Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #1

Pentax body count

I have a kx and it is the only dslr body i own. It worries me should something happen to it, and wonder do most people own more than one body? If so, how many and which ones? I would love a WR body, but then of course I'd have to get WR lenses as well. I am planning a cross country trip this fall and think a WR body could really come in handy. Of course, can't really afford the K5 or K30 right now. What about a used K20d? or something... Just thinking out loud. Or, how well do those cheapy plastic rain cover things really work?

I also just love new toys and try to find any excuse to get something new

07-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is kind of similar discussion happening right now :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/174724-how-many-di...o-you-own.html
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice thread title.

QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
What about a used K20d? or something... Just thinking out loud. Or, how well do those cheapy plastic rain cover things really work?
A used K20D is an excellent camera, and you should be able to get one (or a K-7) with a WR kit lens for a pretty good price on the marketplace here. Or look into the "W" series of rugged compact cameras, since they are not just "weather resistant" but completely "waterproof" (I have a W-90 for underwater photos, but I think the WG-1 or WG-2 are even better).

Personally, I'd opt for either of these over one of those "raincoats" since they are only good to have if it's actually raining, and won't help you take pictures if your K-x decides to conk out during the trip...
07-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good suggestions already, I'll echo the used K20d remark. I think having two cameras is a good way to go if you can do it. It gives you options and on a critical shoot, a back up.

07-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have one Pentax body- the K20d. I also have a Panasonic G1 with adapters to Pentax DA and M42 lenses (of course, they can only be used manually). As much appealing as the K-5 and K-30 are, I really don't think that I need either. The K20d is more than enough of a camera for me and suits my needs fine. Sure it doesn't have video capabilities, the AF is a bit lacking, and once you go over iso 800, things get pretty noisy, but whatever... these things don't bother me- and if they don't bother you, the K20d is an excellent WR choice.