Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you hold your Pentax DSLR?
Type 1 2762.79%
Type 2 1637.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do you hold your DSLR horizontally?

Type 1 - Left eye

Type 2 - Right eye

I shoot with Type 1 because it covers my other eye so I don't have to close it. I see a lot of people shoot Type 2 which I don't ever get, it seems harder because when you close your other eye it makes your shooting eye smaller so you can't see clearly.

Last edited by LeDave; 07-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.
07-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could have simply asked about being left- or right-eyed. It made me confused a little comparing the two photos, not to mention the title - "How do you hold your DSLR horizontally?" Is it relevant that it's digital? Is it relevant that it's an SLR and not a rangefinder? Is it relevant that you're holding it horizontally? Nothing changes, as far as I'm aware, if you keep it vertically. And you didn't cover at all the option about keeping it at arm's length, or at waist level, but still keeping it horizontal.
However, I am left-eyed, so I opted for #1.
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

There was a right-eye/left eye poll some time ago...and here it is.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51629-right-eye-vs-left-eye.html
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Dont you just hate it when your nose makes Live View go active

07-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You could have simply asked about being left- or right-eyed. It made me confused a little comparing the two photos, not to mention the title - "How do you hold your DSLR horizontally?" Is it relevant that it's digital? Is it relevant that it's an SLR and not a rangefinder? Is it relevant that you're holding it horizontally? Nothing changes, as far as I'm aware, if you keep it vertically. And you didn't cover at all the option about keeping it at arm's length, or at waist level, but still keeping it horizontal.
Thanks you guys, edited my post a little to show left eye, right eye.
07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Dont you just hate it when your nose makes Live View go active
Lucky me I'm with Pentax and not that weird Canon touch-screen thing
07-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lucky me I'm with Pentax and not that weird Canon touch-screen thing
Hahaha exactly my thoughts on the touch screen too... I was thinking no touch screen so no weird nose problem.
07-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I shoot left, but the stance is all wrong. Left hand should cradle the lens, with the elbow drawn in to the chest. Left hip should face the subject more. I'm not saying what's right or wrong, but this method gives the best stability of the stances I've tried.

And yes, my beak does trigger LV sometimes. It's very annoying.

07-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I do it both ways without thinking. But I prefer L eye because that's got better vision. But I've been known to switch back and forth while shooting. I'm very ambidextrous and it's totally unconscious, always has been. About the only thing I don't do with both hands is write. But then again I can't write worth beans with either hand. I have terrible handwriting due to arthritis in my hands. This is why I have 3 computers. Keyboarding uses both hands at once. Perfect, though these days I voice type a lot for documents and writing, online too. Voice recognition is a truly awesome thing.
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I always shoot with my left eye, because it has slightly better vision. Nothing to do with comfort or holding it that way.

Does someone want to do a poll of how people hold their cameras vertically? I always have my right hand, with the grip, at the top, left hand under. In my experience, girls always hold it the other way around and it looks very uncomfortable.
07-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I do it both ways... except my left eye is better than my right eye, so left eye more often. Also, my left hand is usually grabbing the lens on top instead of from the bottom, since my left hand basically hold the camera when I am not shooting, so it is easier to grab the lens and rest it on my left shoulder.
07-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #12

Left eye most of the time for me. But if I used my right eye I prefer not to close my other eye. You don't have to close it but it does take a little effort to learn how to shoot this way.
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Gotta use right eye. Period.

How to Determine Your Dominant Eye: Step-by-Step Instructions
07-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Left eye, which is definitely the dominant one.

But I'm left-handed, too, so teaching my very ignorant right hand to do more than just hold the camera was important. Now, instead of pressing shutter with one finger and advancing film with thumb, I have to practice finding and "doing" the buttons. Happily they are vastly more comfortable and accessible than the ones on the office D80!
07-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I shoot with both eyes open.

The right eye looks into the viewfinder. The left eye looks around so I don't miss any opportunity.

Very important when shooting events, learned this when shooting video.