Leave for Nikon 188.14%
Leave for Sony 10.45%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am actually more interested in the Q since that really looks like a top notch piece of gear. I would buy one now but I am afraid that Pentax will do with that like they did with the LX, and leave it hanging out there with no upgrades or additional lenses. If they do come out with a Q2, and a few additional lenses, I will be all over it. I may buy one anyway. IMHO that little camera is the real future of photography. Small, flexible, and really good images for such a small sensor. Obviously it can't compete with full frame images or even with the top of the line APS-C images. But in its class it is one of the finest. It can be a real groundbreaker, just like the Leica was in the 30s, if Pentax will only commit to the platform instead of letting it die. A few improvements, a couple more serious lenses, and I seriously believe that little camera will be on its way.

As for full frame? Lots to choose from and trying to catch up with Canon and Nikon from behind is a mistake in my mind. Instead Pentax needs to flank them. The Q and the K-01 are a great start, just keep those balls rolling. Pentax should keep aggressively developing that little Q and let everyone chase them for a change!!
Be great if they continue to develop the Q line which is rather unique in the market.

08-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Sorry, that was a misprint. I was "thinking" noise. See edited text.
It looks unedited to me, but it doesn't really matter, it's not a problem.

You're saying that FF only has 12-15% better SNR, at best. Upon what is this statistic based? Could you go to Photozone and find a reasonably comparable APS-C and FF and show that FF only has 12-15% better SNR?

The only comparison I've done is on the D800 and it shows (1.5)^2 better SNR than the D7000 at the same aperture (which seems to be your assumption).
08-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #123
Veteran Member

I can wait as I have been waiting for decades.
Pentax is not my only choice.
08-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am actually more interested in the Q since that really looks like a top notch piece of gear. I would buy one now but I am afraid that Pentax will do with that like they did with the LX, and leave it hanging out there with no upgrades or additional lenses.

-snip-

The Q and the K-01 are a great start, just keep those balls rolling. Pentax should keep aggressively developing that little Q and let everyone chase them for a change!!
Contradiction: If the Q is such a great product, why would you be afraid of Pentax Ricoh Imaging abandoning it?

I agree though. The Q is a nice little camera... which sadly was hugely overpriced. And seriously doubt the other brands will chase Pentax over the Q. They already have their equivalents.

So, it seems like larger sensors is the only way to go. Or - thinking out of the box - multiple cheap sensors, which stitch the image instantly after it has been snapped. Sounds weird, but multiple sensor videocameras (3CCD) are/were used already quite a bit. For other reasons though.

08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It looks unedited to me, but it doesn't really matter, it's not a problem.

You're saying that FF only has 12-15% better SNR, at best. .
I didn't. I said it had one stop better; at least thats what I meant
08-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #126
Veteran Member

I'm not interested nor have a need for a FF camera right now.

But of course, that may change later down the road. For now, Pentax APS-C fulfills my needs.