Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10D and Ebay Wireless Triggers

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone used cheap ebay wireless triggers to connect your K10D to strobes? If so, what kind of wireless triggers were they? I’m looking for an alternative to the pc cable and want to pick up of these ebay triggers but I’m a little confused. Mainly because of the 1/180 sync speed- not being sure of the trigger is compatible with it. Also, are the 12v transmitters safe to use in the K10D hotshoe?

I understand that the 4, 8 and 16 channel triggers are more attractive than single channel units. If anyone has had an experience with these units, let me know, I’d appreciate it. I’m leaning towards a RD616 or on of these:

Radio Slave Flash Trigger for Studio 16 +2 Receiver T3H - (eBay.ca item 190192490882 end time 26-Jan-08 04:26:50 EST)

01-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
Forum Member

I am currently using Cactus V2 triggers which I purchased from ebay (gadgetinfinity). They work quite well, but I need new a new FLASH! Anyways, they haven't misfired or caused me any major trouble since I got them. And I've been using them on both the K10d and a Canon 30d. The sync speed of these triggers are only about 1/200.

Wireless Flash Trigger V2s for Sunpak 433D 383 - (eBay.ca item 190192171222 end time 26-Jan-08 22:39:19 EST)
01-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm trying to connect to Alien Bees.
01-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spaceguy1 Quote
I am currently using Cactus V2 triggers which I purchased from ebay (gadgetinfinity). They work quite well, but I need new a new FLASH! Anyways, they haven't misfired or caused me any major trouble since I got them. And I've been using them on both the K10d and a Canon 30d. The sync speed of these triggers are only about 1/200.

Wireless Flash Trigger V2s for Sunpak 433D 383 - (eBay.ca item 190192171222 end time 26-Jan-08 22:39:19 EST)
How did you make them work with 1/200 on k10d? i can't pass 1/125
At 1/160 1/4th of frame is black.
I cant make them work in any mode over 180

Personally i think its a piece of c*** after todays battle with hot shoe version. I just can't put them any father then 10 ft away from trigger
I'm trowing them away next week

Kemal they will work with AB's, both hot shoe and studio version

01-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spaceguy1 Quote

Did you have to pay duty?
01-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The transmitter in that set looks like the one that came with my set. The receiver is different though. The set I got was a POS. I could not get it to sync at any speed with any consistency. I bought Pocket Wizards instead. They are reliable up to about 1/125. Other people have had good luck with the Cactus brand.
01-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just bought a set (1 transmitter and 2 recievers), I think they are complete junk. I cant get my 540fgz flash to sync higher than 1/30. My old flash (af220t pentax) will sync at 1/125 and sometimes 1/160. There is a polarity issue with the these. If they are not sottered properly then the newer pentax flashes will not sync properly. Something to do with a positive charge. Save your dough and buy the PW's or another reputable brand.

01-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramzey Quote
How did you make them work with 1/200 on k10d? i can't pass 1/125
At 1/160 1/4th of frame is black.
I cant make them work in any mode over 180

Personally i think its a piece of c*** after todays battle with hot shoe version. I just can't put them any father then 10 ft away from trigger
I'm trowing them away next week

Kemal they will work with AB's, both hot shoe and studio version
Well could you at least throw them in my trash can?
01-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine are fine (the V2s version that's supposed to work better w/ Vivitar 285HV flashes). I use mine w/ Nikon speedlights and get 1/180 sync w/ my K10D. I even plug them into the hotshoes and don't use the PC sync cable. Best $90 for the set (1 tx, 4rx) I've spent in a long while.

I bought them from Midwest Photo. If you get a full set, the total is a bit less since you don't wacked by the typical ebay shipping/profit charges...

With all the variance, I'd say try to find someone who will let you borrow them locally. If not, order from a place w/ a decent return policy. Also, replace the battery in the transmitter (the symptom when that battery gets weaker is that the sync speed drops a stop)...
01-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There is a wide variation in quality with these flashes, and we should remember that they are all built in China where liberal or non-existent copyright laws allow multiple companies to take apart a competitor's design and reverse engineer it to their own price points.

To me, reliability is key and I use the Ebay triggers only to backup my SM Flashwaves (that, so far have been flawless.) Plus, I love how the Flashwave receiver has a built-in hotshoe, will sync to 1/180 seconds, will reliably work at several hundred meters and can fire my Pentax cameras using the supplied cables.
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Well could you at least throw them in my trash can?
Sorry someone else was faster..............

Kenyee, mine are v2 as well, and one of them is vivitar 285hv version
.Even with brand new batteries they don't sync at 180. I tried with 285HV, sigmafor pentax and ABees.
01-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess my only recommendation would be to use them with anything but modern Pentax flashes. Seems like everything else will sync to 1/125 min... Thats not too bad for the price???? I'm keeping mine and picking up a couple old vivitar flashes. I'm in the process of doing the antenna mod, and adding AA battery boxes to the recievers. (just waiting for the epoxy to dry)
01-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #13

2 things.

1. Do not get Gadget Infinity V2(s) Triggers (PT-04) or identical ones if you plan to use your flash on a light stand with a umbrella!

2. Do not get Gadget Infinity V2(s) Triggers (PT-04) or identical ones if you plan to use your flash on a light stand with a umbrella!

Yes I know I repeated myself but its stressing a point! If you plan on going wireless and to use an umbrella (kind of the point of going wireless\offcamera) do not get these triggers! Im not saying theres anything wrong with them they just arent your best option when it comes to cheap wireless triggers. 1. They break very easily 2. They put the flash way to high up when put on top of a lightstand+umbrella holder to be of much use. In the standard position your shooting over the umbrella, and to shoot into the umbrella properly you will need to move it downwards using the receivers, putting lots of strain on it. Often leading to broken receivers. Once youve tried them this way you will probably decide to just use the PC sync instead of the hotshoe, which defeats the whole purpose of getting them in the first place (cheap triggers that use hotshoes, as your flash may not have a PC sync). Besides being counter intuitive you have to rely on the pc port on your flash which to be quite honest isn't something I would trust. Unless of course your using a screwlock pc cable which helps but isn't really worth it.
So if you want to go wireless with the cheap radio triggers, get the 16 Channel ones (sometimes sold in a 4 channel version for less) off ebay. Theres a buyer in the US that sells them for under $20+shipping. Just make sure its the one that uses AAA's in the receiver instead of AC power and uses the 1/4" phone plug. The reason you want to get these is 1. They use AAA's in the receiver instead of expensive CR2's I believe (?) 2. They have a 1/4" phone plug. These plugs are built to last! Remember the good old switch boards? Guess what type of plug they relied on to get the job done? Not a pc jack anyway!
Now your probably asking how your going to connect that to your flash? With one of these or these. Depending what connection your flash has you would need one of those (or not if your using a studio strobe that has 1/4" jack). It would sit under your flash or plug into the pc port, plug into your trigger and hang it off your umbrella PW style. Now your flash is at the "correct" height on the umbrella holder, you dont have to rely on your trigger for moving your strobe around, you rely on the umbrella holder which was made do be relied on! Pop the transmitter on your hotshoe and your good to go!

Enjoy!
Thanks

PS. IMPORTANT - If you get the hotshoe - 1/4" plug adapter make sure that your umbrella holder can switch the standard hotshoe for a 1/4" 20 screw on thread to screw the adapter on where the hotshoe would normally sit. If your planning on getting a holder still I know the one FlashZebra sells has it, and Impact Adapter sold by B&H ($13.95 I believe) has it as well. But many of the ebay ones DO NOT so make sure.
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmmm...

Works great (V2) on my old SunPack 383 and K100D.

------------
Michael
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Mikhail, fellow York region guy here.

I found a video on Expert Village, and he used back drop stands, with an umbrella attachment slide on the top. The attachments have a hotshoe on top, and the hole for the umbrella arm. They are adjustable etc, and he seemed to have no problem with the triggers.

I'm going to look into that system when i get a few more pay checks.

Dave