Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

ANY software solution whatsoever for Pentax tethering for Mac?

I have been pulling my hair out trying to find an application that works with my k-x, or preferably my K20D for tethered shooting. I have Remote Assistant 3, which is supposed to be compatible with the K20D, but it is not detecting my camera, and upon research, I found that it doesn't work anymore in Mac OS X Lion. So I feel I'm almost out of options. As of right now, I feel my only options are:

A. Dual boot with windows/Install a Virtual Machine and run Windows to use Remote Assistant/PK_Tether
B. Dual boot with 10.6 Snow Leopard or earlier to run Remote Assistant Mac
C. Buy an Eye-fi card.
D. Cry.

Are these really all of my options? Because I would LOVE to be able to tether my camera without installing a second operating system...

07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did your mac come with lion, or did you "upgrade"? If it can run snow leopard, then I would reinstall that. IMHO it's much better than Lion which is a 'gumby' OS aimed at iPhone users. I'm dreading the day I have to get a new mac at work. Mac backward compatibility with hardware and software is horrendous these days, to the point where it's hard to know if they deliberately have a policy of planned obsolescence or whether they just don't test their system before foisting it on the unsuspecting public.
07-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't waste your time setting up a VM to run PK_Tether. It doesn't work.

You will have to set up Boot Camp to use PK _Tether on a Mac.

You forgot option E. Get a Canikon.
07-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

(C) Eye-fi card with various Mac apps like ShutterSnitch maybe.

People here have gotten it to work with K-x, IPad etc:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/192360-pentax-usage-eye-fi-cards.html

Or you could try compiling PKTiggercord from source, or running that on a Linux or Windows VM...
pkTriggerCord

07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
(C) Eye-fi card with various Mac apps like ShutterSnitch maybe.

People here have gotten it to work with K-x, IPad etc:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/192360-pentax-usage-eye-fi-cards.html

Or you could try compiling PKTiggercord from source, or running that on a Linux or Windows VM...
pkTriggerCord
OK I installed a Ubuntu 12.04 partition on my mac. I have a some command-line experience but I am honestly clueless on how I am supposed to install this application. I am not familiar with Linux.

I got a .rpm file from the pkTriggerCord website, but I'm guessing I can't run that in Ubuntu, so can I please get a step-by-step on how to get this to install and run on my newly installed OS?
07-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Install an RPM Package on Ubuntu Linux - How-To Geek
07-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I used this guide, in conjunction with this one:
How To Compile and Install from Source on Ubuntu - How-To Geek

And I successfully got PKTriggerCord to install and run. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to run the first few times. I restarted my VM, and ran it with "sudo pktriggercord" instead and it worked. I don't know if it was the restart, or superuser, but either way I am happy after all the hours fiddling with downloading/installing and fiddling with Ubuntu, I can now tether without installing Windows! Now to take that self-portrait I've been meaning to...

Last edited by brandonbpm; 07-17-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: success update
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VMWare Fusion+Win XP works fine w/PK_tether & K-7

I've had no problems getting PK_tether to work with my K-7 and a Windows XP VM under VMWare Fusion. In fact, using Fusion's Shared Folders feature, I'm able to snap a shot and have it appear in a folder available to my Mac.

This is a heckuva lot better than dual-boot, unless you want to live in Windows for your photo editing and such.

I'm running Snow Leopard and Fusion 3. Caveat: When you plug in the camera, ensure that you connect it to the VM in the dialog that pops up, not "To my Mac". (I'm not sure what you do if you've previously checked the "Don't ask again" box).
07-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
I've had no problems getting PK_tether to work with my K-7 and a Windows XP VM under VMWare Fusion. In fact, using Fusion's Shared Folders feature, I'm able to snap a shot and have it appear in a folder available to my Mac.

This is a heckuva lot better than dual-boot, unless you want to live in Windows for your photo editing and such.

I'm running Snow Leopard and Fusion 3. Caveat: When you plug in the camera, ensure that you connect it to the VM in the dialog that pops up, not "To my Mac". (I'm not sure what you do if you've previously checked the "Don't ask again" box).
Trying to take a picture with a K-x on Parallels Desktop induces a crash.

Trying to take a picture with the K-5 causes the camera to crash.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-17-2012 at 07:16 PM.