Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
We started a family a few years ago and that got me thinking about going back into real photography.
That was also my impetus to move up from a point & shoot. The kids are only little once, so the pictures I'm getting now are well worth everything I've spent on the hobby.

07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
It didn't take long for me to realize I rather have nice lenses on relatively inexpensive cameras, and I've followed the pattern since then. The money I've spent on lenses hasn't bothered me, but I'm still not sure I've recovered from the shock of how much I spent on my K-5 when it was newly released! But I really like nearly every lens I have now, and it would be hard to leave Pentax because of this.
This is the only 'common thing' every one of the people in the know tell me... the money goes into the lenses...the good thing about Pentax is you can experiment at a relatively inexpensive price (relative to Canon, Nikon, etc)...I mean for a newbie you can get stuff off ebay that is a fraction of the cost of what you would pay otherwise...which is another thing I really liked about Pentax....

Just curious though... PM me with what lenses you are using... I am just curious... I have not ponied up to get any of the FA or DA lenses (yet)...but I am curious as to what you are shooting with.
07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm really enjoying the stories, keep 'em coming! It sounds like the most common story is that people were familiar with Pentax's old film cameras. I still haven't seen anybody mention seeing a Pentax advertisement that grabbed them.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that another factor that attracted me to Pentax is that it's something different. I liked how my Olympus DSLR was relatively unique amongst all the Canon and Nikon DSLRs out there, and that's another thing that helped convince me to take a chance with Pentax. Probably the same reason I rode a Triumph Daytona sportbike while everybody else I knew had a Japanese bike.

I'm sure this is a factor for many Pentaxians. It seems that with most every major product I purchase, I choose one that's less popular. Yet I really think it's better, and usually more economical as well. I believe I also find that discovering and using these products is more satisfying.

This is why you rarely ever hear someone on this forum talking about switching to a Canon system. It's always Nikon they think about. Canon has great lenses and cameras - in fact, they're usually the best choice for certain applications (like sports photography). But I think most Pentaxians see Nikon as still a little bit of an underdog, and they can't bring themselves to consider Canon.
07-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'm sure this is a factor for many Pentaxians. It seems that with most every major product I purchase, I choose one that's less popular. Yet I really think it's better, and usually more economical as well. I believe I also find that discovering and using these products is more satisfying.

This is why you rarely ever hear someone on this forum talking about switching to a Canon system. It's always Nikon they think about. Canon has great lenses and cameras - in fact, they're usually the best choice for certain applications (like sports photography). But I think most Pentaxians see Nikon as still a little bit of an underdog, and they can't bring themselves to consider Canon.
Plus no one wants to sell a kidney to be able to afford Canon stuff.

That being said using Pentax with the older lenses to me seems a lot more satisfying in a weird kind of a way.

07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
...the good thing about Pentax is you can experiment at a relatively inexpensive price (relative to Canon, Nikon, etc)...I mean for a newbie you can get stuff off ebay that is a fraction of the cost of what you would pay otherwise...which is another thing I really liked about Pentax....
I must agree with you. Although I only partly realized this when I got started with my K100D Super, it became a big factor.

If you want to see what lenses I have take a look at my profile by clicking on my name and selecting the 'About Me' tab. If you have any specific questions after that then PM me - I spent a lot of time trying various lenses until I got a collection I really like, and I have reasons for most of what I don't own as well.
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Plus no one wants to sell a kidney to be able to afford Canon stuff.
well said!

That being said using Pentax with the older lenses to me seems a lot more satisfying in a weird kind of a way.
Yes, I was just in Gettysburg for the re-enactment earlier this month. Somehow using the older K200/2.5 seems so much more appropriate in that setting - and it produces such beautiful images as well.
07-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a Pentax 6x7. I liked the in-body stabilizer and the ability to use legacy lenses.

07-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Had a film Olympus Pen years ago, wore it out. Had a couple of digital point and shoots, but didn't use them much. Couldn't do what I wanted with them.

One of our suppliers at work had a points promotion, and was able to get a Canon SX 20is. Had great fun with it. Not too bad IQ, light and handy. I learned lots from it, also learned that I wanted more. Bought a refurbished Olympus E420 with a 70-300mm zoom. Carried it around all the time and got some good shots with it. I started poking around for lenses, but the Oly lenses were pretty pricey. I figured I would get a fast lens with a better body. I considered the Olympus E-5, read the reviews. It was always a poor second to the Pentax K-5. Reading further, I found that you could acquire and use older lenses on the Pentax.

It's been downhill from there. I have learned an awful lot using the K-5. Very seldom is it a limitation for me. My technique or the lenses I use seem to be the limitation. The used market here is either a curse or a godsend, or both at the same time, allowing access to great lenses in great condition at a reasonable price.

A few accessories later, a good monopod, focus screen etc. I'm very happy. My fingers find and do what I am thinking when shooting, it is becoming, slowly, an appendage.

I love the feel. My K-5 is in the shop at this moment so I'm using my e-420. I'm remembering why I upgraded. A co worker has a canon EOS body, and he can't let go of my Pentax body, it feels so good.
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #24

I never really liked the point and shoot cameras. Wanted a camera with SLR stylings. I looked at bridge cameras, even looked at a Leica. HEAVY research, a trip to Best Buy, etc. More research, narrowed it down to 3 brands with similar features/specs. I found a K10d kit at a close out price of $399.99!!! Went to look at it, feel it, and try it. BOUGHT IT!! I never even questioned Pentax's quality during film days, so why would I now. One great decision, especially with all the very fine legacy glass around at easy on the wallet prices.

Last edited by jcamero; 07-23-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: adding 1 word
07-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many years ago, a friend recommended a Ricoh XR-P SLR in place of the equivalent but more expensive Pentax of the day. I proceeded to buy and use the Ricoh for quite a long time. About 5 years ago I bought a point and shoot digital which I found handy but not very satisfactory for a number of reasons. When time came to go for a DSLR I turned to Pentax mainly because of the "compatibility" with the K mount Ricoh lenses I had acquired over the years. Since I found magical things like auto focus, I rarely use the old Ricoh lenses. Interestingly I have had no problems with the dreaded "Ricoh pin" and only learned of it afterwards while searching the internet on lense compatibility and incidentally finding Pentax Forums in the process. None of the dealers ever mentioned the Ricoh pin issue even after I specifically told them of my Ricoh collection. They never mentioned that the Ricoh lenses would only work in manual mode either. I am more than happy with the K-7 and have not regretted my association with Ricoh/Pentax for a second.
07-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I was looking in the camera shop window in 1976 and they had a secondhand Spotmatic with the 1.4....
$375...the rest is history

Pete
07-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a Ricoh KR-10 in the late 70's, so had a few K-mount lenses which fell into disuse.

I finally bought a digital camera in 2004 (a Sony Cybershot with a HUGE Zeiss zoom lens). It took some great shots, but I became frustrated by shutter lag when trying to shoot sports (among other things).

So I went shopping for a DSLR in October 2007. After much consideration of various Canons and Nikons, the guy in the shop suggested the K10D after I mentioned my old lenses. I bought a Sigma 17-70 autofocus lens to go with it and, Boom! Hooked.

Never ended up shooting that legacy glass
07-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #28

I was given a Minolta SLR (film) for my 21st. After many years it was stolen, and replaced with a Pentax Z-50 (insurance claim - I had no say in the matter). Bought a cheap Sigma 70-300 lens. That camera was stolen and replaced with a Z-30 (which I still have). Looked to get a DSLR and compared the D60 / 350D to the K200D (factoring in I had a cheap 70-300 and a kit 28-70 lens with Pentax). I decided that, even if I were to discount the lenses I had, I would still get the Pentax as it felt better in my hands, had IBS and was weather resistant. No regret at all. The decision was very deliberate and well considered.

The irony is that my daughter bought a K200d, borrowed my 28-70 and I gave her my Sigma 70-300 and she had the lot stolen (yes, we do have a lot of theft in our part of the world, but this story does stretch back some 30 years). As it is very difficult to get Pentax here and she intends to be a professional photog, she now has a D90. It took her an age to get to love the camera.

I now have the K5 and my wife has the K200.
07-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Great stories everyone!

I researched everything I could about interchangeable lens cameras for over a year starting in 2009. My brother shoots Canon and a couple of my friends had Rebels so I looked their first. I also looked at Nikon and all the others: Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony. Never did take a good look at Pentax though; I didn't realize they were making DSLRs. All of the camera's I tried out in my local camera stores, except the then new D7000, were really uninspiring. At the time, I was expecting to move to the South Pacific so really wanted a weather sealed camera and lens set up for protection from the extreme humidity. I couldn't afford a 7D and the D7000 only has pseudo weather sealing. My seemingly never ending research eventually led me to Pentax with the K-5, the K-5 was very new at the time, and their DA* lenses. The K-5 was getting rave reviews and when I realized that the DA* f/2.8 zooms actually sold for much less then their MSRP and than the C&N weather sealed options, I began to seriously consider going with Pentax. More research led me to this forum and after lurking here a while, seeing all the great pics and wealth of knowledge, I was sold. I waited for the price to come down a ways and then ordered a K-5 along with the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135. My plans to go to the South Pacific fell through but I'm happy to have the weather sealing anyway. It wasn't too many months before LBA took hold and I got a Limited prime kit consisting of the DA15, FA31, and FA77. My credit card company would like to give a big thank you to the DA15 Controls My Mind Club and the FA Limited Club for your contribution to their bottom line! I guess I can say thanks too for convincing me to get a prime kit. I'm very happy with my camera and lenses. Their relatively small, well built, and deliver excellent image quality. While I didn't care much about not having an upgrade path to 135 full frame at the time of my original buy in to Pentax, photography has become more and more important to me (and my wife) and has even lead to being an occasional source of income. This being the case, along with me being super impressed with the FA Limiteds I have, I am now quite eager for Pentax to enter the FF market with a killer camera! The ergonomics of Pentax DSLRs as well as feel, size, and build of their Limited lenses just can't be beat! Not to mention the great IQ I can get from my Pentax kit. My wife needs her own DSLR now so I am anxiously waiting to see what Pentax comes out with next. I'll probably pass the K-5 over to her if I am impressed by the top tier DSLR that Pentax releases.
07-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Here goes. A year and a bit ago, I was in the market for a camera. I was looking for a simple p&s that wasn't a p.o.s., maybe a Sony or something, around the £150 mark. I found a review site (Trusted Reviews - The Latest Technology News and Reviews) and they had a review of the Olympus E-PL1, the bottom-end m4/3 model, and gave it much praise and 9/10. Olympus was a name that I remembered from the days of the Trip 35 and I could get it for £275. I figured twice what I was looking to pay for something a whole lot nicer than what I was contemplating was a pretty good deal so I bought it. For four months, I only used in iAuto mode and was extremely pleased with the results. But when I wanted to go beyond iAuto, the limitations of the controls made themselves manifest: simple things, like changing aperture in aperture priority mode, required multiple button pushes and was very error prone.

So, now I was in the market for something with better controls. What I wanted: high-res screen, at least one control dial for changing settings, an auto-assist lamp and a reasonable selection of glass that I could aspire to. The camera I wanted to buy was the Olympus E-P3 (I like Olympus cameras but not Panasonic ones) but I wasn't ready to lay down £650 on a camera (how times change! And quickly!).

Back to research. I seriously considered a Samsung NX, but I found that I could get a Pentax K-r, which ticked all my boxes, for £349. I was a little wary: I didn't want something that was enormous or that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to use. Nevertheless, Pentax was a name that I associated with photography (unlike Samsung), so I forked out for one. Good purchase. It was surprisingly easy to use. And although it felt like a brick in my hand at first, I grew used to it.

Are we ever satisfied with what we've got? Possibly not. I found myself wanting a K-5. Better controls, better build, almost twice the cost! A couple of things about the K-r irked me: the wealth of scene modes that I never used on the mode dial, features that were unavailable unless I repurposed the green button and the delete button that also popped up the flash (note to Pentax: stop multipurposing the delete button: it's bloody annoying to do something else when you want to delete a photograph) so when I came into a bit of money, I splurged.

So now I am a pleased owner of a K-5.

I still find myself thinking about other brands. If I thought that the Olympus E-series had a real future, I'd be quite tempted because I reckon I'd have a complete setup with only three lenses. I briefly contemplated a Sony A-77 with their 16-50. But only briefly. Before I bought the K-5, I might have jumped ship to a Nikon D300. Never been tempted by a Canon.