Leave for Canon 31.36%
Leave for Nikon 188.14%
Leave for Sony 10.45%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What would you do if Pentax does not announce a FF for 2013?

Let's say Pentax does not announce an FF at Photokina however they make a new list of FF lens roadmap releasing from after Photokina until 2014. The roadmap will contain zooms such as a 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8. They do not announce a full frame but give hints it will almost certainly be available 2014. What will you do?

07-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will wait it out, but I will uptake the K5 replacement. I won't be too happy, but I will wait and spend the money put aside for the FF on other things. Instead of something that says Pentax, I will buy something that says Kawasaki. It's really up to Pentax. Someone in Japan will be happy.
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Business as usual. I am very happy with the quality I get from APS-C, and I love my K-mount glass.
I would still be interested in a 24x36 sensor Pentax if/when it materialises.
07-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not interested at the moment, Can't keep buying cameras, waiting the arrival of the K 30. 2014 would be much better, K5 would be asking to retire then I expect.

07-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm quite happy with my APS-C sensor. While full frame would be nice, realistically, I won't be able to afford it. That said, I'm not a professional, just a guy who likes to fiddle around with a camera, take some vacation pics etc.

I've been in the Pentax camp for many years....and will stay.
07-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

im still working on getting a k5 so FF can wait it out
07-25-2012, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why should anyone be disappointed at this point in time. We are 9 years into digital with a company that has maintained they were comitted to ASP-C format.

Any one who leaves because of lack of full frame should have never entered.

07-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the funds to switch right now, I may just go back to film.
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I refuse to look at my K200D as being over the hill so to speak. If I want to take a picture of something I figure out how to do it instead of thinking my camera won't do it because it's not the latest and greatest. I'd love to have a K-5 but that's not even in the long range picture. I will happily go snapping pictures with my camera while a lot of other people look for excuses instead of experimenting to get the shot they want.
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Happy with APS-C, it's what Pentax said they were committed to and they have proven to be so in spite of poor support from Hoya. Now that they appear to have better funding and greater commitment to actual cameras from Ricoh I'm hopeful that we'll get improvements in the APS-C lineup like better flash, more lenses, improvements in AF performance, etc.
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing is what I will do in that situation, I don't have compelling reason to update my (almost) 2yo K-5 anyway, with the recent acquired K-01 it should keep me happy for another year or 2.

Not to say that I won't be interested in the K-5 replacement or the mythical FF model, but they will have to be a marked leap in still image quality and AF performance before I even consider buying it.
07-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have plenty of problems getting a decent pic but it won't be solved by buying more gear.

I like to see better ISO performance, than from my K20, but other than that I don't feel limited by my gear.
Perhaps when good deals come up on a used k5 I might pull the trigger but that's about as far as I can see myself going at this point.
07-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well I was shooting film, cant justify the cost anymore, so now I shoot with a K-01, I love it, dont need anything else and when I do it'll be another APS-C Pentax camera because I'm not a pro and do not need pro gear, I do not understand the FF issue since if your not making money of your images an APS-C is just fine, if you want resolution for your "art" shoot film, pentax has beautiful medium and large format film cameras that are dirt cheap compared to digital and you can shoot film when you can justify the costs and the resolution will be amazing... I use FF lenses on my K-01 though just to be safe, so if they do release a FF I can swoop it up and start a pro kit for cheap, because I am planning to go to school for photography, but if they do not no big deal because if I'm charging for my images I might just skip formats and I'll take the 2 - 3 years to save up for one of pentax's medium format offerings at the time being for my last year of school and transition into the professional world...
07-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I tried leaving Canon for Pentax but couldn't get myself to sell the 5D, so now I shoot with both until I need a root canal or the car breaks down.
07-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It will be enough of an expenditure just to get the FF DSLR when they announce it. Switching systems would be even more painful. Nevertheless, such a time could come - when switching would make sense. However, I don't think this will be necessary, because it's unlikely they'll wait any longer than they have to to get a FF to market.

The whole point of FF is to get better DOF and wider angles out of the excellent glass I already have. Why would I want to switch? (But if I did, I like Sony's Carl Zeiss optics - but I'm not even sure I could afford a full 3 lenses with that body!)