Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #1

Pentax K100D Batteries problem

Hi,
Just bought it in Bangkok 4 month ago.
I'm using it with 4 GP 2700 and 2000 rechargable batteires.
Seems like after several hours (even if its off) the batteries are dead.
The batteries are pretty new (at least the 2700).
Anyone knows about such problem ?

Thanks,
Menta.

01-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by menta Quote
Hi,
Just bought it in Bangkok 4 month ago.
I'm using it with 4 GP 2700 and 2000 rechargable batteires.
Seems like after several hours (even if its off) the batteries are dead.
The batteries are pretty new (at least the 2700).
Anyone knows about such problem ?

Thanks,
Menta.
If it flattens 2 sets of batteries even when it's off I think the problem is with the camera (but see my last 2 sentences).

However, I've been surprised how quickly it seems to run out a set of 2500mAh batteries, and noticed that a set of 7dayshop 2800 mAh cells seems to last 3 or 4 times as long. Unless your 2000 mAh cells are Eneloop or Hybrio cells I would expect them to be gasping after a handful of quick shots - but be aware that they will recuperate after a few minutes.
Skimp on reviewing shots on the LCD and they may last quite a bit longer.

Personally I'd give up on the 2000 mAh cells

Have you tested each of the 2700 batteries individually? There could be a problem with one of the batteries, and the other 3 would be OK but are losing out when trying to cope with a dying cell.
01-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Or a charger problem...
01-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You could:

a) use them on another AA-powered device and see how they fare
b) buy new ones that offer the same capacity
c) use one of the more expensive chargers that drain the battery and then recharge it slowly.

Pentax always recommends using batteries of equal capacities and age.

After all, they're just some batteries and not really THAT much of an investment.

01-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Go Sanyo Eneloops

GP Batteries are rubbish as they don't hold their charge well. My suggestion is to try Sanyo Eneloops. Usable straight out of the pack and the batteries retain their charge extremely well. Very well suited with the K100D and gives a very good number of shots per charge despite being 2000mAh. I use it and swear by it.
01-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
GP Batteries are rubbish as they don't hold their charge well. My suggestion is to try Sanyo Eneloops. Usable straight out of the pack and the batteries retain their charge extremely well. Very well suited with the K100D and gives a very good number of shots per charge despite being 2000mAh. I use it and swear by it.
A bit OT on this one, but I'm too curious to hold it in:

What is the difference between eneloops and regular Sanyo batteries? Other than the fact that you can buy them pre-charged?
01-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

What is the difference between eneloops and regular Sanyo batteries? Other than the fact that you can buy them pre-charged?
First off, if you have the Sanyo 2500mAh rechargeables, some batches were problematic. Fortunately for us in Singapore, we could exchange them for new ones.

The regular Sanyo rechargeables may hold a bigger capacity than the Eneloops but they drain/discharge no different than other rechargeables you can find. The Eneloops are built differently (design? material? check the Sanyo Energy website for precise details) where the emphasis is to be able to hold a charge longer.

Practically speaking I junked all my GP batteries in favour of the Eneloops. Even though the amperage is only at 2000mAh, the Eneloops are OK with flash units too. BTW you can use any existing Sanyo charger for the Eneloop.

01-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my K110D i can get roughly 400 shots out of fully charged Eneloops. I would buy a set of those and try them and see if they last longer for you. The Ray-O-Vac hybrids are in my K110D now < very similar to eneloops > they have been in the camera for about 2 months, and still show a full charge. I haven't used it much since I received my K10D, but when I do use it, it is working like a charm with the Ray-O-Vacs. Regular rechargeable batteries would have been dead as a doornail after sitting that long.
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Menta,
Eneloops.
.... and all your problems will go away.
It is highly likely that your existing problems are a dud or weak cell that will not take or hold a charge.

I made the switch to eneloops over 18 months ago and have no regrets. My wifes camera can often sit for weeks unused, but always fires up when asked, unlike when we used other rechargeables.
Cheers.
01-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
Well, I have 3 sets of batteries, 2000 , 2500 and 2700.,
The 2700 are brand new and I know GP bateries are pretty strong.
Will try the Eneloops

Menta.
01-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

The problem might not be in batteries but in charger. I have killed my batteries (2 sets) in 3 cycles with cheap charger so that was a good lesson for me. I bought a new "quick" [2700 sanyo it pumps in roughly 4,5 h] charger (it wasn't even pricey) with 4 separate charging channels and now I don't have any problems. Even cheap no name batteries are feeling comfortable with this charger and camera. So I would suggest to get a micro controller based battery charger with 4 separate channels.
BTW sanyo enloops are truly amazing.
01-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

I found a batterys site that explained the self-discharge of NiMh cells as being due to unwanted internal chemical reactions within the cells.

Eneloops (and the very similar Hybrios) are made with a different separator that significantly reduce the self-discharge rates (hence the long shelf life)

I believe they also reduce the voltage dip that you get after a short periods of relatively high discharge, so that annoying thing of the cells being OK if you give them a bit of recovery time, but if you have a busy 5 minutes of shooting they can give up the ghost.
01-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Yeah, no offence. It's BKK, and the battery's might just be knockoffs. There's more dodgy batteries there than you poke a stick at.
01-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #14

Original Poster
Is there any way to discharge the batteries without any special device ?
01-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
Forum Member

Yes there are, but it is not safe to do so. You can for example use a small 3V light bulb or something like that (a load that will provide slow discharge - use Ohms Law). Some cameras have an option of discharging (if i am not mistaken K100D does not have such option). Anyway - NiMH batteries do not "like" deep discharge (voltage shouldn't drop below ~0,85V) - and that is exactly what might happen if you do it on your own with light bulbs or what so ever. During discharging battery voltage must be monitored but simple light bulb can't do that.

And if you have a couple minutes you can read this small article. I know wiki is not the best source but I think this should do this time.