Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D most economical for HDR

Pop Photo lists the K20D as the most economical camera for HDR. Yay!!!
Cool Cameras for HDR Photography - - PopPhotoJanuary 2008

01-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Pop Photo needs to start hiring better photographers. Yikes.
01-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi creampuff

Having read that article in Pop Photo, I am slightly bemused by the following section:

QuoteQuote:
There's a single-button burst option that captures five shots with one press of the shutter button. This function can also be utilized with the self-timer function, but be warned: It will fire off five shots with one press of the shutter button, but will count down either two or ten seconds between each shot when both these settings are turned on simultaneously.
What on earth would be the point of inserting a 2 to 10 second gap between each shot (via the self-timer function) when attempting to capture an HDR photograph ???? Or am I missing something obvious......

Best regards
Richard
01-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi creampuff
What on earth would be the point of inserting a 2 to 10 second gap between each shot (via the self-timer function) when attempting to capture an HDR photograph ???? Or am I missing something obvious......
Presumably that's exactly why they're warning against doing it.

01-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Time-lapse HDR perhaps?
No a big fan of HDR but I know of a friend who thrives on HDR and would love this feature of the K20D.

On a separate issue, the built-in intervalometer is really a gem feature that can be exploited to give new photographic opportunities - motion studies, fireworks, macro, time-lapse, architectural, stop-motion still animation, etc.
01-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the 2sec delay between HDR shots puzzles me as well.
They should have just added a wider EV step. The K10D only allows 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps. if they had 2ev or even 3ev steps (eyes can resolve 18 EV), it'd be better...
01-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
the 2sec delay between HDR shots puzzles me as well.
They should have just added a wider EV step. The K10D only allows 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps. if they had 2ev or even 3ev steps (eyes can resolve 18 EV), it'd be better...
I think the EV range is more than sufficient. Our eyes may discern a range of 18 EV but in a photographic context, no sensor is going to be able to cover such a wide range.

Using the textural range of the Zone System as a guide, (where we can discern texture and recognise objects), that covers a range from Zone II to Zone VIII, which works out to about 7 EV or exposure steps. So the K20D's 5 shots at 2 stop intervals is adequate to cover it.
01-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but quick-n-easy HDR might help me out when I'm documenting interiors (often windows are blown out in order to capture interior detail). Exciting!

01-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Hi a a i b

Great minds clearly think alike, because your suggestion that......

QuoteQuote:
Quick-n-easy HDR might help me out when I'm documenting interiors (often windows are blown out in order to capture interior detail). Exciting!
......was precisely what I was thinking ! Remembering back to the (not-so-good) old days of 35mm/medium format transparency films, it used to hack me off royally that on sunny days, I was invariably forced to compromise my decision one way or the other in order to prevent the highlights from blowing out the exposure. The astonishingly accurate readings from my indispensable Minolta Spotmeter F confirmed that the detail was there in the shadows, but I knew I had no way of exploiting it unless I more-or-less sacrificed the highlights. Well, with this new feature on the K20D, the 'boot' is most definitely 'on the other foot' so-to-speak !!
Having said all this, I still can't help feeling slightly underwhelmed by the overall specifications of the K20D and I'm afraid the arrival of the new model is not enough to tempt me to upgrade from my current K10D, unless the price drops considerably.

Best regards
Richard
01-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Syb
Site Supporter

I saw a picture taken in the woods in the german k20d katalog. The dynamic range there was really high. Only thing is that i have learnt not to trust what i see.

Pictures of food in cooking books may look delicious, but i have been told that what's actually on the plate is not at all nice.

So, maybe the forest picture I saw was post-processed, turned into a lab hdr. It may even just have been an artistic impression. No one said the pics in that catalog were made with a K20d, and moved straight (uncropped, unprocessed) into the pdf-writer. So I do not know.

But I am looking forward to see proof. Cuz 4 me its the IQ that will convince. Or not.
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #11

I was glad to see the article's head -
"The Pentax K20D, Canon EOS 1D Mark III, and Nikon D3 lead the pack in DSLRs for serious HDR photographers."
Nice company for K20D, eh?