Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info . The K5 seems like a great deal but I just did not want to shell $ out for so called older tech. Waiting for some member reviews on the K30 to see if it stacks up to the K5. Same price point seems to complicate the choice. Great forum and thanks for the nice welcome.

07-28-2012, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
The K5 seems like a great deal but I just did not want to shell $ out for so called older tech
Really?? You think the images are going to be wanting?? In what way? I don't mean this in any hard manner, but I am in a simmilar situation. I have, in fact, an *ist DS, bought new in 2004. I have found that my limitations are related to my skills (only use MF lenses) rather than the camera. My personal goal is to shoot images that need little or no processing (I don't own any such software, but need to learn that too). This may be because I choose to teach myself skills, and not rely on software to make up the difference (agreed... sometimes you absolutely need corrections by software).

I too am struggling between K5 and K30. The new focus peaking is "peaking" my curiosity, though. I think it will be a HUGE advantage since I use MF lenses only.

Soliciting additional thoughts here....
07-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
Really?? You think the images are going to be wanting?? In what way? I don't mean this in any hard manner, but I am in a simmilar situation. I have, in fact, an *ist DS, bought new in 2004. I have found that my limitations are related to my skills (only use MF lenses) rather than the camera. My personal goal is to shoot images that need little or no processing (I don't own any such software, but need to learn that too). This may be because I choose to teach myself skills, and not rely on software to make up the difference (agreed... sometimes you absolutely need corrections by software).

I too am struggling between K5 and K30. The new focus peaking is "peaking" my curiosity, though. I think it will be a HUGE advantage since I use MF lenses only.

Soliciting additional thoughts here....
If you do MF lenses exclusively than you probably will do better with the focus peaking. The new K-5 replacement in September may incorporate that as well but will be significantly more expensive then either the K-01 or K-30 that have the feature already.
07-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you do MF lenses exclusively than you probably will do better with the focus peaking. The new K-5 replacement in September may incorporate that as well but will be significantly more expensive then either the K-01 or K-30 that have the feature already.
Kind of what I was thinking. Unfortunately, other expenses seem to take priority now. It porbably gives me some time to sell some lenses, The kit with 18-135 seems to be quite an atttractive solution for walk around feasability with 1 lens.

07-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
Kind of what I was thinking. Unfortunately, other expenses seem to take priority now. It porbably gives me some time to sell some lenses, The kit with 18-135 seems to be quite an atttractive solution for walk around feasability with 1 lens.
Yes, the 18-135 is a very nice walkabout lens for a WR camera. I just did the same thing - had a few dollars set aside, sold off 6 lenses, and bought my Tamron 70-200. Good luck.
07-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #21

Original Poster
Sorry , did not want to seem like a tech snob . I am also an old film shooter who tries to get the " shot right " . I have a number of manual focus lenses and the focus peak and upgraded auto focus might suit me better than the K5 . And of course with one child in college and one senior in HS budget is always a concern ! I am just an advanced hobbyist and am looking for an upgrade from my K2000 . Seems like the K2000 misses some exposures and the on camera flash is very dissapointing even for basic family function scrap book shots . I was also thinking about the 18-135 as an all purpose lens for travel .
Thanks for the input !
07-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The K5 seems like a great deal but I just did not want to shell $ out for so called older tech. Waiting for some member reviews on the K30 to see if it stacks up to the K5. Same price point seems to complicate the choice. Great forum and thanks for the nice welcome.
My situation is similar, Jeff. My vote is to wait a little; Photokina (Sept.?) may provide some clarity; and it will take a few months for the K-30 reviews to compile a more thorough data set. Since you already have something, and since the wait time is not long, now, that would be my input. The problem with waiting is that there is always going to be something new coming up just over the horizon, so at some point, you eventually have to jump in.

I've thought a little about "old" technology. I believe that many parts of the K-5 are still at a level commensurate with "current" technology. I would not fear "older" technology in any camera; I would look at its capability and see if that works for you. If it does, you can get a great value and have a wonderful time shooting. At some point, the technology matures to the point that newer developments may not offer any more substantial benefits, so the "old" may not offer much of a disadvantage. As a case in point, for APS C sensors, it appears the DxOMark sensor scores for APS C sensors appears to have "topped" out at about 80 now (plus/minus a few are of no real consequence). There are more APS C sensors cameras now hitting near the 80 mark, but none really advancing much further than that. Prior to the k-5 and D7000 hitting near 80, the leaders were the k-x and D90 at about 72, and prior to that a number of cameras were in the mid-60's (k-10, k-20, but also many others). So you can see that APS C sensors made several leaps in development from about 2007/8 to late 2010, but DxOMark scores have not increased since then. It is true that there may be several OTHER camera developmental improvements, but the APS C sensors appear to be very similar in capability now as what they were two years ago. Thanks. Glenn
07-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Welcome, there is a lot of good advice here, I was also on this forum a few months before buying my K20D in 2009, the K7 had just come out and was at a higher price than I could afford, but the K20 had all of the features and specs I wanted anyway. It has been a great camera but I have decided to step up to a K30. The K20 was the flagship when it was new, and the K30 is a midrange, although it appears a huge step up from the K20. The K5 and K30 are both excellent with some differences. For myself the K30 wins out, but you have to look at your own wants and needs, either will will be a huge upgrade. I have a K30 DA18-135 on the way, for me is was improvements in AF, the focus peaking for MF lenses, and the processing engine, but face it either one is a big step up. I wasn't concerned about what comes next, I would rather be able to afford lenses, and I don't have full frame envy. Just look at your needs and funds, make a decision and don't look back.

07-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #24

Original Poster
I jumped in and ordered a K30 with the 18-135 wr from Singapore which saved 200.00 usd . So I figured it would be the right camera for my needs and the price savings would offset any local price drops . Hopefully any bugs can be corrected by firmware updates .
07-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I jumped in and ordered a K30 with the 18-135 wr from Singapore which saved 200.00 usd . So I figured it would be the right camera for my needs and the price savings would offset any local price drops . Hopefully any bugs can be corrected by firmware updates .
Congratulations, keep us informed on its progress.
07-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
[*]Wired Remote - a personal preference.
The K-30 has a port for wired remote.
07-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The K-30 has a port for wired remote.
Thanks Dan for the correction. I picked up my K5 in January and really have no need for another body. I guess I did not look close enough on the K30's features. The IR only on the entry level bodies has tied several folks in knots trying to do stuff that the IR remotes just do not support.

07-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Well you'r still walking around with a K-m, so any off the options are a good step forward. I would vote for the K-30 for you, but a K-5 is also okay.

Don't wait to long for then next upgrade
07-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new camera. Enjoy!
08-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #30

Photos: Albums
I'd vote for K-30 for upgrade now. For big range zoom, there are not many choices. So you just need to upgrade your camera bodies.

Enjoy!