Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade now?

Hello ,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. My question , is this a good time to upgrade from my Km/K2000 or should I wait and see what shakes out over the next few months ? I currently own the 2 kit lenses 18-55dal and the 55-300dal and some older very highly rated manual focus lenses according to the members reviews. The 200 f2.5 and the 35-105 f3.5 to name a couple . My concern is that the new k-30 is a " bridge " model and not a flagship model for the next few years . And if Pentax comes out with a ff model not sure that I want to pony up 2500+ for my hobby with 2 kids in college lol . All said and done the K30 with the 18-135 wr looks like a nice all around travel camera .

Thanks
jeffw

07-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are several options right now and more will likely appear at the Photokina tradeshow in September.

Welcome Aboard!

Right now you have the K-5 which is still an excellent camera with amazing dynamic range and is a full featured camera for $800-900 new. The K-30 you mentioned is a mid-range camera with nearly all the features of the K-5 (minus 14 bit and magnesium body to name 2) including weather resistance and apparently has very good auto focus. Both are cropped sensors. There are persistent rumors of a full frame in September but Pentax has said no many times. It is likely that both an entry-level replacement for the K-r and a top of the line Prosumer replacement for the K-5 will be announced/released at Photokina. All these new cameras also makes the used market all that much more attractive.
07-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi. I'd say that the K-30 is a worthy upgrade to your K-m. It is not a "bridge" model, it is entry level, as your K-m, but due to advances in technology, it is a much better one, at both handling and image quality. You will get live view, best Pentax video so far, weather sealing and a great sensor.
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

If your heart is set on full frame you'll just have to wait or go with another brand.

I love the feature set of the K30, but with the K5 almost the same price I would have to recommend that route. The K5 would be a major upgrade and you can get a good price break on the excellent 18-135mm WR lens DCWRM mentioned if you get it in a bundle with the K5.

FWIW, I agree with DCWRM, the K30 is a mid-range model. Yes, it has an auto mode, but it also has 2 definable user modes, which is not a feature you see on entry level DLSRs. I expect a new entry level body will be introduced at Photokina.

07-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
The K5 at current price seems to be a great deal . It seems to me that the K30 is much more then an entry level camera . I am just looking to take advantage of all my old lenses with some more features than my current camera . Dont get me wrong I have been pleasantly suprised at some of the wonderful images that I have taken with my K2000 but being a former LX shooter just getting back into photography and still trying to adapt to digital I am looking for more. Us old film shooters still try to compose and get the shot right rather than just fire off and compensate later . Just something I have to adapt to . Great site , lots of info on my old lenses . Thanks for the welcome !
07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
The K5 at current price seems to be a great deal . It seems to me that the K30 is much more then an entry level camera . I am just looking to take advantage of all my old lenses with some more features than my current camera . Dont get me wrong I have been pleasantly suprised at some of the wonderful images that I have taken with my K2000 but being a former LX shooter just getting back into photography and still trying to adapt to digital I am looking for more. Us old film shooters still try to compose and get the shot right rather than just fire off and compensate later . Just something I have to adapt to . Great site , lots of info on my old lenses . Thanks for the welcome !
I moved to dSLRs with the K-x about 2 years ago. I still have the K-x and have an 18-250 on it for general shooting and a light kit. I got the K-5 at Thanksgiving time because it dropped <$1k and was a screaming deal and I wanted the water resistance plus a few other things. The family got me the 18-135 for Christmas and the two have been my go-to kit for it (along with the D-BG4 battery grip) ever since. The K-5 is definitely a lot of camera and while the K-30 is nice I still think the K-5 is a better choice when they are functionally the same price. You have the option of the battery grip (or a Chinese copy that is pretty darn good but without WR) and the K-30 doesn't offer that option. The K-5 is a serious upgrade from my K-x in terms of ISO performance and dynamic range so it ought to be an even bigger jump up from the K2000.

Good luck with your decision.
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Either the K5 or K30 would be a big upgrade from your Km/K2000. But, you've hung in there this long with the Km/K2000, why not wait just another couple of months to see what comes out at Photokina? The prices of the K5 and K30 will likely only get better with any new releases. The 18-135 would make a nice versatile zoom on either the K5 or K30. I have one that I use with the K5 and I think you would like the silence and quick focusing of the new DC motor in the 18-135 compared to your present zooms.

07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice . I will say that I do like the results of the 55-300 dal that I purchased on Ebay for 200usd . I work at an airport and the 18-135 seeems like a nice all around carry lens to take with me on the air field . I get some great shots but I really cant take all my gear with me .
07-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

There have been other threads that ask a similar question to yours. You are going to have to compare the two set of features - essentially the differences as to what is most important to you and what you want to shoot. Here is a thread with a good set of comparisons and discussions as to the features (post #10)...The main differences that affect me the most are...
  • K5's 14 bit A/D that would provide a bit broader dynamic range. Good for low light shooting
  • Wired Remote - a personal preference.
  • Expanded Bracketing - supports the broader dynamic range
  • ISO 80

07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Either the K5 or K30 would be a big upgrade from your Km/K2000. But, you've hung in there this long with the Km/K2000, why not wait just another couple of months to see what comes out at Photokina? The prices of the K5 and K30 will likely only get better with any new releases. The 18-135 would make a nice versatile zoom on either the K5 or K30. I have one that I use with the K5 and I think you would like the silence and quick focusing of the new DC motor in the 18-135 compared to your present zooms.
I agree that time will likely being the price on the K-30 down. However, history on pricing says you're wrong about the K-5 and its price. Once the replacement is announced it is likely to rebound in price somewhat. The lowest prices are when a Pentax model has been discontinued but not yet replaced in the lineup.
07-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree that time will likely being the price on the K-30 down. However, history on pricing says you're wrong about the K-5 and its price. Once the replacement is announced it is likely to rebound in price somewhat. The lowest prices are when a Pentax model has been discontinued but not yet replaced in the lineup.
You could well be right on this point Docrwm. The K5 prices are definitely very attractive at present - makes me pause to consider a second body myself!
07-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call the k-30 a "bridge" camera.
And certainly not an entry level/beginner camera...that's not to say it isn't a good choice for beginners though.
It's certainly not a flagship camera; I believe that will be announced in September.

If I may, I'd like to be another recommending the K-5.
Released two years ago, and I say you can't get better for the money.
It's an absolute beast.

We won't see FF anytime soon, I'm sure, but the k-5 replacement will likely be another 500 dollars on top of the current k-5 price.
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I wouldn't call the k-30 a "bridge" camera.
And certainly not an entry level/beginner camera...that's not to say it isn't a good choice for beginners though.
It's certainly not a flagship camera; I believe that will be announced in September.

If I may, I'd like to be another recommending the K-5.
Released two years ago, and I say you can't get better for the money.
It's an absolute beast.

We won't see FF anytime soon, I'm sure, but the k-5 replacement will likely be another 500 dollars on top of the current k-5 price.
Recall that the K-5 was released at around $1700 and some of the complaints were that it was higher MSRP than the Nikon I know it came down quickly but with Pentax's new Maximum Assured Pricing I'm a bit worried about what the debut cost of the K-5 replacement wil be.
07-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome!

If it is important to you to have the flagship camera the next time you buy, then you should wait until september. Regardless of FF or not, they are likely to release a new, top aps-c sensor camera. The k30 was intended to be a mid range with a more robust (although those k30 specs look pretty good!) camera model above it. In the event that they do release a FF, I think they will release both it and a k5 replacement. I just don't see them not producing a camera that fills the gap between $2200 (or maybe more) and $899.

I would expect a k5 replacement to be much more expensive though. K5 did release at $1500-1700. As mentioned above, Pentax started a new pricing program which restricts stores from deviating from msrp. This could mean that the new k5 would be at a $1600+ price tag for a long time...and that is what makes the current k5 prices so attractive.
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #15

I'll pipe up because I upgrade from the KM/K2000 last November.

What an improvement! Although I do prefer the size/weight of the km and the fact it can use AA batteries.

If I had to choose to upgrade today, it would be a tough call between the K-30 and the K5 - although I'm sure the K5 would prevail.. It really depends what features are important to you. Optional battery grip? Smaller size? AA Batteries? Better video controls?

I tend to purchase my bodies near the end of their cycle. Why? Better prices and less bugs.