Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only major reasons I am thinking about getting a K-30 are WR and the AF is supposedly better. Other than that, no, I dearly love my K-x and I'm going to keep it as my #2 body actually. I do need a little more capacity than my K-x has for outdoors work and better AF would be nice but actually I can do my job with my K-x just fine. I shoot for work with it, no problem.

07-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I really need the slightly increased dynamic range and drastically increased high ISO performance of a K-5
Well, I have been viewing many of the new cameras of various brands, and one thing I see in the testing reports......the K5 is still right up there with the best in these two areas. Unless there are other features, like video or faster more accurate AF in low light etc, the K5, when cost is factored...is still the best camera on the market today IMHO.

Regards!
07-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I own the k5, and to put it simply; no. It will be much more camera then my skills deserve for years to come
07-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Outgrown? No, gone backwards

I started with a K-r about a year ago, and bought a used K200d as a backup body when one showed up cheap. Now I find myself using the K200d most of the time - I prefer its handling, quiet shutter, and its ability to take a battery grip. I dont' use live view so for me, low light performance is the only real downside of the K200. I also realised that for a hobby I don't really need two bodies. I could sell both and go for a k-5 now that the price is lower, but I don't feel any urgency to move up.

07-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

When I got my k20 I had outgrown my DL. I needed more control and weddings require low light. When I got the K5, I had outgrown the k20. The k5 gave me even more control and lower light. I really feel that in the last few months I have hit my stride with the k5. I feel very comfortable that I know exactly how to get the kind of image I am thinking of with my camera. The things I want on a replacement (and FF is my preference here) are still lower light and a better AF system. That said, I still love my k5 so much that even if the Pentax FF was available tomorrow I wouldn't get rid of my k5. I would use the two systems side by side.

The other thing that I have outgrown is the flash system. Last week, it worked okay and I had a few days of thinking that the Pentax system wasn't that bad, but it was just average and I shouldn't expect it to match canikon. Tonight, things return to normal. I can't rely on output when bouncing the 540 on the k5. I can't even rely on it firing or recycling quickly when brand new lithium batteries are in it. Tonight it took over 30 seconds for the damn thing to recharge and many times it was over a minute. The sync speed sucks and the built in wireless can be beyond frustrating. If Pentax can't give me FF at photokina they should at least give me a Better flash system.
07-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
The other thing that I have outgrown is the flash system. Last week, it worked okay and I had a few days of thinking that the Pentax system wasn't that bad, but it was just average and I shouldn't expect it to match canikon. Tonight, things return to normal. I can't rely on output when bouncing the 540 on the k5. I can't even rely on it firing or recycling quickly when brand new lithium batteries are in it. Tonight it took over 30 seconds for the damn thing to recharge and many times it was over a minute. The sync speed sucks and the built in wireless can be beyond frustrating. If Pentax can't give me FF at photokina they should at least give me a Better flash system.
If you're experiencing 30 sec cycle times or more there's either something wrong with your flash or your batteries. I would try a different type of battery, but if that doesn't fix it, and the flash is still under warranty, send it in. If it's out of warranty, get a Metz. But yeah, the Pentax flash system is prehistoric compared to the sophistication of the Nikon CLS.
07-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went back to a *ist D well into 2009 after being used to the K10D and K20D and never felt that I 'outgrew' it. A good and capable camera will always be a useful tool. Now that I have a K-5 I can feel a little more liberal with high ISO but wouldn't mind shooting with its predecessors (for most things - but it's nice having that extra speed and responsiveness...)

07-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Due to my obsession in low light I rather quickly outgrew my first two dslr's, Nikon D80 and D90. I came into pentax with the k-5, I am not obsessed with lowlight anymore, and I think I can do with a D90 now. Maybe even a D80.
07-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
If you're experiencing 30 sec cycle times or more there's either something wrong with your flash or your batteries. I would try a different type of battery, but if that doesn't fix it, and the flash is still under warranty, send it in. If it's out of warranty, get a Metz. But yeah, the Pentax flash system is prehistoric compared to the sophistication of the Nikon CLS.
Last weekend I had normal cycle times, but this weekend was just painful. And truthfully, while the 540 is slow compared tomehta my friends withnikon, it was never this bad. I have always used lithium batteries in it because it gave me the best response time. I am wondering if I got a bad batch of lithiums, though, because this was just abnormal behavior for my flash. I was thinking of switching to eneloops anyway, so maybe this is my push.

All of that said, I would still really like it if Pentax introduced a new flash at photokina. If they don't I will probably sell the 540(as long as nothing is wrong with it) and switch over to Metz. I am also debating buying an led video light because many of the DJs in my area have been getting fancy with the disco lights and it is a real nightmare photographically. I love the ones that make everyone look like they have green chickenpox.
07-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try regular off the shelf non rechargeable batteries in your flash, the thing should be designed for rechargeable but my old 280T's both work sporadically or not at all with any rechargeable batteries.
07-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I outgrew the K-7 noise pretty fast
As for the K-5, will probably see me out, still discovering new things it can do .
Pete
07-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Nope, haven't outgrown it... I just need another body, but nothing earlier than a K-5..
07-23-2012, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #28

I do not think one can outgrow a camera. You can always take amazing shots from an old camera (if it still works). There is always a higher specification camera that one can aspire to. Indeed, the change in technology means that the envelope is moving. I believe one "outgrows" a camera when a "better" model becomes affordable - either because one has more money or else the camera becomes cheaper.

Thus saying, I have "outgrown" my K200D and bought a K5 because
1. I was getting frustrated by the low light noise (high iso limit)
2. I wanted 2 wheels
3. I had the money
4. The K5 is now affordable
5. The wife allowed me to (possibly the most crucial reason...) (she now has the K200!)

As a hobby, I do not see myself "outgrowing" the K5 any time soon. I am amazed at its performance! I will probably throw a lot of money into glass before I get a new body.
07-25-2012, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #29
Inactive Account

Interesting question!

The only thing I can think of; how on earth did photogs using cameras like the Canon EOS D20 or even D10 get along, or a Nikon user armed with a D70 (all circa 2002-2004)? Surely they ran into the same low light issues mentioned here or AF challenges with action shots. But the bottom line, they did make it work with equipment we would not even think could possibly be used today in these situations (let alone using a camera/lens that did NOT have some form of Image Stabilization).

No, I do not think I could ever possibly out grow the capabilities of the current cameras/lenses I use. No need for more Megapixels, or Higher ISO's or faster more accurate AF or Dynamic Range, I've got them all, I just have to figure out how to put IT together...
07-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

A friend of mine who is a pro shot with w 20 D until last year when she finally picked up a 5d2, Like me she would shoot some live events. she invariably would resort to flash though unless prohibited (and shows where it is prohibited also tend to be large show with good lights so less of an issue)
you couldn't place your images with Getty now with a camera like the 20d or D70 (or D200) they use the camera type as a defacto filter now