Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thinking of a GX20

Hi Folks
I have been looking at the GX 20 Steve's Digicams - Breaking News - Samsung 1/24/2008 Press Release
and I am seriously considering it over the K20D for the sole reason I like the way it looks...My concern was that the battery grip from the K10D would not fit, but looking at this pic, they do indeed have a battery grip for it. Is there reason why not to get the Samsung? Is it ''cooler'' to have the Pentax stamp in the front? Should I care?

01-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

bump.

good question.

i have no answer.
01-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
the jpeg processing is reported to be different than pentax too.
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
the jpeg processing is reported to be different than pentax too.
Really, How so? from everything that I have read, they are identical in every way.

01-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm probably going the GX-20 road also, like you. I'm not overly concerned about the logo in front of the camera. I just want good IQ at a more affordable price, which would favor the GX-20 compared to the K20D. Same or almost same IQ (they do use different JPEG algorithms, with the GX-10 showing better out-of-the-box JPEGs than the K10D) for $200 cheaper.

If you're overly concerned about the logo in front of your camera, then maybe that's some cause for concern, as is the different body styling which now would force you to buy the Samsung grip, which is harder to come by unless you're in Korea or Europe.

But people here treat the Samsung and Pentax the same way, so no one's gonna knock you for using one, which is good.
01-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, I did not even consider the price so that is a bonus. As for the name, I could care less...Now, I have been searching and reading and have not found a single difference other than looks. If there is a Jpeg difference, I would appreciate being pointed to it...I do know this was a difference with the GX10 and K10D but I do not believe this to be so of the new stuff.
01-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If it's like the GX10, you can only get grey market ones in the US. IIRC, the deal is Pentax sells the KxxD here but Samsung can sell their version outside the US...
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If it's like the GX10, you can only get grey market ones in the US. IIRC, the deal is Pentax sells the KxxD here but Samsung can sell their version outside the US...
Whoa, A monkey wrench..Come to think of it, I have never even seen a GX10 here..

01-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I am a Pentax Fanboy but I really like the sort of more modern look of the GX-20 (particulary the back of camera) and if it is readily available (and cheaper) here in Australia I will definitely be looking at the Samsung route.
Just wondering if supplied raw conversion software is the same Silkypix version as the Pentax and do Pentax firmware upgrades work on Samsung models.

I have also read (forget where) that Samsung do treat in camera jpegs differently to the Pentax model - it was an official announcement thing not just a rumour.

Just on the issue of the Samsung version not being available in the USA - I notice that the website at the end of the article is INTERNATIONAL CES 2007 - SAMSUNG perhaps this was only for PMA2008 or maybe they can sell cameras directly now.
01-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #10

one thing to consider, Samsung doesnt do as many version updates on its cameras like Pentax does. They also have a different customer support/warranty which some say isnt up to par with Pentax's. Something else to consider would also be its re-sale value even though I know some of you dont consider ever selling your cameras, those who do will get substantially less for their Samsungs than for their Pentax versions. But both cameras are the same so yeah.
01-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Have never seen the Samsung dslrs in person. They are sold in the US. They do not have to be gray market ( sure, some are gray also). Codiac2600 sells them at his store. They don't sell gray stuff. I talk to a Samsung dslr dist. all the time (they don't do gray either).
The menus are different on the Samsung as is the styling. Have heard the processing is different too, but don't know if its true or not. Probably only get 1 kind of raw instead of two. The Samsung grip is different ( k10D doesn't fit). The Samsung grips are hard to find in US.
If you like it buy it.
thanks
barondla
01-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #12
Forum Member

Wow, that is not true at all. You can buy a US retail GX10 here. You can even go to Circuit City or Sears if you don't trust the online retailers.
01-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not true. Aside from brick and mortar stores carrying legit for-US-market GX-10s, even the respected B&H online store carries the GX-10.

QuoteOriginally posted by Silus001 Quote
one thing to consider, Samsung doesnt do as many version updates on its cameras like Pentax does. They also have a different customer support/warranty which some say isnt up to par with Pentax's. Something else to consider would also be its re-sale value even though I know some of you dont consider ever selling your cameras, those who do will get substantially less for their Samsungs than for their Pentax versions. But both cameras are the same so yeah.
Well, camera bodies can't really be sold for much nowadays, with the faster release cycles of DSLRs. Probably only the highest-end models (Dx and 1D series) retain *some* of their original value.

I'm quite happy with the Samsung support I have gotten so far here, and I think in Europe, Samsung has a standard warranty longer than the usual 1 year.

The lagging firmware updates might be the sticking sore point for me, but certainly not the support.
01-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I suppose the Samsung/Pentax badging is like platform sharing on Cars, Think of it for example the Volkswagen Golf, Audi A3, Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia. All the same cars underneath, same engines etc. But have a different features. All are marketed at different parts of the Market (Skoda=budget, Seat=Sporty, Volkswagen=mainstream and Audi=premium) In essence they are the same, but different people buy each model for different reasons.

The Pentax/ Samsung badging is probably the same, aimed at different users.
Its the same with Panasonic/Leica.
01-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I still have not found any differences between the two other than cosmetics.
I have decided that if I can get the grip and the gx20 together, I will go that route, if not then it will be the K20D..By the way, in preliminary pricing, they look to be about the same. No difference. I really like the way the samsung buttons look on the back, plus they seem to be a little larger as well...