Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Crosshair:
Doesn't seem like anyone addressed your issue w/ the photo in the original post. I'm fairly certain it's because you've been hit by the big fat Pentax AF sensor site problem. The dots in the viewfinder are a lot smaller than the size of the sensors...the sensors lock onto whatever has the most contrast.
You can sort of work around this by zooming in first, locking focus, then zooming out.

Canikon bodies have sensors that are a lot smaller...not as small as the dot in the viewfinder, but smaller. So in that respect, you'd be happier w/ a D7000. I think I'd be happier w/ a D800e but my wallet would most definitely not be ;-)

08-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Canikon bodies have sensors that are a lot smaller...not as small as the dot in the viewfinder, but smaller. So in that respect, you'd be happier w/ a D7000. I think I'd be happier w/ a D800e but my wallet would most definitely not be ;-)
Do note the D800 is experiencing serious AF issues atm. A good numberof bodies is affected, and Nikon is aware of the problem. The only solution so far is to return it until you get a working one.

I'm waiting until next year to pick one up.
08-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #63
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there are many other issues affecting focus accuracy than the AF system of different brands, models or even individual gear.

Each has its own requirment/style and own preference/tenchnique/skill in using his camera to take the pictures he likes!
Selection or switch between brands and models is quite a subjective matter!
08-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
I trust this site, I've rarely encountered pentax fanboys here. Nuff said I think

The problem is I am not making an upgrade, but just contemplating a lateral movement between models. I opened this thread just to talk but it has come to a point where it began to teach me. So yeah, I'll go with my taste.
I guess passionate owners would be a better say of putting it
Not meant to insulate anyone

randy

08-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OH MAN!!
I tried my friends d7000 with nikon 17-55 f2.8.
The auto focus in low light is way way better than my k-5 with 16-50.
It is just so precise, fast, hardly hunt.
At that moment I really want switch to d7000....
One thing is that the focus assist light light on much often than k-5's which I think helps focus a lot and is more powerful than k-5's.

but in day light, I think not much difference between two.
08-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
funny thing is, here in our pentax community we have a common idea that, while the k-5 focuses very precisely and hardly misses focus in low light, it makes majority of its misfocuses on good light.

---------
correction: here in our community in Turkey.

Last edited by Crosshair; 08-09-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: correction
08-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
funny thing is, here in our pentax community we have a common idea that, while the k-5 focuses very precisely and hardly misses focus in low light, it makes majority of its misfocuses on good light.
I would respectfully disagree. The biggest thing is training yourself to know how the camera acts. Once you do so, you can work with it. The K5 is better than the k100, the K10, the K20 or the K7 with regard to auto focus and probably because I was used to getting shots with those cameras, I didn't struggle too much with the K5.

I hope that Pentax releases an improved auto focus module, but the biggest thing would be to release something instead of SDM to put in the upper end lenses that has more speed to it.

08-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
OH MAN!!
I tried my friends d7000 with nikon 17-55 f2.8.
The auto focus in low light is way way better than my k-5 with 16-50.
It is just so precise, fast, hardly hunt.
At that moment I really want switch to d7000....
One thing is that the focus assist light light on much often than k-5's which I think helps focus a lot and is more powerful than k-5's.

but in day light, I think not much difference between two.
Even my Sony HX5 focus's very fast in good light - it's when we need the camera to perform in less than ideal situations with ideal outcomes, this is where the difference comes in and why paid sport togs will use a D3s or Mkiv for it's af superiority in low light.

As mentioned earlier I needed a dslr that could give me a definable constant result using af in low light and when using flash - I simply couldn't take the risk with the K5.

Also Nikon zoom lenses just focus far faster in inclement light than anything similar from Pentax.

3D tracking is (which Pentax do not have to my knowledge) is incredibly accurate and extremely helpful in a lot of situations.

I own the consumer Pentax 55-300 and the Nikon 70-300 VR - it simply is no contest with re af speed, lock on and generally lens build

The other day I took out my K10D and put the 55-300 on it (it's still a very sharp lens) but it just felt archaic after using the 70-300 for just on two years

I do have a mate who is one of those guys who "will never leave Pentax over his dead body" types and he bought the K5 but has given up on covering indoor climbing comps and such
08-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Even my Sony HX5 focus's very fast in good light - it's when we need the camera to perform in less than ideal situations with ideal outcomes, this is where the difference comes in and why paid sport togs will use a D3s or Mkiv for it's af superiority in low light.

As mentioned earlier I needed a dslr that could give me a definable constant result using af in low light and when using flash - I simply couldn't take the risk with the K5.

Also Nikon zoom lenses just focus far faster in inclement light than anything similar from Pentax.

3D tracking is (which Pentax do not have to my knowledge) is incredibly accurate and extremely helpful in a lot of situations.

I own the consumer Pentax 55-300 and the Nikon 70-300 VR - it simply is no contest with re af speed, lock on and generally lens build

The other day I took out my K10D and put the 55-300 on it (it's still a very sharp lens) but it just felt archaic after using the 70-300 for just on two years

I do have a mate who is one of those guys who "will never leave Pentax over his dead body" types and he bought the K5 but has given up on covering indoor climbing comps and such
But those Nikon 17-55 and 70-300 lenses cost about 60% more than the Pentax equivalent ones, at least that's so in the U.K. as of 5 minutes ago. I can't think of any other hardware hobby apart from photography where people compare a cheaper item unfavourably with a substantially more expensive one, as if cost doesn't matter.
08-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
You see, something like this drives me nuts. If you are talking about birds in flight, maybe athletics or even football/rugby then there might be a point (though I've covered paid shoots for 7's rugby and X games without any issue whatsoever, and in fading light and under spotlights - check my SmugMug below) but for indoor rock climbing ? Gimme a break ! User error or not the right lenses.
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #71
Forum Member

hm, i've done it the opposite way: switched from D7000 to K5.

the D7000 is a real good camera, but the K5 is better. i don't mean the pictures! the handling of the K5 is much better, the quality of the pics is the same (hopefully you will spend your money for good lenses).

an example: when i grab the K5 out of my bag, the mode dial is fixed - so i'm sure, it will be on the same position. the mode dial on the D7000 very, very often switched the position. when you are in hurry, this fact can be a problem.
08-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you, yes I find the mode dial will make me check it too every time I pull the camera off the bag.

I hope the IQ and headroom of the D7k will be as good as the K5's. Today while processing some images, I had to boost +3.0 EV in a very-underexposed image and it was just fine. I hope I will get this in the D7k too. And I hope the JPEG output of the D7k will be as good as that of the K-5.

About the handling, D7k might be better suited to my hands, since I think the buttons of the K5 is built for small hands, as if the Japanese built it for themselves. Sometimes my fingers jumble when I try to make fast changes on settings. D7k physical controls are just better to me.

I am close to finding a second hand bargain D7k, The lenses will probably be 24mm 2.8 D and 85mm 1.8 D. I listed all my equipment, lenses are gone, and I am waiting for the body to be sold.

Last edited by Crosshair; 08-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
08-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You see, something like this drives me nuts. If you are talking about birds in flight, maybe athletics or even football/rugby then there might be a point (though I've covered paid shoots for 7's rugby and X games without any issue whatsoever, and in fading light and under spotlights - check my SmugMug below) but for indoor rock climbing ? Gimme a break ! User error or not the right lenses.

+1.
I've even done boxing with a slower AF K7.
08-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I can't speak for the D7000, but my D90's autofocus is head and shoulders above my k-5's, especially with tracking moving objects. I find the K-5's interface and buttons much much more intuitive than the D90's though.
08-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I can't speak for the D7000, but my D90's autofocus is head and shoulders above my k-5's, especially with tracking moving objects. I find the K-5's interface and buttons much much more intuitive than the D90's though.
There is no doubt that Nikon's AF is far superior to any other manufacturer's out there (with the exception of the new 5DIII - which, by all accounts, is the new 'King'), but that isn't the point. A Ferrari can do 200 mph (320kph) but that doesn't mean your Ford/GM can't easily manage 100 mph (160 kph) which covers most situations.

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.