Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the informative article. Really thoughtfully and realistically done.

I noticed much of the same things when I traded in my Nikon F80 and bought the *ist DL.

(The F80 was really the progenitor of Nikon's consumer DSLRs. Every Nikon I have played with since behaves very similarly -- my dad's D50, friends' D70s, D80.)

I noticed the "doublecheck focus" thing on my *ist DL as soon as I bought it. It was probably more noticeable because my first lens was the FA 28-90, which has a long focus throw and moving front element. At first I worried that something was wrong with the camera (or lens) because you could see the lens snap into focus, then jerk away and back into focus again. I stopped worrying when I realized that it was -supposed- to do that. On a faster lens I don't even notice it doing that. Having more than a few blurry shots courtesy of Nikon's AF, I appreciated the effort to get it right!

I also completely agree with the bargain "kit price" to build a Pentax system. I just couldn't get past the sticker shock on most Nikon gear. I also hated that most of the used lenses I wanted to buy wouldn't meter on any camera lower than the D200....

The only piece of Nikon gear I have left is the Nikon SB22s -- it makes a great auto flash on my *ist DL, with bounce and variable power!

01-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

thought I would show an image I took with my K10D in December. the Image is HDR and the lens was 10-20mm sigma
Attached Images

01-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Great write up.. and I love that we can have a discussion like this without lots of bashing . Two questions.. how well did the AF do in good light compared to the K10? Was it just as inaccurate as in low light?

And.. did you happen to have a chance to test out the "3d auto focusing" on anything? I've read a few things about it but haven't heard a neutral source say how they liked it.

Again great compare/contrast!

John
01-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #34
Veteran Member

IF

IF we have already built and invested deep into the Pentax system, it is always difficult to switch and change.

But for someone who starts from scratch and someone who just wants an acceptable AF system and AE metering accuracy, Pentax is just the worst choice out there, very honestly.

I simply start a new system and wait Pentax to make a proper body someday. But yet, the K20D just let me down again!

01-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOW at least 5 negative posts in a few minutes

Your on a roll tonight. Still waiting for those side by side 5d/ k100 shots...
01-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Hi,

I just want to add my experience with my friend who owns a Nikon D200 with a highly regarded 18-200mm zoom.
Since he showed me his camera, I told him how much praises I heard about Nikon's AF speed and fps. I told him that my K100D is very slow in low light even with a considerably fast lens (43Ltd).
Interestingngly he told me that he's surprised that I thought that way. In his experience using D200 at 5 fps, maybe he only got one or two the most that are focus and that's if he's lucky.
Most of the time he's not relying on the speed anymore since he's not getting good result. So he just use one shot at a time.
Well, he's not a sport photographer either. But that was a surprise to me.
Now that Phil had done the test w/ D300, it makes me sure that speed is nothing if you can't see the picture.

Just wanna share.
02-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
And is it true that the K20D will give users the option to turn that double-check off?
The "function" in question wasn't designed to be used this way though.

It is a new "Catch-in Focus" function in the custom menu - i.e. Trap Focus. You use manual focus to pre-select a focus point/position, and the shutter would trigger as soon as an object comes into focus.

I would speculate that if you use this function during AF-C or AF-S, the shutter would be released at the first "pass" of the focus lock, thus by passing the "double check". So you are trading accuracy off for speed (what other brand has been doing all along).

02-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Great comparison, Phil. I am surprised to learn that the d300 misses AF accuracy sometimes. I had always assumed that the Nikon AF system was as accurate as the Pentax system, if not more. Something to investigate further. Pentax giving up speed for accuracy does seem to fit the recent trends- with the K20 they seem to be giving up speed for image quality, for example.
02-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Phil, I have had similar thoughts, however drew a different conclusion.

I am in the fortunate position of knowing an owner of a D300, as well as plenty of good Nikkor lenses. He is also an employee of a local camera store. Going back about 3 weeks ago I got to handle the D300 and was impressed by its feel. It is quite a large camera, larger than a K10D for sure. It did feel funny to use without a grip though, after having all that extra 'meat' on the bottom of my K10D.

I fired off a couple of test shots with the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 in the store and was impressed by the speed of the AF, but it was by no means light years ahead of the K10D, especially considering I typically use a lens whos maximum aperture is 3.5.

The real test for me will be to use the D300 at the race track. This is what I shoot most, and what my business is. In doing what I do I've reached the limits of the Pentax AF system, it simply can't keep up. For the shots I do MF simply is not an option and I am finding myself sacrificing the perfect shot because I know, from the angle I'm trying to shoot, the K10D will not be able to handle it. Sure I am getting some good shots, but I'm sacrificing that shot simply because the hardware won't be able to do it.

My action plan for the minute is to wait until I can have a K20D in my hands. I've been told that I will be able to borrow the camera and take it to the race track and see if it performs how I need it to perform. If it doesn't meet my requirements I am prepared to entertain other options. Fortunately I don't have a huge investment in Pentax, enough, but not enough to discourage me from leaving. I did have plans of adding to my investment into the Pentax system in the next few weeks, but have put that on hold pending a play with a K20D.

I like Pentax, the way the cameras function and the images they produce, but I do not enjoy the battle to find lenses, or the paying of inflated costs because these are not available.

I look forward to handling a K20D and hope it is the camera I need it to be.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Phil, but I thought it best to post my thoughs here than make a new thread.

Adam.
Hi,

Just wondering what sort of racing you are shooting that K10 can't keep up. I mean my smelly old K100 can keep up with 160kph approaching and passing by rally cars in normal light. Usually with taking 3 pic bursts altleast 2 of them are in focus. I haven't shot a lot on a track where the shooting distances can be a bit longer but in the other hand the panning slower. On panning i'm trying to focus on the car number.
Attached Images

02-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pnuk Quote
Just wondering what sort of racing you are shooting that K10 can't keep up.
I notice the problem with circuit racing and drag racing where the subject is approaching square on, at speed.

As in this kind of shot.
02-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
But yet, the K20D just let me down again!
It's not out and has already let you down...?

That's inadmissible!

It's time to write a full review on your blog about this despickable camera (and maybe try a letter to Hoya CEO to tell him how you feel about his inadequate offering?) but be sure not to include any pictures nor to actually ever use it: it could spoil your credibility!

Have I told you how much I loved you lately?
02-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It's not out and has already let you down...?

That's inadmissible!

It's time to write a full review on your blog about this despickable camera (and maybe try a letter to Hoya CEO to tell him how you feel about his inadequate offering?) but be sure not to include any pictures nor to actually ever use it: it could spoil your credibility!

Have I told you how much I loved you lately?
Could you actually notice I am not the only Pentaxian who've expressed their disappointments on the K20D already on the net after the official announcement?
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #43
racinsince55

Anyone remember this?

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
Just 20 days and no more about "NDA's" or "I ran into a guy" or "this is what I think it will have". Just 20 days and we'll all know.

Unfortunately, that will be followed by a year of RichHigh telling us about everything wrong with Pentax new offerings and flooding the forums with his garbage.

Last edited by racinsince55; 02-01-2008 at 09:58 AM.
02-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Could you actually notice I am not the only Pentaxian who've expressed their disappointments on the K20D already on the net after the official announcement?
Oh yeah! I noticed...

Somehow, I felt that since you bought an under specified Canon model for nearly $3000 (only 3fps and 1/200s X-sync and not even weather sealed for $3000?! You're kidding me!), you would be more sensitive to the potential impact of having a new sensor in that camera...
02-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Oh yeah! I noticed...

Somehow, I felt that since you bought an under specified Canon model for nearly $3000 (only 3fps and 1/200s X-sync and not even weather sealed for $3000?! You're kidding me!), you would be more sensitive to the potential impact of having a new sensor in that camera...
Well, it is not perfect. But it excels in many ways especially it has an excellent FF sensor and especially it is accurate for both the AE and AF departments plus far more responsive in shutter lag, which I must regard are all the most important performance aspects of a CAMERA.

I actually have pointed out the various weaknesses of the 5D previously on the net and the K10D does do much better in some areas. Just see my that post yourself:-

Forum