Like to have the choice of using either. 3933.62%
Using AAs is of no interest to me. 3731.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you prefer AA or Lithium Ion?

Some people prefer AA batteries because they are available anywhere in the world. I used to have a K200D, which ran on AAs, but for good results I needed good NiMHs and a charger anyway - shop bought AA's tended to be pretty short lived!

Some people prefer Li Ion batteries, as they are less fiddly, don't need an additional charger, and are extremely cheap (non-OEM). I'm in this camp now - the non-OEM batteries are cheaper and easier to insert than 4-packs of Eneloops!

Perhaps the K30 dual battery compartment makes both camps happy, although the size of the K30 Li Ion battery is smaller than I think it would otherwise have been so there is a slight compromise for Li Ion fans.

Which do you prefer and why?

Last edited by ihasa; 07-18-2012 at 02:18 AM.
07-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Banned

Li ion all the way for me. In camera's and future flashes.
07-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Far prefer the AAs . I don't care for Li-on technology at all.They discharge quickly when not in use. And all of mine have died an early death.

My flash takes AA. Many other devices I own take them as well. It's much more convenient to have only one charger when traveling also.
07-18-2012, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't got the foggiest idea as to why some people prefer AA's. Shop bought AA's got me around 15 shots. Eneloops about 60. But my DLI90 gets around the 800 shots with ease. And when I pick up my camera again after I didn't use it a while it seems like no power whatsoever has drained. And the argument that AA's are available everywhere really doesn't go for me, because so are DLI90's. Especially if you just take yours with you.

As soon as Pentax releases a flash that runs on the DLI90, I'll buy 3 of those flashes.

07-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Ultimate Lithium in my K-x and get 800-1000 photos (no flash) before the low level light comes on. I then replace these batteries with new ones and install the used batteries in other devices where they are still in use after 6 years. I also have a Canon that uses Li-on and I must have accumulated a half dozen batteries, most of which have to be refreshed every two or three months whether I use them or not. I like the K-x setup.
07-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My understanding is that Lithium Ions have a 'life time', which ends regardless of how many times they've been used or recharged. The original Pentax battery in my K7 is very good.
The $15 Chinese ebay battery I bought for it is fantastic. I'm sure both will work flawlessly for months/years, and then fail abruptly. That's Lithium Ion.
AA batteries will degrade slowly over a much longer period, meaning you'll be unsatisfied with their performance for a lot longer.

Regards
07-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I use both; I have the original battery that came with my K-r, and a battery holder with Eneloops. I get about twice as many shots out of the Eneloops, so they're my workhorse, but I still use the default battery while I charge the Eneloops. Though I don't think I could nearly approach the kind of figures people talk about. It seems keeping my camera in remote drive mode drains batteries quite a bit quicker, even with no flash, no instant review and LCD brightness turned down. I think the most I've got out of a single charge is about 200 shots. Yet other people report 600-700.

Anyway, I like the option of both. AAs are available almost anywhere in the world so great in a pinch. Eneloops are cheap and durable, but there's no reason not to use the batteries the cameras come with.

07-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I haven't got the foggiest idea as to why some people prefer AA's. Shop bought AA's got me around 15 shots. Eneloops about 60. But my DLI90 gets around the 800 shots with ease. And when I pick up my camera again after I didn't use it a while it seems like no power whatsoever has drained. And the argument that AA's are available everywhere really doesn't go for me, because so are DLI90's. Especially if you just take yours with you.

As soon as Pentax releases a flash that runs on the DLI90, I'll buy 3 of those flashes.
Wow, only 60? What's your typical usage? Do you use lots of SDM lenses or Live View? If I only got 60 out of my Eneloops, I don't think I'd like them much either. I estimate I get about 600-700 shots with Eneloops, charged by the stock Sanyo Eneloop charger. I never use the built-in flash on my K200D and I am constantly using the LCD to check pictures. None of my lenses have SDM; in fact, I've been manually focusing a lot these days.
07-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Wow, only 60? What's your typical usage? Do you use lots of SDM lenses or Live View? If I only got 60 out of my Eneloops, I don't think I'd like them much either. I estimate I get about 600-700 shots with Eneloops, charged by the stock Sanyo Eneloop charger. I never use the built-in flash on my K200D and I am constantly using the LCD to check pictures. None of my lenses have SDM; in fact, I've been manually focusing a lot these days.
Ditto here with both my K-x and K-r on the eneloops. They work well, last longer than the OEM battery, and serve multiple purposes. Its part of why I bought a battery grip for my K-5, because it comes with an AA tray
07-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Under normal use. I was used to such poor performance, as it was the same with both my Fuji Finepix S9500 and Olympus 2020c. So I thought it was normal. And I still do, the performance of AA's in my flashes is terrible. A flash with the DLI90 would be so sweet!

I don't have my K200D anymore. I regret selling it as I would now like to have a IR converted body. Now I'm using the K5, so I'm probably just comparing apples to pears.
07-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Under normal use. I was used to such poor performance, as it was the same with both my Fuji Finepix S9500 and Olympus 2020c. So I thought it was normal. And I still do, the performance of AA's in my flashes is terrible. A flash with the DLI90 would be so sweet!

I don't have my K200D anymore. I regret selling it as I would now like to have a IR converted body. Now I'm using the K5, so I'm probably just comparing apples to pears.
I easily get 10x the shots with my K-x and AAs that you are reporting. I'm not doing some ultra power conservation thing with the camera either, it's with pretty normal use with screw drive lenses, LCD on after each shot, etc.
07-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I put in either, but reality is I prefer the Li-ion . for my K10 and K7 I have a couple of batteries and a grip. Even on the most extreme day of shooting I've not needed to drop in the aa tray in my grip.
I'm with Ron, I wish they would release the flashes with the same battery as the K5/7/645D body. But I do like having the reasurring option of dropping a tray in my grip on the K7 on the off chance i run out of power and have no way of recharging
07-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AA great for travellers

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Li ion all the way for me. In camera's and future flashes.
so you obviously do not take photos in remote places while travelling....
07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
so you obviously do not take photos in remote places while travelling....
that is the only reason i would want AA, but to be honest the weight and price of rechargeable AA i may as well just order a dozen knockoff batteries from china at $6 each 2 for $10 and charge them all before leaving. Good Li-Ion Aa like the energisers cost more for one set for my Ds or flash than a chines Dli90. enloops like the dli90 require charging
When the only option was OEM batteries at $600-100 AA made tons of sense. the chinese knockoffs can be had 2 for $10 free shipping now so AA loses it's advantage in my eyes. If you have a grip for the K5 or K7 it comes with the aa adapter as a backup in any case, and the k30 and kr have adapters available. Pentax is the only one who provides these options on non gripped cameras AFAIK
07-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you must be doing something wrong.
after I purchased Pentax D-BG4 I practically stopped using D-LI90's and switched entirely onto Eneloop AA"s , can take well over 1200 photos using 6xAA in a grip, a total joy!!!