Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Enelopps in KX

I have a KX, and 2 sets of eneloops. I feel like I'm changing my batts every few days almost. They don't seem to last as long as they used to. I tend to swap them out if for instance, I am about to go out with my camera, and see the battery indicator is orange.

I do remember having some issues with the battery indicator before that some firmware supposedly corrected. Maybe I need to upgrade firmware again, or perhaps eneloops are just not working as well anymore?

Then I started reading something about "memory effect" if I am not discharging th battery fully before charging? Does anyone know anything about this?

Any suggestions? I really need to do a count but keep forgetting to see exactly how many shots I am getting off the batteries before it goes orange. It just seems like so much less than before. Or maybe they are losing power just by simply sitting around inside the camera?

frustrating...

thanks!

07-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
They stay orange for a very long time. Mine last maybe 500 shots or so (2-3 excursions).
07-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,880
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
They stay orange for a very long time. Mine last maybe 500 shots or so (2-3 excursions).
Yup, this is what I've found, too, using Rayovac Hybrids.
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
They stay orange for a very long time. Mine last maybe 500 shots or so (2-3 excursions).
Jin, that is good to know, I get a little worried when I see orange I guess! I am going to try to remember to do a count. One for how long until it goes orange, and then how many I get after I see orange!

I just put in new batteries when I got home from work, so I will start my count from then.

07-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
The indicator on the K-x can be a bit pessimistic in my experience. Also, the charger that comes with the Eneloops is a dumb charger, if you want to refresh them then buying a smart charger that drains and recharges more efficiently can extend their life and add power to them for each charge.
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
I really wouldn't bother changing them until they are completely gone either.. mine's stayed orange for a long time, and also stayed red for a long time. I only change when I know I'll be going out multiple days.
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The indicator on the K-x can be a bit pessimistic in my experience. Also, the charger that comes with the Eneloops is a dumb charger, if you want to refresh them then buying a smart charger that drains and recharges more efficiently can extend their life and add power to them for each charge.

Thanks, will look into that. I know eneloops were the highest recommended when I first got this camera. Is this still the case? Do people use other rechargeables that they like better?
07-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
Thanks, will look into that. I know eneloops were the highest recommended when I first got this camera. Is this still the case? Do people use other rechargeables that they like better?
They still get the best ratings among the review sites. Some advocate other brands but my experience has been that the Eneloops are VERY reliable in what to expect from one battery to the next (which is more than I can say for many other brands).

07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,911
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I really wouldn't bother changing them until they are completely gone either.. mine's stayed orange for a long time, and also stayed red for a long time. I only change when I know I'll be going out multiple days.
I don't think we're supposed to drain them completely before recharging.. similar to a cellphone battery.. its best to have a little charge in them before recharging

QuoteOriginally posted by http://www.eneloop.info/home/faq.html:
Should I store my batteries charged or uncharged?
If stored with charge, it is possible that when you return to use the battery there may still be some charge left in the battery, therefore it will enable you to use it right then and there. Also, by keeping some charge in the battery, it will require you to "cycle" the battery fewer times until it reaches its peak charge. If you store them with no charge, you will have to "cycle" the battery multiple times until it reaches its peak charge.
07-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
I use exclusively eneloop and confirmed re-badged eneloop in my K-x
and I regularly get well over 1,000 shots per charge
(I do let my batteries go until camera shutdown)
my peak has been over 1,500 shots
- I am pretty miserly about conserving batteries,
so YMMV in total shot count.

However FWIW:

My experience with batteries in the K-x has shown:

full Green lasts for about 1/3 (33%) usage -
half Orange first shows when there is still about 2/3 (66%) capacity left -
empty Red shows when there is about 1/6 (16.7%) capacity left.

(I am on firmware version 1.01.00.07; and shot count of over 54,000 -
so that is from 46 changes of batteries)

Changing the batteries as soon as Orange shows -
means that one is only using about 1/3 the potential capacity -
put it another way -
there are about twice as many shots left in the batteries.
07-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I use exclusively eneloop and confirmed re-badged eneloop in my K-x
and I regularly get well over 1,000 shots per charge
(I do let my batteries go until camera shutdown)
my peak has been over 1,500 shots
- I am pretty miserly about conserving batteries,
so YMMV in total shot count.

However FWIW:

My experience with batteries in the K-x has shown:

full Green lasts for about 1/3 (33%) usage -
half Orange first shows when there is still about 2/3 (66%) capacity left -
empty Red shows when there is about 1/6 (16.7%) capacity left.

(I am on firmware version 1.01.00.07; and shot count of over 54,000 -
so that is from 46 changes of batteries)

Changing the batteries as soon as Orange shows -
means that one is only using about 1/3 the potential capacity -
put it another way -
there are about twice as many shots left in the batteries.
I think this by far is the most accurate rating for eneloops in the K-x. That is, depending on the outside temperature too.

Also, dropping the batteries reduces their lifespan. I think one of my sets have halved capacity already due to my clumsy fingers and they fall off more than 4 feet from the ground at times.
07-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Original Poster
Thanks all. Good things to keep in mind. I will remember I can keep the batteries in there longer now knowing that there is still quite a bit left in them even in the orange!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, dslr, eneloops, firmware, indicator, kx, orange, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top