Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #1

Setting K-x using Bulb and max 9 exposures help

Hello all this is my first post on this forum I am new to the dslr scene and have been slowly learning things about my K-x camera,
I am trying to produce a star trail and have played with the bulb setting however I have only produced one using one long exposure, and noise is present, I know stacking is a better option to reduce noise, but have not worked out how to set it to bulb and have the camera take 30sec exposures for the maximum 9 shots and just continue to do this till I have enough to put together to stack. I have a Pentax remote which works great for taking photos without touching the camera and tripod. Can someone help please.

07-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #2

Original Poster
76 views and not one reply can anyone help
07-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you want 30s exposure with multiexpsosure then it probably easier to use manual mode with exposure set to 30s.
I'm not even sure if multiexposure work in bulb mode.
07-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't believe it would be possible. Bulb mode do not have a time limit, you control the time of every shot by pressing the shutter release button and holding it for as long as you want, or if using a remote, pressing it when you want to start the shot, and pressing it again when you want to end it. If you want to have 30 sec multi-exposure shots, why not use it with the 30 sec exposure time, why do you want to use Bulb? I haven't tried it myself, but that is what I understand from reading the manual.

07-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one of the problems with entry level cameras and just not Pentax, where they only have IR support and no wired remote support. What you are looking for is what is referred to as an Intervalometer. They are built into wired remotes, and usually not IR remotes. Here is a thread on how to combine a IR remote with a wired remote (Intervalometer)Here is another solution...

07-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanx guys appreciate the replys
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Set camera to manual. 30 seconds and an aperture that won't over expose. Turn off dark frame subtraction. Set shutter to continuous. Stretch a thick rubber band from the bottom of the cam over the grip and over the shutter button. Jam something under the rubber band to start the shutter. The cam will take pictures until you remove object, the battery dies, or the card fills. Use stacking software. Works great.
07-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
Bratt I checked out my menu and could not find the dark frame subtraction, I have a K-x not sure if it may be called something else any sugestions.

07-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #9

Sorry, I also have a K-x. Turn off slow shutter speed noise reduction. This is the same as dark frame subtraction. It takes a duplicate length picture with the shutter closed. Then subtracts the noise from the picture you want. This will cause 30 second gaps in your star trails. 30 seconds is the longest exposure Pentax allows DFS to be turned off.

Also turn off AF, instant review, shake reduction for assorted reasons. You dont want focus to be changing during the series. Instant review causes a slight pause and hurts battery life. Shake reduction needs to be off on a tripod. The camera thinks you are hand holding with the rubber band trick.

Watch out for dew(or frost) forming on your lens during a long series. Hate to have my nicely focused stars turn to blobs at the end.