AA's all the way! 4034.48%
Like to have the choice of using either. 3933.62%
Using AAs is of no interest to me. 3731.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AA's. I rarely bother with the proprietary battery any more. I put a set of Energizer Lithiums in and it lasts me a month or more. Eneloops usually get me around 400 shots. Both offer way more life than the proprietary battery ever did in my K-r. I don't enjoy charging batteries constantly, so I am willing to pay a bit more for the lithiums since they last so long.

I do like having the option to use both, though. I think that's a nice innovative design Pentax uses and I hope they continue it in the future.

07-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
....I do like having the option to use both, though. I think that's a nice innovative design Pentax uses and I hope they continue it in the future.
Amen to that! It's one of the selling points that I never see emphasized. There was an interview at a Canadian Photo show with a rep from Pentax Canada and he didn't mention it. Giving the photographer a choice is a good thing!
07-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I shot over 1200 pictures a couple of Sundays ago at the Madison Regatta in 100 + degree weather on one set of Eneloops in my K200D I did over 1100 on Saturday on one set also. I never got to the set in the battery grip either day. They just flat work for me. The set I got over 1200 on is still in the camera going strong.
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I haven't got the foggiest idea as to why some people prefer AA's. Shop bought AA's got me around 15 shots. Eneloops about 60.
Really? I'm getting about 300 with my Energizer rechargeable sets. 200 if I'm using the flash. Eneloops are supposed to be great. Are you sure your charger is charging them fully. It may not be. I had a bad charger once. It would show them as fully charged but they'd never charge but halfway. Once I replaced the charger it was like having new batteries. I got 3-4X the number of shots with them.

I'm with the people above. I don't like hauling 2 chargers when I travel. I use the same batteries in all my other stuff, so why not the camera? It simplifies things. If I actually use up all my chargable batteries, not likely since I have 4 sets, but if I do, I can use anything AA. I'd just hit the nearest store and keep on shooting.

07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am an AA fan. The AA capability of the K-30 really pulls me. I've been caught with a dead battery in my K20D more than once; thinking I had a spare when I didn't, a couple of times due to premature discharge of third party batteries. I am more careful about carrying a spare now, even when I think I should have lots of juice, but I'm simply more comfortable with AA's. I usually have a set of AA's anyway for my flash, my p&s and/or my K-x.

I use Eneloops and Rayovac Hybrids, but I have a couple of sets of non-rechargeable lithiums. I read recently that the shelf life of Lithium AA's is 7 or 8 years.

Clavius, it sounds like you were trying to use alkaline AA's. They have never worked for more than a few shots in any camera I've owned, including a couple of Pentax DSLR's and compacts from Sony & Canon. You need NiMh or Lithiums in a camera, IME. Eneloops are good for a few hundred photos, Lithiums for a couple of thousand, and available at virtually any store in case of emergency. I don't even use alkalines in my flash, the recycle time with alkaline batteries is double what I get with NiMh or Lithiums..

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-18-2012 at 11:32 AM.
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My battery consuming gear includes 3 flashes and 2 Cactus v5 units beside the camera (K-x). I don't use all 3 flashes all the time, but sometimes I do. I have a single charger that can take up to 12 AA or AAA (or a mix). I've had few weekends where I used lots of battery and it's all up and running again in a day - incl. backup batteries.

Imagine if all units used Lion batteries. I'd need a charger for each type or even one charger per battery if I wanted them up and running quick. It quickly adds up in amounts of money and the clutter would be less pleasing as well.

I'm currently waiting for 2 K-5s to arrive and plan on using the Lions along with 2 other third party Lions I'll be purchasing. Buying a grip for both is too costly for me atm, but that will eventually be the route I will take and then keep the Lions as backup.

Another way to look at it (I only have experience from K-r): The Lion is rated to some 440 shots while my Sanyo XX batteries gives me twice as many exposures. They "only" last for 500 recharges but even if I recharged them every day (which I far from do), they'd still last close to 2 years which to me is reasonable enough for the power and versatility I get.
07-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Really? I'm getting about 300 with my Energizer rechargeable sets. 200 if I'm using the flash. Eneloops are supposed to be great.
I was supplied Energizer rechargeables with the Kodak p&s they gave me for work. They didn't last long when shooting, but the worst thing was how quickly they discharged when not in use. I could never count on them being ready to go unless I gave them a fresh charge. I was very happy to discover the much more robust Rayovac Hybrids and later Eneloops.

07-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to be clear, we're talking about proprietary lithium ion (e.g. DLI90) batteries, right? AA Lithium Ion 1.5(ish) volt batteries do not exist.

AA and AAA Battery FAQs
07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just to be clear, we're talking about proprietary lithium ion (e.g. DLI90) batteries, right? AA Lithium Ion 1.5(ish) volt batteries do not exist.

AA and AAA Battery FAQs
they exist but not rechargeables - essentially the AA variant on the old CR batteries

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
To the OP- How are you determining your AA's have run out of power? The one thing going for LiON batteries is with the right circuitry, they will give you a more accurate battery capacity reading. For reasons posted in other threads this is difficult to do with AA's. Switching the AA menu option from Auto to identifying the specific type of AA you are using helps, but it is not perfect. My experience is a set of AA batteries will go a LONG time in the middle orange zone, especially the eneloops. And the best feature for eneloops is while they self-discharge during storage, they do it MUCH more slowly than other AA types and MUCH more slowly than LiON.

As others have indicated, when I travel, I want to pack one charger. My flashes run off AA batteries and as my K-r will run off either the proprietary form-factor LiOn or AA's, I'll go with AA batteries all around.

I have two AA adapters for my K-r and a set of eneloops for each adapter. The spare adapter is pre-loaded with a rubber band around it and stuffed into a plastic sandwich bag. There is no chance for shorts and unless I stop shooting for months, they will remain fully charged. When I DO finally run out of power, it takes less than a minute (certainly no more time than with LiON) to swap in the pre-loaded adapter and keep shooting. I'll charge the exhausted set at my first opportunity.
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they exist but not rechargeables - essentially the AA variant on the old CR batteries

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries
They are not lithium ion. They are lithium iron disulfide. Not that is matters in the overall gestalt of the universe, but the distinction was the purpose of my post.

There are AA size Li, but they are 3.6-3.7 volts per cell.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.
07-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

AA and AAA Battery FAQs
Were you asking me? Lithium Ion is the kind of battery in a K10D, K20D, etc. When I said Lithium AA, I meant the ones eddie1960 pointed to.

From your link:
"lithium AA and AAA batteries - if you need batteries that last for years or are fantastic in extreme temperatures, this is the ticket. Yeah, I know - they are not rechargeable but there are some applications that these are really the best batteries for the job. They do last several times longer than alkalines, up to seven so the ads go..."

In a camera, Lithium AA's don't last 7 times longer than alkaline AA, they last 70 times longer.
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

They are not lithium ion. They are lithium iron disulfide. The distinction was the purpose of my post.

There are AA size Li, but they are 3.6-3.7 volts per cell.
The common term for the batteries you linked are AA Lithium and they are disposable. That's the terminology I will continue to use. If I mean rechargeable Lithium Ion, I will say that, or use the abbreviation, Li-ion.
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Were you asking me? Lithium Ion is the kind of battery in a K10D, K20D, etc. When I said Lithium AA, I meant the ones eddie1960 pointed to.
No, I was actually addressing the OP as people often refer to AA lithiums as lithium ion, which is improper so I was clarifying.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The common term for the batteries you linked are AA Lithium and they are disposable. That's the terminology I will continue to use. If I mean rechargeable Lithium Ion, I will say that, or use the abbreviation, Li-ion.
Correct. The common term for lithium AA is in fact lithium. As stated above, I wasn't addressing your post.
07-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
so you obviously do not take photos in remote places while travelling....
This is true, but then | would invest in a set of spares.