Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yeah, the battery will fit.

As far as battery life goes, I've got a battery in the camera and one in the grip. I don't know if one is dead, although I expect that one of them is. I've got 1200 shots and counting on the two.

01-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog Quote
Yes, it's the same battery.
01-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its arrived... ITS ARRIVVVEDDDD!

Problem is I can't use it for an hour until I get back home, arrghhh!

Question: how long does the battery take to charge before it gets full using the supplied charger?

Rich.
01-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Less than two hours or so to charge the battery. It's just long enough for you to give a good flip though the manual.

01-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do these betteries suffer from memory effect ie: can I charge for 1.5hrs then use it then charge fully later wil no ill-effects?
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I always charge my batteries fully the first time, so I wouldn't really know. It just isn't worth it to not do that.
01-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog Quote
Do these batteries suffer from memory effect, i.e., can I charge for 1.5hrs then use it then charge fully later with no ill-effects?
No problems. However, I wouldn't update the firmware with anything than a fully charged battery. Just in case. If your battery dies during a firmware upgrade, Pentax says that it is not user fixable and will need to be returned to the company...and it isn't every covered under warranty. I've never had a problem, but don't want to risk it.

It is said that the batteries come from the factory with a 40% charge. Something about that being the optimal charge for longevity (and shipping). Don't think you would hurt anything to just pop the thing in and play until you get home at night. Unless you are going to exercise the "continuous JPEG capture until the memory card is full", you probably will have enough juice to test out the camera.

01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

"Do these betteries suffer from memory effect"

no.. pop it on charge whenever u think it needs it or have nothing better to do.. it will always be fully charged when u need it then..

trog
01-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hehehe I charged it full, no worries. This camera is beautiful... i've already got reaosnably accustomed with the menu system and options (techie nature) and took a few preliminary pics of my dad, a bottle of superglue etc and first impressions were fantastic... very sharp and defined on the 6MP JPG setting!

Can anyonje reccommend the best long-term photograph upload site with few restrictions on file size and a very good gallery archiving system? I have no problems whatsoever paying a monthly amount for the pleasure if the service is quality.

Rich.
01-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PBase
Smugmug
Flicker

These 3 seem to be the most popular.
01-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
PBase
Smugmug
Flicker

These 3 seem to be the most popular.
Also among popular:

PicasaWeb (Google owned)
Photobucket
Fotki
Yahoo Photos

I historically use PBase and like it mostly because it was one of the first, feature set and price satisfy me and compared to others it has, IMO, a great community of mostly advanced photographers. But it has its ups and downs in terms of reliability.

Others swear by the Smugmug which, I should admit, looks sexier and jazzier than bland PBase. If you don't trust mom-and-pop operations like most of these sites then consider Google's PicasaWeb and Yahoo Photos.
01-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow... I am now happier than a pig knee'deep in ****. Turns out my dad already has a Pentax 28mm-80mm Macro lens from a while back... took some shots now in crappy light and they still looked fantastic... can't wait to shoot some macro in good lighting outside, woo-hoo!

Dad also has a Pentax 70mm-210mm lens which also takes fantastic shots... so my lens outla is going to be non-existant for a while, wahoo!

I'll get some pics uploaded to smugmug later... i'm just too busy shooting right now... this camera is amazing
01-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok here's a few photos i've taken with the Macro lense, only touched them up a wee bt with brightness/contrast in PS Elements SmugMug - Richdog : Macros

They look ok for quick-fire crappy shots?
01-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok last question before the thread fades into obscurity...

What is a good camera bag to use with this camera? I have been looking at the Tamron series here camera-shop.co.uk Tamrac Ballistic Series SLR Zoomster Camera Bags Tamrac Ballistic Series SLR Zoomster Camera Bags

Any reccommendations? What size would be ideal?
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

this is the kind i like.. carry the bag on yer shoulder and take the camera out when u want to use it..

plus a bigger bag to keep lenses and other stuff in.. which mostly i wouldnt carry..

hard to decide on the perfect set up thow.. its either too big and awkward or to small to get enough in..

trog