Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #16

Original Poster
Well,
After spending all day with the Camera using the GP2700 batteries (after I charged them),
Seems like the battery indicator goes full and half from time to time. I could take like more than 300 pictures till now (include using the flash)
It seems like the batteries will report depleted only if the camera will hold for a night or something like that.

01-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #17

Create own hybrid?.

Hi folks, this is my first post, I have been reading with great interest all the posts relating to battery problems with the K100D because I have the same situation.

I have a suggestion which I would like to throw open for criticism. While a regular rechargeable leaves the charger at something over 1.3 volts it very quickly stabilizes at 1.2 volts so 1.2*4 = 4.8 volts, and if the camera runs at all (mine won't) it will be dragging its ass.
I know that many people are nervous about using RCR-V3 because of potentially high voltage but how about creating our own hybrid.
If we were to use one RCR-V3 @ 3+ volts and two regular rechargeables @ 1.2 volts we could be sure of a starting minimum of 5.4 volts. This would leave a comfortable margin in case the lithium battery came out of the charger " high".

The camera is obviously reading the total voltage of these batteries in series with no regard to how the voltage is obtained.

Please give me your thoughts,

Thingy.
01-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #18

Original Poster
I have talked with the local distributer of Pentax.
He said that for his opinion there is a problem with the camera and I should bring it to the lab.
Menta.
01-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by menta Quote
Is there any way to discharge the batteries without any special device ?
The Sigma shooters say to just run your cameras slideshow

01-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by thingy Quote
If we were to use one RCR-V3 @ 3+ volts and two regular rechargeables @ 1.2 volts we could be sure of a starting minimum of 5.4 volts. This would leave a comfortable margin in case the lithium battery came out of the charger " high".
I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm pretty certain it's not as simple as that. As well as producing a voltage across the calls, each type has a characteristic internal resistance; and I would be very worried that having mixed cell types could lead to overloading at least some of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you found that some of the cells leaked when used as part of a mixed set.

And lithium cells may do far worse than leak!
01-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I had GP batteries from before I bought my K100D. They work fine on less demanding equipment but NOT on the K100D. Probably related to the its voltage-drain characteristics.

Eneloops and Uniross 2500mAh are great on the K100D, but they cost significantly more.
Eveready Enegizer 2500mAh are a compromise - I get about 200 shots per charge , but they cost less, and the nearby shop sells them.
01-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #22

I have been using RayOVac Hybrids, only 2100 maH, and have two sets. I don't get alot of shots,
maybe because it is winter. But I always have a back-up set ready to go. I knew before I bought
my K-100D Super that it was a battery eater, but I just love the camera.

01-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GFamily Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if you found that some of the cells leaked when used as part of a mixed set.
Even with NiMH cells, it's advised that they be kept in sets, i.e., even though I have eight identical cells, I've labeled them "Set 1" and "Set 2" and I don't intermix them.
01-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #24

Original Poster
I'm not talking about shots.
I just charge the batteries, put them in the camera that shows it's full and I can take a picture.
I put the camera on the shelf, and after about 1-2 days after 1-2 shots it says the batteries are depleted.
I tried this with 3 sets of Batteries. 1 set it brand new.

Menta.
01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by menta Quote
I'm not talking about shots.
I just charge the batteries, put them in the camera that shows it's full and I can take a picture.
I put the camera on the shelf, and after about 1-2 days after 1-2 shots it says the batteries are depleted.
I tried this with 3 sets of Batteries. 1 set it brand new.

Menta.
In that case you've probably got a problem with the camera.

You've got a few options.

Take batteries out when the camera's not in use.
Take the camera to a repair shop - you'll probably have to pay for the repair.
Contact Pentax directly and see what they can suggest.
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Toolman Quote
I have been using RayOVac Hybrids, only 2100 maH, and have two sets. I don't get alot of shots,
maybe because it is winter. But I always have a back-up set ready to go. I knew before I bought
my K-100D Super that it was a battery eater, but I just love the camera.
Hmm. I used these very same batteries today and shot over 600Pics. I was very impressed by them. The only downside I saw was that the camera was a little slower, but I was happy with the amount of pics. Filled up a 2 gig card with a fully charged set.
01-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got Sanyo Eneloops (8 for $15.97 USD) but I've not tried them yet. I also bought a 4-cell AA/AAA smart recharger (La Crosse BC-900 - $38.97 USD including a set of 4x2700Mah AA + 4x800mAH AAA) and I'm finding it really good for independently charging & monitoring the performance of the range of Ni-Mh batteries I've got.

However, in the same order I bought a Moby Power 2300 Li-ion charger + 1160mAH rechargeable Li-ion RCR-V3 battery pack (with battery) and a separate battery pack to make up the two packs required for a K100D Super. The cost in USD from Thomas Distributing was $24.97 for the charger + battery and the extra battery was $14.97.

Now I know that the Pentax manual advises you not to use rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Perhaps some of these are 3.6V and too high for reliable use in the camera. The type I bought are rated at 3V and actually measure 3.3V. My camera has no problems with them. By the way, rechargeable Li-ion RCR-V3 cells have a charge end that is separate from the use end. The charge end measures higher (3.8V-4.2V). When I measured the charge end after charging, I got quite a shock at the high voltage and thought these would fry the camera. Then I realised that these cells have two different ends in the double-cell pack and are keyed and the charge end is recessed so only the lower votage 3v-3.3V end powers the camera.

The problem with standard Ni-MH (as I said I haven't tried the Eneloops yet) is that they sag in voltage in use and, on my camera at least, within a 100 or so shots has the metering showing low. (I think there is some variability in the cut-off point in individual K100D-type cameras.) That's why I wanted to try Li-ion. There's hardly any sag in voltage over the battery's life. So far I've not been able to determine the staying power of the Li-ions, but it looks like it's very long.

By the way, I'm in Australia and both the La Crosse & the Moby Power chargers are 100-240V switching power supplies so for non-US buyers all you need is a plug adapter that Thomas sells for $2.97 USD.
01-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Right. So, I've been following this thread, and while I don't own a K100D, I just find it fascinating that (some) people are having to try different cells to get acceptable performance. I find this amusing (in my own way ) because of the hue and cry that went up when the K10D was announced with its proprietary lithium battery. "But I can get AA batteries anywhere," was the mantra (disregarding the fact that Pentax discourages the use of alkalines, as I recall).

I appears to me that perhaps the "advantages" of AA batteries are not so cut and dried, compared to a standardized battery around which the camera was designed (and which included a charger...something that AA rechargeable buffs somewhat discount, but it is an added purchase for some).

Anyway, just found this thread a bit ironic, that's all. And a bit surprised that no one else had mentioned this aspect. Ah, well. Carry on.
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Right. So, I've been following this thread, and while I don't own a K100D, I just find it fascinating that (some) people are having to try different cells to get acceptable performance. I find this amusing (in my own way ) because of the hue and cry that went up when the K10D was announced with its proprietary lithium battery. "But I can get AA batteries anywhere," was the mantra (disregarding the fact that Pentax discourages the use of alkalines, as I recall).

I appears to me that perhaps the "advantages" of AA batteries are not so cut and dried, compared to a standardized battery around which the camera was designed (and which included a charger...something that AA rechargeable buffs somewhat discount, but it is an added purchase for some).

Anyway, just found this thread a bit ironic, that's all. And a bit surprised that no one else had mentioned this aspect. Ah, well. Carry on.

Good points. Funny thing is that I have actually read here in this forum that if the K200D came with the K10D battery, that was reason enough not to buy it. I would much rather have the K10D battery. I have no clue how long they last because with my battery grip on my K10D I get way over 1000 photos. and simply out of habit I replace them with another set while they charge..
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #30

I started out using rechargable AA Energizer 2700Mah and found I was getting 450 photos, but the batteries drained real quick if not used. I then switched to CRV-3 batteries.
I have been getting around 1,000 shots mostly without flash On My K100D Super using CRV-3 batteries. I am now switching to low discharge AA batteries rated at 2100 Mah one set is Ansmann and the other Kodak. I found with my inexpensive charger the batteries did not get evenly charged. So I ordered a La Crosse BC-700 charger, which is the same as the BC-900 without the very high charge rates. I prefer the slower rate for longer life of batteries.