Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you sirs, I am now very happy that the topic has livened up.

@JinDeSu, I know sir, I just tried to point out some important things for me on a DSLR. sorry for confusion

@pinholecam thank you so much, your comments are highly useful and enlightening for me. About the AF issue I can't of course say exactly, but in my idea the Pentax AF system is a little different to Nikon's, like "choosing the most contrasty area between the center brackets" and everything. While using D90 I never had such an order (or never knew enough) and now I am finding it hard to get used to it in Pentax. I just forget that my K-5 might choose a different point to focus than what I've set my red point onto. And this happens alot on street shots. Just couldn't get used to it.

About LCD sharpness I really don't care, I am using the instant 4X mag. and that is more revealing everytime. And the situation you are saying is also present in K-5 LCD too, it has confused me quite a many time, wrongly letting me thing I focused well.

I think for Menu and Settings both Pentax and Nikon interfaces are good. Tabs, you can use the menu with the wheels and everything. Comfortable. But what I was trying to point out was that you can't use the Pentax interface fast. I mean, e.g. I need to get to C11 and I am pushing buttons and turning the wheels to get there, some which pushes and turns are in vain; the camera ignores them and does nothing. You have to press again. But this is more frustrating while making more on-the-fly settings like ISO or Aperture and it ignores your pushes and turns. For example, when I am at f/2.0 in Nikon, I know when I quickly turn the front dial 6 clicks, I am in f/4.0. But in Pentax you always have to check if it has "felt" all the 6 clicks and got to f/4.0. I might be being a bit of a scab here pointing out such fine issues. but they are right there with me, sorry.

I am using a Class 10 Toshiba by the way.

About the IQ I really needed guidance. You've given me some now. Since I resize (down) almost all my photos and I rarely print, I won't see much difference, will I? I saw when comparing 100% crops of the K-5 and the D7000 that while K-5 crops are always cleaner, Nikon crops had more noise, but had more contrast and vivid colors. K-5 crops were buttery clean, D7000 crops were more lively. So it will reflect on the whole-size image. Do you agree?

The quieter focusing lenses are a bit of an issue. I knew this was a tradeoff when I was coming to Pentax. They don't go with a buttery-silent shutter. Hell Nikon's shutter is not as silent as Pentax, I am aware.

The lenses are not equivalent in class, I know. But they probably will be my new arsenal in Nikon, since Nikon 85mm 1.4 is very expensive, and I don't want to use the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for being fed up with its misfocusing. The Nikon 35mm 1.4 is waay expensive, therefore I am gonna settle with 1.8's this time. So my comparison lines up that way. Yeah, my 85* is (was) good copy. I know and I put the FA* 85 a reason to keep me in Pentax.

The guy whom I sold the 85 asked "Will you stay in Pentax now?" and then he answered himself;

"After selling a lens like this, you probably won't" -he was right.

And yes in Turkey, the support opportunities are not kinda much. Much better than smaller countries but, there is no legal distributor here. Almost everything gets bought and sold between forum users and at times you have to wait for a certain lens to come up. And see I probably was the only Pentaxian in Turkey to have an FA* 85. The same for Sigma 30mm.

I am thinking of Photokina too. Or the market movement going into Photokina, I am expecting price reductions in current models. Maybe than a D700 enters my budget and I'll jump onto one.

Last edited by Crosshair; 08-02-2012 at 01:24 AM.
08-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@bossa Yes, maybe I am doing that without knowing. Your experiences with the D800E can help me alot. I am just shocked that 50mm 1.4 G cannot compare to the 55 1.4*. But there might be a FF issue here. I also didn't know 50 1.4 G was FF-compatible. Anyways gow do they compare in AF performance?

@TOUGEFC thank you

Last edited by Crosshair; 08-02-2012 at 01:22 AM.
08-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
About the IQ I really needed guidance. You've given me some now. Since I resize (down) almost all my photos and I rarely print, I won't see much difference, will I? I saw when comparing 100% crops of the K-5 and the D7000 that while K-5 crops are always cleaner, Nikon crops had more noise, but had more contrast and vivid colors. K-5 crops were buttery clean, D7000 crops were more lively. So it will reflect on the whole-size image. Do you agree?
Without being 'funny' a P&S would give you good enough shots for the web or computer. I have printed some great 8x10 shots from a 3.3 mp Oly (and those were under-water) !

Maybe than a D700 enters my budget and I'll jump onto one.
The D700 has been discontinued. Still plenty of stock around it seems but I don't believe the cost will drop any more at all.

As someone else here said - you seem to be looking for validation from us to switch to Nikon - when you have already made up your mind. If you are 'used to' Nikon and are happier with their gear then that is where you should be, though in reality for what you want it for virtually any decent camera would give you the IQ quality at least and unless going FF with the D700 I just don't see the point of changing brands.
08-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

You might want to look at this if you haven't already.
And? Most likely they were comparing contrast detect AF in DSLRs in LiveView.

08-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I agree with that. Almost every shot from my D800E where Auto WB is selected is wrong. The blues are screwed way out of whack particularly. I find myself fooling around with LR4's WB controls incessantly.
???? I have no problems with auto-WB on my D800... What camera profile are you using with LR?
08-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Personally I don't know that K-5 --> D7000 is much of an upgrade with regard to AF. It might give you a little higher keeper ratio in bad light... But If I were you I'd wait for Photokina to see what Pentax & Nikon bring out, or make the big jump to a D700 or D800 if you want to change systems.
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually tried out a D700 at a photostore. I was okay with the weight, but the size really put me off. It was like I was holding a dead puppy in my hand (a saying in Turkish) so my FF selection was decided: NO. At least not yet.

But I can wait for Photokina. Although I am very impatient with such things.
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is tough getting an unbiased opinion on a pentax fan site
there are many reasons for and against a pentax.... you just need to figure out what things are a bigger priority in your photography. both models you mentioned are very capable performers,

good luck with you decision

randy

08-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I trust this site, I've rarely encountered pentax fanboys here. Nuff said I think

The problem is I am not making an upgrade, but just contemplating a lateral movement between models. I opened this thread just to talk but it has come to a point where it began to teach me. So yeah, I'll go with my taste.
08-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I think it is tough getting an unbiased opinion on a pentax fan site
there are many reasons for and against a pentax.... you just need to figure out what things are a bigger priority in your photography. both models you mentioned are very capable performers,

good luck with you decision

randy
Fanboys?
This place is so tolerant to turn-coats, haters and smartie theorists that it scares away as many ppl interested in Pentax as it attracts.
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I actually tried out a D700 at a photostore. I was okay with the weight, but the size really put me off. It was like I was holding a dead puppy in my hand (a saying in Turkish) so my FF selection was decided: NO. At least not yet.

But I can wait for Photokina. Although I am very impatient with such things.

Wait for Photokina.
You can only be rewarded for your patience.

You can see what comes out from Pentax and Nikon.
Then there is the D600 rumor (D7000 size but FF)
At the least, prices of existing models drop once the new models are announced.
08-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
???? I have no problems with auto-WB on my D800... What camera profile are you using with LR?
I've been using the Adobe Standard calibration profile. I assume that's what you mean?
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Jay. Pop over to FM or DPR for a look at their Nikon forums. There are multiple threads on the issues of a blue cast/tinge/inaccuracy of the D800's AWB and also the left AF point focusing issue that has had so many sending their D800 cameras in for repair. This seems to be a bigger issue than the K5 sensor stain !

I nearly bought a D800 last week ..... I've reigned in that gee gee for the moment.
08-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Related to the current topic, more on Nikon D800 (and other brands) quality control, AF issues etc:

Anatomy Of A Nikon D800 Repair

A few tales of customer service and “professional” support in the world of photography ? Ming Thein | Photographer
08-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Have owned a D7000 for two years now.

I am a rockclimber, mountaineer and cover indoor climbing comps - demands on my camera have been severe to say the least.

It has NEVER let me down and I can quite easily say my hit rate is 95%.

When I cover comps I cannot have any failures as the pics are required for publication - lighting is generally very bad requiring a minimum of 3200 1/50sec F 5.6.

I use slight fill flash to illuminate the subject better.

16-85 @ 85 wide open 5.6 ISO 3200 Fill flash with pop up flash

35 1.8G ISO 6400

High Contrast Processing ISO 6400 16-85

New York Street

World Cup - Imst

Alps

Durban Beach

Anyway you should get the idea that the D7000 is a very very capable dslr and can withstand much use and punishment - the lenses IMOH are stellar.

These are not specially selected images I have hundreds of keepers from this dslr

I primarily use the 16-85 VR, 35 1.8G and 70-300 VR