -- life is too short!

Trog, good luck finding a pentax 50mm 1.7 manual prime on e-bay for £15 after the recent run up in prices. Still a bargain at ~$100. Have you tried a Pentax 28mm f/2.8- m? Are there other manual 28mm that really stand out?

QuoteOriginally posted by Lisa_Bonami Quote
There are more shots from the 3 lens posted at the link I pasted under the pics...i was just too lazy to repost them here

None of these shots were actually taken in Brooklyn....they were taken in NJ right near the GW Bridge at a remote coastline recreational park.

In all honesty, I find the 28mm 2.8 Albinar lens to be my worst performing lens...colors a bit dull and the images never really come out very contrasty...more muddy. Of course, I am exaggerating to describe its weaknesses. But it is noticeable.

My best lens seems to be the Pentax A 50mm 1.4 and 1.7 manual lenses. They seem to really capture sharp images and apply crisp contrast to subjects in focus....also the edges of the image seem to maintain more detail with little noticeable fall off.

The Kit Lens can be versatile for its flexible zoom range and handles color well, but it's ability to provide good contrasty detail is its biggest challenge.....At f8 it starts to improve but it really isn't a star performer by any means. Take some images at some bushes, branches and any other foliage nestled with closey contrasty earthy tones and you'll see how muddy things can get.
12-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

yes my £15 50mm was a lucky one its not an A thow..

i have one old petri F2 28mm i gambled on.. £36 quid i think.. nice colours and would make a good landscape lens left on infinity..

having got the petri i havnt bothered with any other 28mm lenses my son has a nice none A manual sigma F2.8 thow.. he has tried several sigma and koberon 28s.. but not a pentax..

kiron lenses (old american pentax i think) always fetch good money.. too much for me mostly..

i would like either a vivitar or kiron 100mm 1:1 macro but again they fetch more than i am prepared to pay..

the weather is that crap (overcast and dull) in the UK at this time of year i havnt really been able to use anything much for real..

trog
02-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
Inactive Account

pentax 50mm f2 m series

my first shoot with a old pentax 50mm f2 ka series(manual focus)

Last edited by tipentax38; 02-12-2007 at 09:40 PM.