Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you like the 4/3 ratio extended to FF digital?
No, leave 35mm FF dslr ratio alone 1257.14%
Yes, change the 35mm FF dslr ratio to 4/3 29.52%
Possibly...but not sure? 14.76%
No opinion 628.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Would you like the 4/3 ratio extended to FF digital?

Would you like the 4/3 ratio extended to FF digital? Or are you satisfied with the current ratios?

07-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I've gone back and forth. I like 4:3 because it's easier to print, and 3:2 because it's easier to stitch.
07-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not go for a square format?
07-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I often find the square format perfect for flowers.

07-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like a large 4/3th sensor.
07-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Square would be best. We pay good money for our lenses, we may as well use as much of the glass as we can. With a square sensor, you could always set the aspect ratio to your favorite rectangle, whether that be the 3:2 or 4:3 or even 16:9. Or you could just crop to any desired aspect ratio in post-processing. How could anybody be against this???

I would almost guarantee that if one of the big camera makers came out with a square sensor in a DSLR, it would create waves. With how incredible all of the modern cameras are in terms of image quality, they're going to have to look for new ways to set themselves apart from the competition, and a square sensor would definitely do it.

I came from an Olympus DSLR, and I continue shoot with an Olympus PEN, and whenever I'm editing my images, I'm always struck with how the images from my Pentax DSLR basically have the tops and bottoms masked off when compared to the images from my Olympus. Those are pixels I'll never get back!
07-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Square would be best. We pay good money for our lenses, we may as well use as much of the glass as we can. With a square sensor, you could always set the aspect ratio to your favorite rectangle, whether that be the 3:2 or 4:3 or even 16:9. Or you could just crop to any desired aspect ratio in post-processing. How could anybody be against this???
People who want wide angles to stay wide?

The maximum size square that fits in a FF image circle is 30x30mm, meaning you effectively lose 1/6 of the horizontal field of view (or vertical if you shoot portrait). Crop it to 3:2 and you lose vertical as well, making it effectively a 1.2x cropped sensor for people who prefer that to square (which I'd venture make up a majority), only you add extra post-processing steps and lose pixels.

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-20-2012 at 08:59 PM.
07-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
People who want wide angles to stay wide?

The maximum size square that fits in a FF image circle is 30x30mm, meaning you effectively lose 1/6 of the horizontal field of view.
Is there a law that says the image sensor has to be limited to the size of the image circle? Isn't there somebody who makes a camera with a sensor that is larger than the image circle in order to be able to use a variety of aspect ratios without making the sacrifices you describe? I remember reading something like that a year or two ago, but now I can't remember what the camera was. I'm thinking that it was one of the serious compacts that shoot RAW.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.
07-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Is there a law that says the image sensor has to be limited to the size of the image circle? Isn't there somebody who makes a camera with a sensor that is larger than the image circle in order to be able to use a variety of aspect ratios without making the sacrifices you describe? I remember reading something like that a year or two ago, but now I can't remember what the camera was. I'm thinking that it was one of the serious compacts that shoot RAW.
You could make a 36x36mm sensor, if you don't mind having a large portion of a medium format sized piece of very expensive silicon go to waste... (EDIT: or maybe not so much, see my next post)

The camera you're talking about is the Panasonic GH2. Only a very small portion of the sensor is outside the imaging circle (and the full sensor is still significantly smaller than APS-C, keeping cost low). This page has a good diagram of the sensor configuration: Bjorn Utpott Photography - Journal - GH2: My Next.

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-21-2012 at 03:29 AM.
07-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hmmm, I ran through the geometric calculations, and if I did them right I found that for a 36x36mm sensor, only 5% would actually be outside the FF image circle so contrary to what I said above, not that much is wasted in terms of overall possible usage (more in practice). However, no more than 70% of the sensor could be used for any given image, so you'd still be paying for a medium format size sensor while getting FF size images .

And it just occurred to me that it is not possible to fit a mirror for 36x36mm inside the K-mount without smacking the lens, so it would be EVF only (or a different mount). Not sure even 30x30mm would work in that regard.

EDIT: It also just occurred to me that a 36x30mm sensor could do any ratio 36x36 can (using portrait orientation) with much less waste. Whoops! Stil dunno about that mirror though.

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-21-2012 at 01:10 AM.
07-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
It also just occurred to me that a 36x30mm sensor could do any ratio 36x36 can (using portrait orientation) with much less waste. Whoops! Stil dunno about that mirror though.
So that means the sensor would be about 20% larger than a standard 36x24mm FF sensor. So it's definitely an extra cost, but I think it would pay off.

It would be cool if they could develop an edge-to-edge image sensor, so that an array of smaller, higher-yield, image sensors could be used instead of a single large sensor. For example, four sensors side-to-side in a square formation.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-21-2012 at 06:17 AM.
07-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

So that means the sensor would be about 20% larger than a standard 36x24mm FF sensor. So it's definitely an extra cost, but I think it would pay off.

It would be cool if they could develop an edge-to-edge image sensor, so that an array of smaller, higher-yield, image sensors could be used instead of a single large sensor. For example, four sensors side-to-side in a square formation.
well that would be a circel formed sensor, but that is the most expensive solution, since you can't make the efficient on a wafer.

I think having a different, but large, sensor then other company's would make Pentax stand out and that can be good.