Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you hold your Pentax DSLR?
Type 1 2762.79%
Type 2 1637.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with both eyes open (cameras and guns both), but the left eye has to be the one at the view finder.

07-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my left eye is much better ( brighter and much more vibrant colours) so have no choice.
07-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Just to clarify; we are talking only viewfinder shooting. No live view..... It is my right-eye at the viewfinder - but I know I am right-eye dominant from firearm shooting. I vary between one-eye and both eye. Shooting action, it's both eyes as others have noted. Really persnickety composition often finds me shooting with one eye. Also if the scene is very bright I will shoot with only one eye - I don't want my pupils to contract because the non-shooting eye is exposed to more light - - yes, I know my eyes react to light independently, but that can still throw me out of whack.
07-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Left eye for me-hence #1 although I intentionally shoot my right eye if I'm tracking something like a bird using my left eye to judge when something is coming into frame rather than zooming in/out. I close it just before focus and taking the shot.

07-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #20

Right eye and both open. Also learnt it from video shooting (semi-pro). Although wearing glasses makes it rather difficult.
07-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eerik Quote
Right eye and both open. Also learnt it from video shooting (semi-pro). Although wearing glasses makes it rather difficult.
I use this in some circumstances, as it's easier to check what's going on with both eyes open, but mostly when using lenses in the "normal" range.

However, without wishing to divert the thread too much, your note reminds me that wearing spectacles can be a real bugbear with most cameras. It would be good if manufacturers took a cue from some binocular makers, and introduced greater Eye Relief to viewfinders. I bought a pair of Eschenbachs some years ago, because they were good optically, but also because I don't have to take my specs off to use them. Pentax, in common with other optical manufacturers, should be well aware of this need, particularly given the growth of spectacle-wearing worldwide.