Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Replacing k-x with k-r? Differences?

So, my house was broken into last week, and my camera and lenses were stolen (as well as a laptop ... ) My question is, I had a K-x with a Pentax 50mm 1.4 .. My insurance company suppliers cannot get a Pentax 50mm 1.4, but are instead replacing it with a Sigma 50mm 1.4. Also, the are replacing the k-x with a k-r. Could anyone who has perhaps owned both explain to me the differences they found between them? Thanks!

07-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r is a direct upgrade to the K-x, so everything is a little bit better, one could say, Check out our review for a breakdown:
Pentax K-r Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

You can also see the specs side-by-side here. I threw the new K-30 in just so you can see what the latest model boasts (though it's a slightly higher-end model).
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-30 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #3

Is it in anyway possible for you to add a little bit of cash for them to give you a K5? think about it, k-x getting stolen may just be a blessing in disguise...
07-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The FA 50 1.4 is still available new here in the UK, which I appreciate isn't Oz, but nonetheless I would have thought they'd have been available there somewhere? In any event, the new 50 1.8 is shipping.

Agree with the suggestion that the K-5 or K-30 would be better than a K-r if you could make up the difference on the basis that although available the K-r is obsolete.

07-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry about the breakin. Welcome Aboard. The FA50/1.4 is still available for purchase in the US from Amazon and other sellers. The Sigma is much larger and heavier and many comment on it in comparison. I have owned both the K-x and K-r. The big difference in use of the K-r over the K-x is that the K-r has little red dots that appear in the viewfinder that show where it is focusing, which can be very helpful. The body is pretty much the same and the features are a slight upgrade from the K-x with notable increases in ISO performance and frames per second shooting.
07-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for that Adam, will have a read through!

I was planning, before I got broken into, to upgrade to a k-5 soon, with money I have saved, but now I have to use this to pay an excess of $500 on the claim I had only just got the 50mm as an early b-day present off my dad, not even 2 months prior .. I was considering selling the k-r kit new to fund a k-5.
07-24-2012, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The K-r is a great camera and a definite step up despite being discontinued already.

I believe they are just trying to stooge you in terms of the lens (or maybe they don't know they difference.) The FA 50mm 1.4 is better than the Sigma, but more importantly it costs more, so if you had you gear insured to a set value then they are required to replace the item to said value. If they continue to claim they can't find it, tell them www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au and don't let them push you around =)

07-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
The K-r is a great camera and a definite step up despite being discontinued already.

I believe they are just trying to stooge you in terms of the lens (or maybe they don't know they difference.) The FA 50mm 1.4 is better than the Sigma, but more importantly it costs more, so if you had you gear insured to a set value then they are required to replace the item to said value. If they continue to claim they can't find it, tell them www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au and don't let them push you around =)
Good for you! +1 for that resource.
07-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
They told me that they can only get products from their supplier (jb hifi) .. I have already ok'd the order so it's too late to change anything now ... I've never had to make a claim before .. It took a while for them to understand what I had claimed. I said the 2 lenses were a 18-55mm lens that came with the pentax k-x in a kit and a 50mm 1.4 (I had photos of receipts and packaging so I didn't think I needed to go more into detail) and when she read back the list she said "and the 50mm to 1.4mm lens" .. lol .. Although the lens was purchased overseas for about $450, so perhaps they are just price matching from their Aussie suppliers as I saw the same lens retailing locally for $798 before we bought the one online.

I hope whoever stole it is having fun with it. They scaled a 2m wall to get into the window! Makes me angry :/ .. Not to mention my memory card in my camera full of my kids photos
07-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would take the Sigma 50mm 1.4 over the Pentax 50mm 1.4 any day. I'm a huge fan of Sigma lenses, and have been impressed with the ones I own.

The way I see it, the Pentax 50mm has the advantage of being small. But the Sigma has better image quality, especially wide open, has silent HSM autofocus, and it comes with a lens hood, which the Pentax lacks. I also think the Sigma looks way cooler on the camera, whereas the Pentax looks like it is straight out of the 80's. And the fact that Sigma has a much better warranty doesn't hurt either (at least in US, 4-years vs 1-year).

The Sigma also has a much higher used resale value than the Pentax. The Pentax 50mm goes for about $230 used on eBay, whereas the Sigma will go for close to $400.

As far as the cameras, I would take the K-x over the K-r, mostly because I think the K-x looks cool, while the K-r looks slightly awkward to me. The K-x has a smoother, more windswept design, while the K-r is a bit more blocky and angular, and is pointy on top. I also love the chrome accent that runs around the top of the K-x. And I always use the center focal point anyway, so the lack of focus indicators in the K-x viewfinder means nothing to me. I also like how the K-x doesn't require an adapter to us AA batteries.

But if I were you, and they wouldn't give me cash to buy a new camera, I'd take the K-r, and then resell it before even opening the box, and use the money to purchase a K-30. I just sold my beloved white K-x to purchase a K-30. I sold it with the 18-55mm lens for $390 (netted $350 after fees/shipping), and ordered my white K-30 18-55mm kit from Singapore for $750 shipped.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-24-2012 at 08:25 AM.
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good point on the K-r, if you want to continue to use AA batteries you'll need to order an adapter. I got one on eBay for $12+ shipping a year or so ago. They should still be available as they are now used in the new K-30 as well.
07-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I believe they are just trying to stooge you in terms of the lens (or maybe they don't know they difference.) The FA 50mm 1.4 is better than the Sigma
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I would take the Sigma 50mm 1.4 over the Pentax 50mm 1.4 any day. I'm a huge fan of Sigma lenses, and have been impressed with the ones I own.
Ya, absolutely @Edgar_in_Indy - why the "The FA 50mm 1.4 is better than the Sigma" note @Louicio ? The Sigma outperforms the FA50 almost across the entire range except at f/4 where the FA50 has a slight edge [this according to lenstip], other than that the Sigma has the performance advantage - also to boot the Sigma is complete with HSM and it is an EX lens so it gets all of the additional pro grade warranty perks from Sigma...

@sarahparish91 - as others have noted, sorry that you are going through this, things like this are just such bummers! FWIW, the Kr is a great little camera and if you enjoyed the Kx you will enjoy the Kr a little more...
07-24-2012, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Sigma has the performance advantage - also to boot the Sigma is complete with HSM and it is an EX lens so it gets all of the additional pro grade warranty perks from Sigma...
Plus, the huge front element on the Sigma will impress your friends and confuse your enemies.
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

The front element is indeed huge and impressive. Mine seems to have become a magnet for lots of small scratches though :|
No doubt thanks to non-photographer friends who have handled my camera before, sigh.

I have that sigma for my Canon 5D though. And even with that setup, the lens outweighs my 5D with a L-plate attached lol...
My friend mounted it to her T1i (almost same size as K-r) and that setup looked intimidating haha.

It was harder to hold the T1i though since the balance was so far off. Hope you have good arm strength XD
07-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There's always eBay if she wants something a little less...bazooka.