Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

A few questions for K10D owners...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First of all please let me say a resounding heloooooo to you all, this is my first post here and after much Googling of pentax/photography forums I washed ashore here.

Anyway, my old man has just ordered a Pentax K10D which is due to arrive in a few days, and I am absolutely ecstatic, this wll be my frst taste of DSLR and he also has a few really nice Pentax lenses from his SLR days that we can use.

I just have a few questions for you lucky K10D owners out there along the lines of...

1) What sort of battery life has a fully charged K10D battery got? How many pictures with/without flash? Is it worth trying to pick up a spare asap?

2) How large (approximately, in MB) are 10MP RAW images?

3) Is it OK to get one of the cheaper, non-premium 150x SD-CARDS duch as Transend etc? Any reccommendations?

4) Anything else I should know to prepare myself before I get it?

Thanks in advance, and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Rich.

12-31-2006, 04:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog Quote
First of all please let me say a resounding heloooooo to you all, this is my first post here and after much Googling of pentax/photography forums I washed ashore here.

Anyway, my old man has just ordered a Pentax K10D which is due to arrive in a few days, and I am absolutely ecstatic, this wll be my frst taste of DSLR and he also has a few really nice Pentax lenses from his SLR days that we can use.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the K10D.

I just have a few questions for you lucky K10D owners out there along the lines of...

1) What sort of battery life has a fully charged K10D battery got? How many pictures with/without flash? Is it worth trying to pick up a spare asap?
I don't know for certain. I've yet to drain one. I use the grip with a second battery. Pentax estimates 500 shots per charge with 50% flash use. From my own use, I would guess this is pretty accurate. By the way you can use NP400 or equivalent as replacement batteries.

2) How large (approximately, in MB) are 10MP RAW images?
I've been shooting DNG format until adobe can support the K10D PEF files. Files are about 16mb. PEF files are losslessly compressed and are about 10-12MB.

3) Is it OK to get one of the cheaper, non-premium 150x SD-CARDS duch as Transend etc? Any reccommendations?
I've been using Trancend 2GB 150X cards. They work very well.

Download the manual and read it prior to getting the camera. That way you can hit the ground running.

Thanks in advance, and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Rich.
Happy New Year to you also.

-Alan
12-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the K10D.
Hi Alan, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know for certain. I've yet to drain one. I use the grip with a second battery. Pentax estimates 500 shots per charge with 50% flash use. From my own use, I would guess this is pretty accurate. By the way you can use NP400 or equivalent as replacement batteries.
Hmm, been looking at those battery grips... quite pricey too at ~£165. Are they genuinely very useful, what are the major benefits?

QuoteQuote:
I've been shooting DNG format until adobe can support the K10D PEF files. Files are about 16mb. PEF files are losslessly compressed and are about 10-12MB.
So i'll be looking at about ~150 shots to a 2GB card.

QuoteQuote:
I've been using Trancend 2GB 150X cards. They work very well.
Just ordered these 2x Samsung OEM ones as a stop-gap... but they do have lifetime warranty so may be worth it eBay.co.uk: 150X 2GB OEM SAMSUNG SECURE DIGITAL SD CARD 2 GB IN UK (item 270073993209 end time 31-Dec-06 16:29:18 GMT)

QuoteQuote:
Download the manual and read it prior to getting the camera. That way you can hit the ground running.
Will do, thanks for the advice bud

Any other comments from anone else that have anything useful to add would be appreciated.

Rich.
12-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase!

Hi Alan, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Hmm, been looking at those battery grips... quite pricey too at ~£165. Are they genuinely very useful, what are the major benefits?
read this thread...bout the Grip..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1911-pentax-d-bg-1-a.html

for me it's useful, I got an extra batter (impact) which I bought from b and H here in the us for 20 USD. they have a higher MAH rating (1700, compared to 1650 on the pentax and 1400+I believe on the minolta). I think so far i've shot about 600 shots, and still shows full (tho only about 25% of that is flash)

QuoteQuote:

Any other comments from anone else that have anything useful to add would be appreciated.

Rich.
read up some of the threads we have here about the k10...so u can familiarize urself w/ it's tendencies....

12-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the K10D. Love mine. Just got the grip for Christmas. Wasn't sure I would like it (don't have large hands and usually like small cameras). I like this grip. Makes camera easier to hold. Also like extra set of controls. I would buy an extra battery for any camera that cost this much! At least you can keep shooting while the other is charging. Couldn't stand having a camera that can't shoot for 2-3 hours at a time. Extra battery, memo card and wireless remote stores in the grip. Only wish I could use wireless and 2 sec mirror lock up at the same time . Maybe a new position will arrive in firmware update.
thanks
barondla
12-31-2006, 08:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Congratulations on the K10D. Love mine. Just got the grip for Christmas. Wasn't sure I would like it (don't have large hands and usually like small cameras). I like this grip. Makes camera easier to hold. Also like extra set of controls. I would buy an extra battery for any camera that cost this much! At least you can keep shooting while the other is charging. Couldn't stand having a camera that can't shoot for 2-3 hours at a time. Extra battery, memo card and wireless remote stores in the grip. Only wish I could use wireless and 2 sec mirror lock up at the same time . Maybe a new position will arrive in firmware update.
thanks
barondla
Hi, barondla. The K10D does have mirror lockup with the remote. When you press the Function button, press up to get the drive modes, and select the last option "Remote Cont. (3s delay)"

The *ist DS also has the mirror lockup using the remote.
12-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yep..it has mirror lock up prior to actual shutter release.....
was using that yesterday w/ the remote

12-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase!

read this thread...bout the Grip..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1911-pentax-d-bg-1-a.html

for me it's useful, I got an extra batter (impact) which I bought from b and H here in the us for 20 USD. they have a higher MAH rating (1700, compared to 1650 on the pentax and 1400+I believe on the minolta). I think so far i've shot about 600 shots, and still shows full (tho only about 25% of that is flash)

read up some of the threads we have here about the k10...so u can familiarize urself w/ it's tendencies....
Will do mate, thanks for the advice.

Oh, and just out of interest what RAW converter software is everyone using?
12-31-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i use adobe cs2 for raw conversion (using Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 and shot w/ *.DNG)) ...

I think silky pix the new release has support for the K10 PEF. otherwise..the included software is....lacking
12-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am waiting for bible pro to come up the new version

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
i use adobe cs2 for raw conversion (using Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 and shot w/ *.DNG)) ...

I think silky pix the new release has support for the K10 PEF. otherwise..the included software is....lacking
Joele tried the new version and it still has problems with beta version for k10d raw file conversion.

Still eagerly waiting.
12-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I tried the Beta version of Bibble Pro for the K10d RAW files and am using it, but it puts a small black line along the bottom edge of all photos.. Has been reported and Eric is looking into it...

I think Silkypix works 100%, I just much prefer Bibble and am prepared to wait.. If you want to try the Bibble beta with K10d support (will get you 14 day trial) just check their forum for the link..

support.bibblelabs.com :: View topic - Bibblx Pro 4.9x(mas) posted for public testing.
01-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog:
Haven't a clue yet. Have shot somewhere between 500-600 shots or so and the battery isn't even thinking about being replaced yet. I picked up two Impact batteries from B&H, but haven't used them yet. Got the grip too, but haven't decided if I like having it or not.

Go ahead and pick up another battery . . . but you need not do it ASAP. You want a spare in case you are out and about and your primary battery runs out of juice. The K10D does not have the advantage of AA batteries, so a spare is critical when you need it.

p.s. I 'never' use the flash, so can't comment on that. With the Shake Reduction and high ISO capabilities of the Pentax cameras, I hardly ever have need for the flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog:
As suggested, download the manual and start reading. Not the same as having the camera with you so you can try out stuff, but it will give you a head start.

Congratulations, and Happy New Year to you too, Rich.
01-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow!

Jun Park and -=JoN=- , you just made my day. The K10D now has the one last thing I asked for. Mirror lock up with 3 second delay from the wireless remote. The ultimate for high magnification macro shooting. It gives a second longer ( sometimes the 2 sec isn't long enough for the tripod to settle down) too. Always loved the way my Olympus E300 allowed the mirror lock up time to be set.
Missed this feature because I thought it worked like my DS . My DS does not work this way. Just tried it. It waits 3 seconds with the mirror in viewing position! Not locked up. Don't have the newest firmware updates (both having to do with SDHC memo card). My firmware is ver 2.00. Did they change this later? Are you sure your DS will do this? Confused.
thanks
barondla
ps
picking up the DS for the first time in weeks I was amazed at how much smaller it is than the K10D with grip.
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I tried the Beta version of Bibble Pro for the K10d RAW files and am using it, but it puts a small black line along the bottom edge of all photos.. Has been reported and Eric is looking into it...

I think Silkypix works 100%, I just much prefer Bibble and am prepared to wait.. If you want to try the Bibble beta with K10d support (will get you 14 day trial) just check their forum for the link..

support.bibblelabs.com :: View topic - Bibblx Pro 4.9x(mas) posted for public testing.
Joele,

I've been using the bibble 4.9x also without any black line. I'm using DNG and it is the best program I've run into. I'll buy it as soon as it is no longer beta. Is the black line only in the PEF files?
Regards,
01-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Aghhhh my delivery was delayed and now i'm not receiving until... tommorrow! I was itching to get my grubby little mits on the baby tonight but alas... 'twas not to be *sobs*

By the way will this replacement NP-400 battery fit the Pentax K10D? eBay.co.uk: NP-400 Battery For Konica Minolta Dynax 5D Maxxum 5D (item 330068630922 end time 08-Jan-07 12:52:25 GMT)