Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax...if you make a FF...make it SMALL!

I've been thinking about what if Pentax comes out with a FF.I have already have a 645d. The sensor on it is a lot larger than a FF. For a FF to be equal to the 645d it would have to be in ther 68-70 mp range. I then thought about how spoiled I am with Pentax's compact sizem dslr's. I compared my K-x to a D800. What a size diference...

D800
6w
4 15/16h
3 3/8 d
wt 35.3 oz

K-x
4 5/8 w
3 1/2 h
2 1/2d

I'm very happy with my little Pentax's even the 6, 10 and 12 mp'ers. But if Pentax came out with a FF that was along the lines of the D800 size, it would be too big for me. I'd just stick with my 645d for the big guns mp monster.

07-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would concur, if if can be managed; the FF SR unit limits how compact it can really be. I fully plan to keep my K-5 for years and years.. yet still I look over my lenses for full-frame abilities. Wow: 15 (fisheye), 28, 50, 70-150 and 200mm lenses means I'm set .. but wait I don't really care! Do I?
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But Slackercruster, how would we recognize professionals using Pentax FF gear?

Aside from them standing out in the rain taking photos while everyone else was hiding under umbrellas.
07-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Aside from them standing out in the rain taking photos while everyone else was hiding under umbrellas.
Been there. Done that!

07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Been there. Done that!
Me too! Even though I had an unsealed lens and some of the other guys had high end sealed Canikon cameras and lenses.
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I'd just stick with my 645d for the big guns mp monster.
Well, I would too--if I had one. Let's face it, there aren't many of us in your situation. A k20D sized FF wouldn't be a problem for me.
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I haven't taken my K-5 in the rain yet (haven't needed to, so far) although it has come out in some drizzle but I did raise a few eyebrows when I set it down in the snow while I was looking for something in my camera bag.

I think it was the casual way I said "Just a minute, I need to grab another battery" and shoved the camera into a convenient snow bank for a moment while looking for the battery, picked it up again, brushed off the snow and changed the battery.

Casualness is everything in using Pentax equipment successfully.

07-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I wish I had a 645d. Then I wouldn't be wishing so much for FF. Sing I don't, I will continue to wish for FF and I won't care if it is k20 sized or k5 sized!

@mtansley go shooting on the next rainy day! I can't tell you how much fun it is to shoot in poor weather conditions.
07-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think some of us have been over this ground before. I agree with the OP that a 35mm sensor Pentax should be smaller than the current offerings from elsewhere, nonetheless. Of course, the K-mount was made for an image circle of that size, so the trick is to fit the sensor into the immediate surrounds, along with the anti-shake gear, without putting too much pressure on the rest of the body shape. Inevitably, more MP means more memory, faster processing and all that goes with it. Not entering this segment too early has given Pentax the benefit of smaller, denser more efficient componentry, but there's a limit to what's possible, even so.

Assuming they are going to go down this path, compact size and solid WR build seems to be the big advantage to offer potential customers. I'd be more interested in a K-5 size, but anywhere up to a K20D would still be attractive.
07-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
@mtansley go shooting on the next rainy day! I can't tell you how much fun it is to shoot in poor weather conditions.
Once we get some rain around here I intend to. Or go to the beach and photograph some dogs jumping around in the lake and get some nice closeups when they shake all over you!!
07-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Or go to the beach and photograph some dogs jumping around in the lake
You are so lucky that your dogs jump around. When my husband and I rented a cottage near Gravenhurst our dog, Otis, just walked in (it was at Lake Morrison which is graduated entry) and then he laid down. He would just lay in the lake the whole time. I have to admit I was disappointed.

Of course, for a good use of WR you could always head to Niagara Falls. Loved doing the Journey Beneath the Falls with my Pentax gear.
07-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

While I personally have no problem with a FF body being bigger, I do think that Pentax will need to distinguish themselves from the crowd in some way. K20d size would be great.
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
You are so lucky that your dogs jump around. When my husband and I rented a cottage near Gravenhurst our dog, Otis, just walked in (it was at Lake Morrison which is graduated entry) and then he laid down. He would just lay in the lake the whole time. I have to admit I was disappointed.

Of course, for a good use of WR you could always head to Niagara Falls. Loved doing the Journey Beneath the Falls with my Pentax gear.
Actually, we don't have dogs, just 1 cat that only likes water to drink, not bathe in.

I do enjoy going to the beach area and photographing other folks dogs cavorting around in the water though.

Niagara would be a good place for WR equipment. Maybe in the not too distant future we can get there. (minus the cat, who doesn't like travelling).
07-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Go to Niagara and head out on maid of the mist, that will be a good challenge for WR
Never done it myself (somehow seems so touristy i never get to it, heck Niagara seems that way
I usually get derailed by wine country, and have yet to have a tasting turn into a drunken water pistol fight (sadly - that may be fun)
07-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I would be quick to jump on a small-sized FF camera from Pentax, and have been waiting for years. However, if it comes down to either a small FF, or a large FF with matching large VF the choice is clear. I wouldn't even hesitate buying a larger FF if it had a real VF, similar to the MX. Although Pentax is focusing on compact equipment, I hope they don't forget most FF users don't want a compact viewfinder.