Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quick Question on a 18-135mm Lens

Usually when i buy something new I like to totally check it out when I get it, I recieved an 18-135mm WR lens and am very satisfied with it, however I was messing around with it last night and noticed that the lens has some play/flex in it, is this normal? I checked my 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses and noticed that they have play and flex as well.
This new lens is my first Pentax DA lens I have ever bought, the good quality is there and I can feel it when I use it, I just got a little nervous of the side to side play/flex but I chalk it up to normal for a zoom lens. The play/flex I am talking about is basically when you are looking straight down on the top of the camera with the lens attached, you grab the zoom barrel and just push the end side to side, with the zoom extended you can get about a 16th of an inch of play. I tried it on my other "old" lenses as well and noticed some play as well, so I guess it isn't limited to Pentax lenses.

07-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you answered your own question. All lenses will have a bit of play in them. The Limiteds included, how much will vary depending on the individual lens obviously the limited have only very small amount of play. It is not something that I would worry about personally.
07-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a very small amount of play in the zoom cams and focus ring, but it's very small and nothing to worry about. The lens is constructed of high-quality fiber-reinforced plastic; I wouldn't worry about flex.

For reference, my DA L 55-300mm lens has obvious play in the zoom cam, which may produce visible decentering effects, but it doesn't seem to have an obvious impact on image quality. My D FA 50mm macro lens has some play in the focus cams, but the lens remains incredibly sharp.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
07-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I figured it was ok, just needed reassurance, whe I pay close to $500 for something like this I tend to get really picky lol, I guess I expect the tolerances to be exact and tight. These days it is hard enough justifying the high prices of lenses to the misses, she freaks out when she sees me browsing the new lenses on the internet and especially the higher priced ones. At least she knows that she gets to use them on her K-x so that really helps out when it comes to getting new lenses.