Wait it out. 8237.10%
Leave for Canon 31.36%
Leave for Nikon 188.14%
Leave for Sony 10.45%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #76
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what choice should I make. I've already moved to digital Nikon, sold out digital Pentax, but still have my film Pentax (MZ-5n and FA limiteds) and now I am waiting out for Pentax FF DSLR

07-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted for "Wait it out", despite none of the possibilities really fit.

My budget doesn't allow to switch to or add FF in the foreseeable future.
Maybe - if this happens at all and I am still around - when the first Pentax entry level FF reaches the end of its life cycle; or even after that, if and when used bodies are down to 60% of the lowest "new" price.

Presently I am rather thinking about adding a budget MFT to my tools (with a kit zoom only and PK adapters). But I am not sure yet.
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I hear a lot about AF performance deficiencies but to be honest, AF is the least of my worries. I do look forward to Frogfish's adventure into nikon land and it will be interesting to see if the grass is really greener ont he other side of the fence, once he goes there.
Grass is certainly greener on other side as far as AF is concern. Fast & accurate focus, it's a day and night difference when compared to Pentax.
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there is one trend here, it's that folks don't like Canon....

07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Ive said it in other forums but I will repeat here, I don't really care about FF. I care a great deal about top notch AF and flash performance. If Pentax got on the same level as Nikon in those two areas, i would be pleased as punch and get in line for one.
07-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Nothing...just bought my K-5 a couple weeks ago.
07-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #82
Veteran Member

I will switch to FF only when it is in affordable price range like the k-5 right now.

07-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to why so many people would opt for Nikon over Canon? Isn't the 5dMkIII a great camera, too? Yeah, the DR of the D800 is phenomenal but the Mk3 still has the best AF among other things.
07-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I "can't live" without two dials in the appropriate places, like both Nikon and Pentax have. Of course Nikon has other ergonomic atrocities but the primary problem with canon is the lack of a thumb wheel where my thumb goes.
07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I "can't live" without two dials in the appropriate places, like both Nikon and Pentax have. Of course Nikon has other ergonomic atrocities but the primary problem with canon is the lack of a thumb wheel where my thumb goes.
Exactly. With Nikon I'm more or less comfortable and with Canon I feel like in another planet

Still Pentax ergonomics and camera control is the best.
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I'm curious as to why so many people would opt for Nikon over Canon? Isn't the 5dMkIII a great camera, too? Yeah, the DR of the D800 is phenomenal but the Mk3 still has the best AF among other things.
I haven't used the 5DIII but have no doubts it's a stellar camera (I'm a current 5DII owner). Canon took all of the complaints folks had with the 5DII and for the most part, fixed them. I don't remember many people really complaining about the 5D series' "lack of MP" until the D800...and then everyone suddenly felt like they were inadequate. Funny how people work.

I am quite happy with the 5DM2; I think it has a ton of functionality for the price (I bought it when the 5DIII came out). IQ is quite stellar unless there are shadows to be lifted. Ergonomics are not quite up to my K-5 but I get used to it. (My first DSLR was the 20D so I have a history with Canon). I like the Canon Joystick and large scroll wheel. That said, if you can get past the super small LCD, the original 5D used still gives impressive results after seven years. As far as the competition goes, I am sure the D700 is a great camera. I went for the 5DII for the cropping ability and video functions.
07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will probably commit Seppuku since the thought of using non-Pentax FF sickens me.
07-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I will probably commit Seppuku since the thought of using non-Pentax FF sickens me.
Ok, can I keep your lenses then?
08-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Ok, can I keep your lenses then?
I will put you in my will.
08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Not one thing different. Did shoot a D3 with the 300 2.8 last week, nice camera and lens but bigger and more expensive than I wish to spend on one. I will continue to shoot film and digital and having no problem switching a 50mm from the film camera to the digital knowning full well that the field of view is different on them. I have access to wider lenses with the cropped sensor than I ever did with film and shallow depth of field is just not that important. Or I have a fairly fast but old barrel lens on the 5X7 that is not only shallow wide open but swirly in the out of focus areas.

In short I will take lots of shots, get some good ones, blow some due to silly mistakes and get a year older. Might even buy a K30 if the need arrises but most likely not. If enough people jump ship perhaps some lenses will become really cheap but then I do not need any of them either