Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In 2008 i was looking to trade in my Panasonic DMC FZ-8 for a DSLR and since I'd always dealt with my local Henry's branch, naturally that's where I went.

We looked at many DSLR's, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax. I didn't like the 'plasticy' feel of the Canons I could afford, and I believe those models didn't have a top LCD. The viewfinder numbers also seemed small. The sales person wasn't too enamoured of Nikon so we didn't look too far at them, I believe the Olympus also had a 'small' viewfinder and we looked at Pentax. The sales guy did mention that it wasn't as popular as many others but that it was weather resistant (K200) and it had a larger viewfinder and larger numbers as well as the top LCD which I'd liked from my old Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 7000i SLR. He also mentioned that it would work with many old lenses so since I didn't have any real preconceptions, I went with that.

Traded up just within one year to the K20 and then last year to the K-5. With some irritations I'm still happy with it. I prefer the Nikon flash system for controlling remote flashes and of course the availability of Canon & Nikon lenses for rental is very nice compared to nothing for Pentax. Other than that, I have no regrets in my choice. I do like the option of being able to meter ANYTHING that you put on as a lens and being able to use some of my old Chinon lenses which very nicely used the K mount.

08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #77
Forum Member

bought myself a Pentax MX with 50mm 1.7 lens in the 70's. a pentax user since then. that lens is still being used on my pentax dslr.
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
When I decide to get a DSLR, I want one with AA batteries. The only camera with AA batteries is K200D.
Two of my friends who use Pentax DSLRs also told me that Pentax lenses are the 'cheapest' / 'best bang for bucks', so I was sold on.

Waited and searched for the best price available, I bought a K200D w/ 18-55 for $550.
While the 'cheapest lenses' promise is now gone, I am still with Pentax, hoping to see a kickass FF DSLR from Pentax.
For the quality almost any pre F lens is still best bang for the buck, but they have really crept up, but deals can still be had.
new lenses the DA50 and DA35 still represent excellent value though they aren't necessarily as cheap as some others
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #79

I was already using Pentax 35mm film SLRs such as the MX (sorely missed), ME-Super (missed too), ZX-5n (stolen!), KX (made like an object of art) and LX ("Tank Camera") when I noticed that Pentax was not building any more 35mm film cameras. So, after lenghthly research when I found out that Pentax was still going to keep compatibility with even my old auto-focus Pentax FA F and manual focus A lenses, I purchased the K10D. My experience has been mostly positive with it, although I'm planning to research more the focus calibration issue. I have even used manual focus Pentax M series lenses with it with generally good results. Folks, don't get rid of any Pentax K mount lenses you have until you have tried them with a K10D or any other Pentax DSLR that allows use of aperture control with the hidden special function.
And, Pentax PR folks, if you are reading this, please partner with some professional sports photogrpahers that use Pentax DSLRs (I believe there have to be some) to promote the brand on important sport events, specially the bad / extreme weather ones. After all, why the CaNIKON tribes have to be the only ones to have all the promotions?

08-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #80

I was already using Pentax 35mm film SLRs such as the MX (sorely missed), ME-Super (missed too), ZX-5n (stolen!), KX (made like an object of art) and LX ("Tank Camera") when I noticed that Pentax was not building any more 35mm film cameras. So, after lenghthly research when I found out that Pentax was still going to keep compatibility with even my old auto-focus Pentax FA F and manual focus A lenses, I purchased the K10D. My experience has been mostly positive with it, although I'm planning to research more the focus calibration issue. I have even used manual focus Pentax M series lenses with it with generally good results. Folks, don't get rid of any Pentax K mount lenses you have until you have tried them with a K10D or any other Pentax DSLR that allows use of aperture control with the hidden special function.
And, Pentax PR folks, if you are reading this, please partner with some professional sports photogrpahers that use Pentax DSLRs (I believe there have to be some) to promote the brand on important sport events, specially the bad / extreme weather ones. After all, why the CaNIKON tribes have to be the only ones to have all the promotions?
08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #81
Pentaxian

When I started looking for a DSLR I was looking mainly at Pentax and Minolta, since I had lenses for both already. I checked out Canon and Nikon, cameras were more expensive and lens prices made me run for cover. After a bit of looking around I found out Minolta had sold their camera operations and gone to office machines, and I had more lenses for Pentax anyway so that left one choice...the K-x was less expensive than either of the entry level canon or nikon offerings, the reviews said it was the best entry level DSLR going, it uses AA batteries instead of the very expensive proprietary ones, and was supposed to do very well at high ISO. And lens options were amazing...

Pretty much a no-brainer at that point...and I've been very satisfied with my K-x.

The battery issue and looking at my shots pretty much convinced a friend who is a Nikon guy his next camera will most likely be a Pentax. He's not tied down to loads of expensive lenses, so it won't be too painful, and he was very impressed by the pictures the K-x gets and lens options. And jealous as hell when his battery ran down and he was through for the day, while I just grabbed another set of rechargeable AA batteries and kept on shooting...
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #82

Began in the early 1980s with Pentax MX film SLR cameras which I still use. Nothing in the Pentax inventory could match the Nikon F2AS and its lenses but getting 85% of the performance at 60% of the price was decisive for me. Besides, I needed a 400mm system lens which only Pentax had at an affordable price. Acquired several lenses in addition to the 400mm. It would have been foolish to buy into another system with so many usable lenses. I don't say I am entirely happy with how Pentax set up its DSLR system to work with its legacy lenses but they will do for the present. If they manage to sell the f5.6 560mm at an affordable price, I am in. I dislike DSLR viewfinders in general, not only Pentax. They are so stingy with detail.
Chhayanat
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #83

I started taking photos as a kid, with an old, cheap medium format viewfinder camera. It served me well, but I was very happy when my parents upgraded it with a 35mm viewfinder as a Christmas present. It was a Beroquick KB 135, made in Eastern Germany. I really enjoyed photography, so I was drooling about some SLR, but my parents could not afford to buy me one. So I was just looking at all those wonderful cameras of the time. I changed my favorite from time to time, but the cameras standing out were the Olympus OM-10, the Canon AE-1 program and the Ricoh KR-10 super.

As a student, my best friend was shooting with a Revue SLR, which was the brand name of a large German mail order company. I really liked the quality of the pictures, so when I found a used Revue SLR similar to his at a shop, I scrapped my money together to buy it. It was much cheaper than the other used, comparable SLRs, which were cheap anyway because of the move to auto focus.

Later I found out that my Revue was actually a re-badged Chinon CE-4s. Consistently, the Revue bodies were sold at 50% to 70% the price of the same body featuring the Chinon brand - go figure. I acquired some lenses over time, mostly primes, and got another Revue-branded Chinon body later. Both bodies were of very good quality, in particular the outstanding CE-4s did take a lot of beating and never let me down.

When Pentax announced their first digital SLRs, I got interested since this made it possible to bring my K-mount glass with me instead of starting from scratch. I followed what was happening, but it took some time before I was finally ready to make the move. I was looking at other brands as well, since I doubted how much use my old fully manual lenses would get, in particular Nikon and Canon. But I did not like how the consumer Canons felt in my hand, and the Nikon lineup was too expensive.

I was getting ready to buy the K100D, but then the K20D came out, and retail prices for the K10D fell into a region close to what I was prepared to pay for the K100D. It was still considerably more than what I really wanted to pay, but the first time I held the K10D in my hand, it just felt right. The ergonomics were perfect for me.

So what brought me to a Pentax dSLR in the end was that I could not afford my dream cameras of my teenage years, ending up with a cheap, but fantastic K-mount compatible SLR as a student, trying to keep compatible with my old glass, and falling in love with the K10D at first contact.

09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #84

I had a canon point and shoot camera, and when i decided to buy a dslr I bought my pentax K-m for several reasons: price (430 € new with kit lens), construction and the quality of pentax manual lenses, a great opportunity of having a good lens without spending a big amount of money.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
09-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #85

Had a Nikon d40x that was randomly selling for more than what I had paid for it so I put it up for sale to get something new. At the time It came to Nikon d3000, d5000, Canon T2i and the Pentax K-x. From what I could find online the K-x was the best bang for the buck so I got it. That turned into a K-r... which turned into a K-5 Now I am stuck and wondering if I should jump ship. Recent price hikes are making it harder for me to expand my lens collection but I'll loose money if I move to another system.... Aw who am I kidding, I'll probably stick it out with Pentax. Besides... I love PF!
09-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #86

Photo Arts students at Ryerson in Toronto during the 1970s all had Pentax cameras. They were sold in the campus bookstore and probably were required by some profs. Not sure what my first one was, but recently I came across the receipt for a MEF (can't remember the year - probably early 80s). The camera is long gone, but the lenses are still in my bag.
09-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Photo Arts students at Ryerson in Toronto during the 1970s all had Pentax cameras. They were sold in the campus bookstore and probably were required by some profs. Not sure what my first one was, but recently I came across the receipt for a MEF (can't remember the year - probably early 80s). The camera is long gone, but the lenses are still in my bag.
Well, the ME F was introduced in 1981 and was only sold for a year or two, so it couldn't have been later than 83 or 84.
09-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #88

A fairly new Pentax user here (it arrived yesterday!). Have been with Canon for 5-6 years but I found the 5D2 was just a bit...well, overkill for my needs really. So I had a few months with a Sony NEX 5n (which I still love) but went looking for a better sensor (for dynamic range) and lo-and-behold I find that the K-5 has one of the best sensors around (I cant afford the D800E). So far the claims are holding true, the detail i can pull out of the shadows in incredible. I would never dream of doing anything like this with a Canon (I havent tried the latest breed mind).
09-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #89

Bought a PENTAX SFX with a Sigma 35-80 and PENTAX F 70-200 both autofocus in 1977 mainly because of autofocus and bayonet lens attachment.Pentax was BIG back then.
When that camera died bought PENTAX MZ 50 with PENTAX F smc 35-80
When that one died it was time for digital PENTAX K10D with DA 18-55 smc
Have just added a second hand PENTAX K-X.
Only non pentax camera owned is an Olympus Mju waterproof (PENTAX didn't have water proof camera at the time.)
Have stayed with Pentax ;erginomics of cameras,being able to buy cheaply and use legacy lenses
09-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Having had an SPII for a while I knew that I was likely to pick a Pentax DSLR when it came time. I looked at various other cameras, even a Nikon or two, but when it came down to it I had my eye on a K-x. I was saving up, figuring I'd buy one eventually but then I found an *ist on CL for $50 with a 28-200 Tamron lens for another $50 and I went for it. It had on board flash issues when I bought it and it didn't last me long. It just died one day but it was a great intro to Pentax DSLR's nonetheless. I got my K-x not too soon after the *ist died and I've been happily snapping with it ever since. I'm ready for a bit of an upgrade. I want a K-30 because I've gone pro and I could use a bit more camera for some things but I still love my K-x and won't be giving it up even when there's a K-30 in the house.