Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Best Cameras for Capturing Night Sky/Auroras

Currently, I'm shooting with a Pentax 645D and love it, but have found the CCD sensor lacking when it comes to long exposures and shooting the night sky (noisy and mandated dark frame for NR is a pain).

I'm thinking about getting another (and much less expensive DSLR for shooting some nighttime shots, mostly chasing the Aurora Borealis in Northern Minnesota, but maybe some star trails or shots of the milky way.

I've thought about getting a K5 with either the 12-24 f/4 or DA* 16-50 f/2.8. I think the f/2.8 would be a slightly better choice for the wider aperture in this case.

What other cameras out there are best for this sort of shooting?

I know Canon has a special 60D model just for night shooting, but I think I'd prefer to be able to use it for regular daylight shooting as well.

I'm thinking I'd like to keep the camera/lens combo under $2K USD, as it will just be a secondary camera to the 645D. I'd consider getting something used from KEH or on the forum as well to keep the budget.

Thanks for your input!

07-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got no experience in astro-photography but I just wanted to say that the K-5 got amazing dynamic range and you can use your 645D lenses on in with an adapter, a nice way to save some money.