Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #91

Photos: Gallery
Eating my batteries!

This thread answers a lot of concerns I've had about the short life of my rechargables in the K100d Super. Using the same batteries in my Fuji S5600 there's no problems. I haven't kept count of how many shots but I know I can happily leave the same batteries in the Fuji for a few days of light use without much loss of charge. That's including use of the zoom for each shot and autofocus. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any ideas on why they drain so quick in the K100d and the Super version. Something's eating the power but what?

04-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by gowerray Quote
This thread answers a lot of concerns I've had about the short life of my rechargables in the K100d Super. Using the same batteries in my Fuji S5600 there's no problems. I haven't kept count of how many shots but I know I can happily leave the same batteries in the Fuji for a few days of light use without much loss of charge. That's including use of the zoom for each shot and autofocus. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any ideas on why they drain so quick in the K100d and the Super version. Something's eating the power but what?
I coulnd't have said it better. Same happen to me. One thing I know is Pentax can solve this with an upgrade of he firmware like others did too.Ofourse Pentax likes you to buy a K200D or K20D more

This problem is not from "yesterday"but does exist longer from before the K100D Check out here

I know people who have to same camera and have NO problems at all!

I myself tried to switch off the SR and the dust removal system, but it didn't work. I still have to try to switch of, even no preview the monitor

Last edited by demoleman; 04-22-2008 at 03:15 PM.
04-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #93
jdg
Forum Member

I have gotten around 200+ shots with the alkaline that originally came with my k100d super. but my old energizer 2000mah rechargeables only last 80 shots with mixed battery readings sometimes it says full then its says its depleted even when fully charged.
04-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the problem is not overall battery capacity, but rather how quickly the voltage falls. The K100D & Super appear to have a high low-voltage limit. That's why a Lithium Ion RCR-V3 1160 mAH or a Eneloop 2000 mAH NiMH can give more shots than a standard 2500mAH NiMH. That (a slower voltage sag rate) and a lower self-discharge rate mean that the first two types of batteries can offer more shots before the voltage drops below the camera's cut-off level. There's still plenty of energy in a "empty" standard NiMH - it's just that the camera won't accept the lower output voltage.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-23-2008 at 02:45 AM.
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Menta,
Someone may have already mention this, but I'll say it anyway. Try another brand of NIMH rechargables. All batteries are not created equal.

Dave
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #96

I'm sure you read a lot about Sanyo Eneloop, and I would say they are one of the best on my K100D. Sometimes can last me up to 500 shots. Used them for about a year now, and never worried about batteries.

On another note, its good to have a good charger, a model that can discharge and chage individual cell. It will make all your battery cycle better.

Mike
04-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #97

Gentlemen,

a solution is nice, which we already know. But the cause is important as the solution is. Somebody in the above mentioned 500 shots on the eneloops. That's rather low. I've read about 1000+ shots on Eneloops, and the still de batttery indictor displays FULL

More to read

As I said before. I have good experiences with "normal"NiMH's brand "Magic"

04-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I've tried 4 different brands of NiMH's and have gotten at least 600, usually 800+ photographs out of every charge.

I've had the present set in there for almost 3 weeks, shooting 2 events with them and they still register as full.
I've probably only taken about 600 photographs with it during that period though

I might have an unusual camera, however in my opinion I'm probably just using things like the screen, flash, and auto focus less.
04-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #99
jdg
Forum Member

I just got a set of eneloops for my k100d super i hope this performs well.
04-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #100
jdg
Forum Member

These eneloops are great i got 300+ shots and that is from its precharged state out of the packaging.
04-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Has anybody said anything about getting a GOOD battery charger?

Ray
04-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by jdg Quote
These eneloops are great i got 300+ shots and that is from its precharged state out of the packaging.
That's not much if you consider others take 1000+ shots on a charge, and even have capacity left over.

@Raybo

I have a techno-line BC700 charger which is the same as the La Crosse. I would call that a good charger. You're not gonnan charge with a bad chager and then complain, do you?
04-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Look at the bright side.
There is no other brand of dSLR which gives you any choice at all - Canon, Nikon, Oly, etc. all use proprietary batteries which you have to recharge off the mains.
I like to come back to this.For those brands are grips available, using AA cells.And in prosumer camera's many can handle AA cells.

QuoteQuote:

The batteries on my K100D when flat on me at 11 pm at a gathering one night.
I continued shooting a decent number of shots with Alkaline AAs I bought at a corner 24-hour convenience store.
That's unbeatable flexibility to me.
True. One of the reason I bought the K100D super.But if you limit the amount of brands of batteries you can use, then this flexibility isn't very flexible anymore.

I myself had never read about this low selfdischarge batteries, while Sanyo already had their eneloops on the market sinds 2005 Others since 2007 Does that ring a bell?

Now I have found some brands, like the "Magic" (chine-made) normal rechargeble batteries which probely gives me the amount of photo's as mentioned in the manual. But is this brand a lucky guess or what?
I also ordered battery boxes to keep the sets together as they camera out of the package so I won't mix up.
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #104
jdg
Forum Member

I got 510 shots on my first recharge.
05-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #105
Inactive Account

Howdy guys,

I'm bout to be a new pentax owner soon as I sell my vx 2100 video cam. Prlly get the 200d, I have noticed as others have said that its best to mark ur batts in pairs. If you mix them say one at 30% and one at 70% it can toast the one with more charge left in it. I hear the ones that charge the single cells does alot better. The duel cell chargers think that both batts are at 30%.