Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 07:00 AM   #1

Can not buy batteries locally

This is sad. I order my K10D over the weekend and I wanted to get a little jump so I could play with it when it gets here. I was going to go out and buy a couple of batteries and a charger and have them ready to go. I can not find neither the D-LI50 or the NP-400 in any of the big box stores. We only have BestBuy and CircuitCity. I guess I will have to order the dang things and hope they get here before the camera which is doubtful. Is there another model battery out there that will work with the K10D or are these pretty much it with out getting into the generics? Pentax really need to start getting there products into the chain stores if they want to compete in the DSLR market.You can find a couple of point and shoots but no DSLR anywhere.

01-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Forum Member

Can't help you much on alternatives, but the good news is that you K10D will come with a battery and charger, and it only takes 3 hours (max) to fully charge the battery - during which time you can read through the manual a time or two!

You can check some of the other threads (under accesories, etc) about the pros and cons of non-Pentax batteries (MUCH cheaper, some risks); I haven't seen much discussion of alternate chargers - I have one, but am not completely happy with it.

Enjoy the new K10D!

Curt
01-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Curt. I see where some of the guys are using the Minnolat battery with out problems. As far as the generic fleabay and mass battery dot com stores I will stay away. Just blows you can not get them locally where I am.
01-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Perhaps you found the thread that spoke of b&h photo having the Minolta batteries for $10 each, but in case you haven't, I just ordered a couple yesterday for my K10D... shipping was around 5 bux. So now I'll have 3 batteries, and I think this will be more than enough.

01-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MNCurt-K10D Quote
Can't help you much on alternatives, but the good news is that you K10D will come with a battery and charger, and it only takes 3 hours (max) to fully charge the battery - during which time you can read through the manual a time or two!
DO WHAT???? READ THE MANUAL???

You've got to be kidding, right?

Only joking. If he wants a jump start on the manual however, he should download it from pentax, because at 234 pages it will take more than 3 houors
01-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The battery that came in the box with my K10D was charged enough to use it for a while.

I have been buying my 3rd party batteries for my K10D and D1/D1h from:

Welcome : InterBatteries

Good prices and quick shipping.

Dave
01-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a thought, but if they haven't sent your camera yet why not buy 1 or 2 spare batteries from them. And tell them that you'd like at least one of them to be fully charged.

My local camera store charged mine all up when he knew I was coming in. It was nice just putting the lens on and taking pictures on the trip home
01-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Perhaps you found the thread that spoke of b&h photo having the Minolta batteries for $10 each, but in case you haven't, I just ordered a couple yesterday for my K10D... shipping was around 5 bux. So now I'll have 3 batteries, and I think this will be more than enough.
No I did not but I am on their site right now and have 3 in the buggy. By the way any good advice out there for a charger? Do the 30 minute quick chargers work with the factory battery as well or should I stick with the slow charger?

01-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This one works very well with the OEM, Minolta NP400 and the Impact DL150s.
CTA Digital | MR-NP400 Mini Charger | MRNP400 | B&H Photo Video
Impact | DL150 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery | DL150 | B&H
01-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Ed in GA

Do you have a Batteries Plus or batteries unlimited in your town?

They might have the old NP-400 in stock.
01-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Do you have a Batteries Plus or batteries unlimited in your town?

They might have the old NP-400 in stock.
We have a batteries plus and I called them and almost chocked. For the old NP400 they wanted 49.99 and the only charger they have for them was 59.99. I will be patient. I am going to order 3 of the np400's and the 22.95 charger. With that and the one factory battery we ought to be able to take plenty of pictures.
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
We have a batteries plus and I called them and almost chocked. For the old NP400 they wanted 49.99 and the only charger they have for them was 59.99. I will be patient. I am going to order 3 of the np400's and the 22.95 charger. With that and the one factory battery we ought to be able to take plenty of pictures.
What? Why buy the charger when one comes with the camera? If you think it's going to be better think again. All fast charger's do is shorten battery life and this is from first hand experience.
01-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
well I suppose. I was wanting to get the battery and charger here before the camera and have the battteries charged. Guess I will wait and get the 3 for 9.95 each. That ought to be enough.
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If I was in your boat I'd search between here and DPReview for another member in my area who might have a spare battery they could loan out for that day.
There must be one.

If you offer to take them along on your shoot they'd probably be more than happy to loan it to you.

The Sigma SD14 batteries will work as well, and I understand that some Nikon's will.